Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange behavoir(eating poop)

mom of rotties
September 29th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Hello all. I have a question to ask. This morning when I let my doggies out as per usual for their morning pee time I noticed that my rotti/chow started eating the others bowel movement as it was exiting her body. I went out and told her she was bad and not to do that. I have never seen a dog do this before and do not know the corrective action I should be taking. Can anyone help.....Also when she burps now it well smells like crap. What can I do other then letting them out seperate. They love to play but this is just so gross and I feel bad that they cannot play togther for fear of the dog eating poop. Any suggestions.

Lucky Rescue
September 29th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Other than being disgusting (to us) what they are eating has already been rejected by the dog's body once, so is not really good for them.

You'll have to take the poop eater out on leash so you can correct her when she starts to do this. Teach her to "Leave it" and when she does, you can reward her with a tasty treat.

I would also brush her teeth. Yuck. :yuck:

mom of rotties
September 29th, 2005, 06:41 PM
She has been leashed today and not allowed in the run until I go on poop patrol. Yucky is right I am just glad she is not a kissy dog...eewwwwwwww.Now brushing her teeth could be a problem as she hates us checking her mouth, but I know I have to do something its just so gross. Thank you for the advice and I will try it out.

StaceyB
September 29th, 2005, 07:04 PM
I would consult your vet about this. If she were eating her own it wouldn't be a problem even though it is gross. You may want to try giving deter to the non poop eater. This will make it taste disgusting for the other.

lovesiamesecats
September 29th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Hi,
Years ago, I had a mixed-breed dog that I adopted from an animal rescue group. Moose had that very same habit until I did a bunch of research and found that sometimes it is caused by a lack of a particular nutrient in a dog's diet. Just before that, I had lost a very beloved Cairn terrier (also adopted as a grown dog) to throat cancer that was inoperable. Before she died, I tried to fight the cancer with a homemade, super-healthy diet. I had grown somewhat lazy and was feeding Moose what I thought was a pretty good commercial food. I was working full-time and didn't have the time to make mass quantities of doggie food, so was getting desperate for ideas. I came across something called Sojourn dog and cat food, which you mix with other ingredients to make great food. It seemed to do the trick for Moose, along with behavior training. Also, picking up the poops immediately so there's no temptation helped. He thought they were "popsicle poops", as it was winter when I go him. Ewwwww! I can't absolutely vouch that it was the food that turned him around, but might be worth a try to feed a different food for a month and watch what happens? Can totally identify with how disgusting it is, good luck!

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 09:26 PM
I would also look at the food you are feeding. If all the dogs' stools are tasty, they might not be absorbing enough of the nutrient content to be really healthy.