Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Transplant?

StaceyB
September 29th, 2005, 11:53 PM
So Dr.'s are about to do the first ever face transplant.

If you were able to trade in a body part for a new one what would it be?

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 12:38 AM
The first StaceyB question of the night! I feel so unemployed... :D

Hmmm. It's funny, despite my rather enormous hips (even without the meat on them, they're huge), I still wouldn't trade them. I don't want to become breakable... :)

Can I say my thyroid? Or is that cheating? The thing is, I'd trade my under-chin but I think the majority of it is caused by my thyroid... Even if I am at the peak of skinniness, I still appear to have a double chin (that only I notice, of course) because the muscle that connects my chin to my hyoid bone is very tight (it's a genetic thing). But like I said, it's probably tight because my thyroid is pushing or pulling on it. :rolleyes:

Bearsmom
September 30th, 2005, 07:00 AM
I'd change my mommy tummy. And my big butt.

I'd probably also want my knees replaced/transplanted/whatever because after years of sports abuse, they're aching.

Other than that, quite awhile ago I realized I'll never be:
*willowy
*lean
*a size 2
*short

I enjoy now that I'm taller than most people, can shop in the plus size department, and still feel beautiful. I just look at how well my mom's aged, and figure that wrinkles etc show character

TobsterMom
September 30th, 2005, 07:11 AM
My legs. I would love to have long beautiful legs. My mother would have a fit if she saw this thread. I have to agree with what she would say...

"You have 2 legs that work perfectly dear, you're very blessed"

Yes mom, but for the sake of vanity and this thread, I want long sexy legs :o

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 30th, 2005, 07:38 AM
I would trade my legs especially the calves they are huge. No matter what I do they just stay that way.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 30th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Bearsmom=
willowy
*lean
*a size 2
*short

thats ditto for me to, thats okay, if we were a size 2 people might pick us up turn us upside down and try to sweep the floor with us. :D

Rick C
September 30th, 2005, 09:22 AM
I'd trade in whatever makes me lactose intolerant . . . . its so fracking annoying to fall prey to a delicious chocolate milkshake in the afternoon on the road then have it come back to bite you after supper. :sorry:

I'm not sure you can transplant your guts though. :eek:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Schwinn
September 30th, 2005, 09:32 AM
I too would like to trade in my legs...sort of. I do like my cyclists muscle, but they need to be longer. I think someone already got my legs. For years I used to think that the driver's side of the car had the seat higher for some reason until a buddy of mine, who is 2-4 inches taller, pointed out that I was still taller than him sitting on the passenger side. I think that's why people always think I'm taller than I am.

I'd also like to trade my stomach. I've always wanted a six pack (instead of my current 2-4). Cheryl says that my washboard abs are just on the "gentle cycle".

Puppyluv
September 30th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I'd trade in my liver, but since that's a real-day possibility, and is therefore no fun, I will say...my hiney, or lack thereof, it isn't much fun shaking it, when there's nothing to shake. It's not just a matter of weight either, at my max and min weights and everywhere in between, I have never had a butt ~grumble grumble, thanks mom~

StaceyB
September 30th, 2005, 11:18 AM
These are all great. I need a whole body replacement but the tummy would be a good start.

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I'd trade in my liver, but since that's a real-day possibility, and is therefore no fun, I will say...my hiney, or lack thereof, it isn't much fun shaking it, when there's nothing to shake. It's not just a matter of weight either, at my max and min weights and everywhere in between, I have never had a butt ~grumble grumble, thanks mom~
Oh I feel for you. If you need a hiney donor, let me know. There's plenty for everybody... :D

And Rick, with all these gastric bypass surgeries, I'm sure you could find a spare stomach somewhere...

Schwinn
September 30th, 2005, 01:44 PM
I have never had a butt ~grumble grumble, thanks mom~

How do your legs stay on? Can you sit? And if you don't have a butt, do you still need underwear? (I just crossed a line, didn't I?)

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 01:48 PM
LOL you can't cross the line, Schwinn. You're already WAYYYY on the other side.

Puppyluv
September 30th, 2005, 02:03 PM
do you still need underwear? (I just crossed a line, didn't I?)

Well now that you ask.... KIDDING!!!

CyberKitten
September 30th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I am tired so maybe I don;t see the humour in this. I have been spending long hours performing surgery and caring for really ill children in Las - tho am home now (yay!!) - and the idea of choosing anything for transplant makes me want o just scream. Arrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! There, I got that off my system!!!

I would like a new back or at least some new thoracic vertebrae. I cannot imagine a face transplant - I mean why would anyone want to be anyone other than who you are?

Puppyluv
September 30th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I would like a new back or at least some new thoracic vertebrae. I cannot imagine a face transplant - I mean why would anyone want to be anyone other than who you are?
A year or two ago they had an article in the NYT magazine about (the then prospective) face transplants. The doctors behind it said that the purpose was for post-trauma restoration (burns, car crashes, etc), not merely vanity. Also, if you got a face transplant from person X, you wouldn't look like X at all, because of your bone structure. They ran a really neat series of photos to show what it would look like.

Puppyluv
September 30th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Here's the original article:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/health/article-page.html?res=940CE5D61F3CF93AA35750C0A9659C8B63
Many have been written since, but this was the first I'd seen.

StaceyB
September 30th, 2005, 04:38 PM
It is quite amazing what can be done to our bodies whether to make us look good or save our lives, just amazing.

CyberKitten
September 30th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I know the reason Puppyluv, it was a rhetorical question. I just think there are so many ethical questions about all of this. We have a tough enuf time on our hospital's ethics committee as it is now - and new procedures are being created all the time. Consumers demand one thing, researchers bemoan the "bureacracy" of the ethics committee et al. And there are so many questions we must all ask ourselves.

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 10:36 PM
It's not real CK. It's just a game here. I know in real life there is so much baggage about this subject, but for a minute, we're having fun. Nobody is actually having transplant surgery (except maybe Puppyluv :o ). It's just a different way of saying "If you could change anything about your body what would it be?"

StaceyB
September 30th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Yes, sorry if I upset you. All this was intended for was a lighter thread than what we have had lately. It was just for fun and I figured It could include anything not just stuff for looks.

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 10:59 PM
It is fun! :) I get to sell pieces of my hiney! Everybody WINS! Oops, no sorry, I meant "donate" (i.e. no selling on pets.ca)... I am willing to give it FREE!

CyberKitten
October 1st, 2005, 01:43 PM
I guess I have had to change so much of myself (physically) unwillingly thru surgery that it is literally impossible to think of it as funny. Sorry to be such a party pooper - I prob should have skipped this thread. :) And I do actual bone marrow transplants that are a matter of life and death so the word has nothing in it that is remotely amusing to me. Not that there are no amusing moments in my work or even in my own situation. I sometimes think of myself as the real $6 million woman because I have so much hardware in my body - tho it did not cost $6 million (but enough since I had the surgeries in Boston, lol)

Anyway.....

shannonRN
October 1st, 2005, 01:49 PM
So many cheap piece of @#$ jokes come to mind that I don't know where to start, so I won't...This is a family site. LOL.

There are times that I seriously consider rhinoplasty b/c I really get upset when I see my nose in pictures, and I have an old fracture and deviated septum that makes it hard to breathe anyhow. I just don't think of myself as looking the way I do when I see pictures of myself. But then it occurs to me that I could be even more unhappy with my nose afterwards and I just avoid having pictures taken most of the time or avoid looking at them.

Prin
October 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM
So many cheap piece of @#$ jokes come to mind that I don't know where to start, so I won't...This is a family site. LOL.Jokes about what? The things you would change?

shannonRN
October 1st, 2005, 02:01 PM
Oops, I guess I should have utilized the quote--that's what it's there for. Also, CK's post was not there when I opened the reply window.
I get to sell pieces of my hiney! Everybody WINS! Oops, no sorry, I meant "donate" (i.e. no selling on pets.ca)... I am willing to give it FREE!
Sorry for the confusion...my bad. :p

Prin
October 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM
Oh, ok. It's funny then. :D