Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pitbull in Ontario, attacked by another dog & loses leg

Georgiapeaches
September 29th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Lexy has nine lives

By W. Brice McVicar
Local News - Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Cats are known to have nine lives but Lexy, a one-and-a-half year old Staffordshire Terrier, may change that myth.

While playing in a pen at the Loyalist Veterinary Hospital, the canine seemed oblivious to the more than a dozen puncture wounds and the road map of scars covering her body. Even more shocking was the ease in which she ran in spite of having lost her left rear leg only days ago.

It's been slightly more than a week since Lexy was the victim of a vicious attack by another dog. Overcome by what is believed to have been a Husky, staff at the local animal hospital and Humane Society said this case has turned the tables on dog attacks as pit bulls are commonly believed to be the most vicious breed.

Last Sunday's attack marked the dog's second brush with death and is added to a life that staff at the local animal hospital referred to as incredible.

Roughly one year ago, Lexy was involved in a motor vehicle accident when her owner at the time attempted to outrun pursuing police and crashed his vehicle.
During the accident the dog was ejected from the car and broke its leg.

The leg was repaired at Loyalist Veterinary Hospital and the canine was turned over to friends of her original owner. A call to the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, however, reported the new owners were mistreating the animal.

Bill McQuaid, an investigator with the SPCA and a clinic assistant at the Loyalist Veterinary Hospital, said it was not so much that the dog was being mistreated but that the owners simply did not want the dog.

She was surrendered to us and we sent her to a foster home and they worked with her getting her leg strengthened and it was really working well, he said.

All that work was for naught as the attack on Sunday resulted in the same leg being broken once again.

It snapped, McQuaid said. It broke and we got her in here and the people who had her in foster care they wanted to keep her but they had no money. The decision was if there was no money she'd have to be put down.

McQuaid said the decision was made not to euthanize the dog because of her nature a loving and kind animal. Lexy's leg could not be repaired as the bone had come through the skin leaving the clinic no option but to ampute the limb.

Jenny Duffy, manager of the Humane Society of Quinte, said the individual who was fostering Lexy witnessed the attack and said the pit bull simply laid down as it was attacked. She didn't even try to fight back.

With the dog now missing a leg, the original foster home who had intended to adopt Lexy has showed no interest in taking the dog back :( . Humane Society staff are now left with both a $1,300 veterinarian bill and the task of finding a responsible, loving home for the dog.

She's going to come back here but we'd like to get her into a responsible foster home just for her recuperation, Duffy said.

McQuaid said though he has seen the result of numerous dog attacks in his profession, the level of Lexy's injuries and wounds are a first for him.

This completely turns the tables. I have never seen anything like this. I've seen where a pit bull has bitten a dog on the side of the head or along the neck but I've never seen an actual pit bull attacked by another dog which wasn't a pit bull and have so many punctures and scratches.

For information on adopting Lexy or to donate funds to help with the veterinarian bill phone the Humane Society at 968-4673.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/JpGeo/lexi.jpg

:sad: poor girl has had a rough life.

story (http://www.intelligencer.ca/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentID=127206&catname=Local+News)

Beaglemom
September 29th, 2005, 01:52 PM
What a beautiful dog! Poor thing, she has been through so much in her short little life. I hope she finds a good home who will truly appreciate the kind of dog she is!

This just goes to prove that pit bulls are not to blame for all dog attacks. The Ontario BSL is useless, we need a dangerous dog law that doesn't target a specific breed. The owner of the dog that attacked Lexy needs to be held responsible for this.

Copper'sMom
October 3rd, 2005, 12:35 PM
Oh the poor girl!!! I hope she finds a forever home where she is protected and loved and never has to endure an ounce of pain ever again!

bluntman
October 4th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I hope she gets a good home outside of Ontario, so she does not have to endure a muzzle, she has been through enough, and deserves be free of more cruelty from Byrants lame law.

Luvmypit
October 4th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Usually when a dog loses a leg we here it all over the news. what happened here? hmmmmm . Someone should send this over to all the major news in Toronto and Ottawa... let them do a real pit story.

I hope to God she finds a loving home!