Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

healthy pug puppy?

Lola's mommy
September 29th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Hi everyone I am new to the group and was looking for some input. I have a 6month old Boston Terrier (Lola) and we have been looking for another puppy because only having one dog just isn't enough. :) We have decided on a pug and after talking to the breeder on the phone for an hour we decided to go look at the pups. There are 2 pups (male and female-- we want the female) 12wk old fawn pugs. The parents are pets and on site (along with 3boston terriers and 2 golden retrievers)

The owner seems to take good care of all her dogs (clean dogs, loving, house clean). The pug parents were very loving and looked very healthy. She said she has not had health problems with the parents and the pups she said have been vet checked OK. The only concern I had is that both pups seem to have pot-bellies and their anus seems to bulge a little (like they are going to poop any minute) The owner says that she over feeds them or they might have worms.

They have healthy coats, clean eyes, ears, and nose. They were very playful and loving did not seem to be in any discomfort. They did not drag their bottoms, did not have anything stuck to their bottoms, and their bottoms did not look irritated. Both parents bellies and bottoms looked normal.

We went home without the pup and decided to think it over.

Any ideas?

BMDLuver
September 29th, 2005, 10:07 AM
hmmmm, they should not have pot bellies firm to the touch if they are on a regular worming program. At 12 weeks they should have had two DHPP vaccinations. What bothers me about this is that they have other breeds there... although the home is nice and dogs look healthy, it sounds like a byb to me. If your gut made you hesitate then perhaps you should walk away from them completely.

Lucky Rescue
September 29th, 2005, 10:13 AM
IF the dogs are just pets being bred for money, and have not been shown or heath tested (and I do not mean checked by a vet), then this person is a backyard breeder.

"They MIGHT have worms"?? Why has she not wormed them? Have they had all their vaccinations?

Rottielover
September 29th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I totally agree with BMDluver, I personally would walk away before seeing them, just because when you see them, your heart will speak louder than correct judgement. Def a BYB, sounds like they just put their pets together to make babies, big X in my book. Keep searching, try Canadian kennel club website, look for breeders, then ask alot of questions....
Good luck on your search

StaceyB
September 29th, 2005, 10:26 AM
It sounds like worms they should have been dewormed before now.

Maximellion
September 29th, 2005, 10:54 AM
I agree with everyone else. Just because parents have been to a vet and are healthy does not mean they have been "health checked" for breeding purposes. The fact that the pugs "may" have worms or "may" be overfed tells me the woman doesn't really know what she is doing vis a vis breeding and any puppy you get from her will be a crapshoot.

Pugs have a host of possible medical problems so with this breed I would definitely take the time to save myself some heartache and ensure I get a good breeding. I would look for a reputable breeder who is involved in the pug breed association in your area, who shows or at least has several championed dogs in their line and can provide assurances of clear eyes, hips, skin, brain throughout the breeding line.

I would start at the Pug Dog Club of America and see if I could find a better breeder.

Mel

StaceyB
September 29th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Worms are common in most puppies but what worries me is that at 12 weeks they still haven't had vaccines because if they had they would have been dewormed at the same time.
If you are planning on a pug puppy I would seek out a better breeder.