Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog has very infrequent bowel movements

jamez
September 29th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I have a 2 year old golden retriever/chow mix. I've had him for about 1 and 1/2 years now. He seems to have very infrequent bowel movements. At times he will wait up to 5 days, but his norm is at least 2 - 3 days this really stresses me out because I think he is uncomfortable and in pain, but I do not see any outward signs of discomfort or pain from him. I live in a townhouse without a yard and work from home. I walk him often and encourage him go while we are on our walks. He sniffs around and does a little dance; this can last for minutes as he seems to be looking for a perfect spot. At times he really seems ready to go, but the slightest distraction (rustling leaves, a car passing by, etc) will disrupt him and he will go back to his playful self and forget that he has to go. I often take him to visit my sister's home as she has a good sized yard. When he arrives he immediately finds the place he frequently has bowel movements and relieves himself. This behavior tells me that he really has to go, but just doesn't like going when we are on walks. This really concerns me. I know this cannot be normal. He NEVER messes the house (since I've owned him he has only defecated once in the house, when he was sick). What can I do to help him?

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Your dog needs 2-3 BMs a DAY, not one every 3 days! Have you seen the vet about this?? You're right about this not being normal. You need to see the vet. It probably isn't very comfortable for the doggy.. :(

TobsterMom
September 29th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Your dog should have at least one bowel movement a day. It could possibly be a food related issue, and even more possibly a health related issue. As for the "finding the perfect spot" routine and the "distracted by the least little thing"... my golden does the EXACT same thing, but he eventually will go if I am very patient with him. I would seriously mention this to your vet, constipation can be caused from many things, but only your vet will know for sure.

Oh, and by the way...Welcome to the forum! :thumbs up

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 05:54 PM
I have to add- Boo used to go on "strike" when he couldn't find his spot, but after I switched foods, he became a LOT more free about where and when he would go. It might be worth a try.

StaceyB
September 29th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Do you let him go in your yard?

raingirl
September 30th, 2005, 08:16 AM
he doesn't have a yard stacey.

I think you need to find a quiet place on your walk where there will be no distractions, and just stand there until he goes (may be a while) and make that a routine. Always the same quiet place. Is there a park where you could take him to one corner away from everything?