Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Exercise Induced Collapse

LNeilB
September 29th, 2005, 10:39 AM
A spreading phenomenon, now crossing over to other breeds....

http://lifewithdogs.blogspot.com/2005/09/on-more-serious-note.html

Does anyone know anything new about this? It is happening in the UK as well, in a few breeds...

Trinitie
September 29th, 2005, 11:55 AM
According to the website, EIC is restricted to Labs, and is primarily found in field trial dogs, and is increasing in the number of dogs of that breed. It is suggested that it's inheritable. I cannot find a location where it says it's spreading to other breeds. I will continue to read the site, and try to locate where it says it's spreading to other breeds of dog.

LNeilB
September 29th, 2005, 01:37 PM
According to the website, EIC is restricted to Labs, and is primarily found in field trial dogs, and is increasing in the number of dogs of that breed. It is suggested that it's inheritable. I cannot find a location where it says it's spreading to other breeds. I will continue to read the site, and try to locate where it says it's spreading to other breeds of dog.

EIC in the UK...

EIC in England (http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3831)

Neil

Trinitie
September 29th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Ah yes. I see what you mean. It may be possible that Springers, being such high-strung dogs, would be apt to getting EIC, as Labs do (also high-strung dogs).

I don't think I would go so far as saying it's spreading to "other breeds" though. 2 field dogs, both in the same type of "work" could mean that it may be an environmentally caused genetic mutation. You never know. That could be something they're looking at. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront! People with Labs, and Springers now, should be made aware!!

Great Post!!

Stickied.

LNeilB
September 29th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks...

It's a scary condition, in that it mimics the onset of a seizure. I've had epileptic dogs, and if I hadn't, I would have assumed that my Lab was having seizures...

erykah1310
November 27th, 2005, 03:01 AM
I dont think it is "spreading" over to other breeds. I have a Border Collie who suffers from EIC, I do have some contact information in the US about this condition. I have learned that it is hereditary and in the B.C it is most common in the HIMP lines. As soon as I can find the contact info I will be sure to post it. Has the dog actually been diagnosed with EIC? If not Malignant Hypothermia may also be an issue worth investigating.
I was always under the impression that what my dog had was very rare, sorry to hear that others are also witnessing their beloved pets battle with this disorder:(