Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are bromeliads toxic to cats?

lovesiamesecats
September 29th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Hi, just barely became a member because I adore my two kitties and all Siamese in general, and don't ever want to inadvertently cause them to be sick. I have been trying to find out whether or not this houseplant that was given to me is toxic to cats. It's called a Vase plant, or sometimes called an Urn plant. It has long, wide strap-like leaves that are kind of silver streaked and has a well in which it catches water when it's summering outside, and from which it apparently sends up a flower in June. It is of the Bromeliad family, and I downloaded and printed a list of plants that are poisonous and it isn't on there, but want to be absolutely sure. Anyone heard of a cat getting sick chewing on one? Thanks very much!

chico2
September 29th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Hi and welcome! I know what plant you are talking about,I had(it died)one and 3 cats,I don't know if it is toxic or not to cats.
I have tons of houseplants and my cats never touch them,I would think the thick leaves of a Bromeliad would not be attractive to cats.
They seem to be more into grass-like plants like Spider-plants.
Buy your cats some cat-grass you can grow in the house,indoor cats love it.
Then you can Google House plants toxic to cats and find out about the Bromeliad.

Lucky Rescue
September 29th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Here's a pretty good list of toxic plants.
http://www.doctordog.com/catbook/catpoison.html

lovesiamesecats
September 29th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks to Debs Lucky Rescue and Chico for your replies to my question; much, much appreciated. I had read on an UK cat site (the folks over the pond love their pets, too!) that cats love Parsley plants, sage and thyme!
Soooo, since we are under a frost warning tonight, I went out to the garden and dug up a parsley plant and brought it inside, potted. Chloe, my Siamese, marched right up and nuzzled it. She has always been scolded for chawing on any houseplants, so was surprised when my guy encouraged her to eat it! We'll see if she and Carissa choose to graze on it. Thanks again...

chico2
September 30th, 2005, 07:34 AM
You're welcome! You can also bring in some cat-nip cuttings,they usually grow wild almost anywhere.
My cats have a little patch and they love it.