Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

feline Calicivirus

rachel1972
September 29th, 2005, 02:57 AM
hi to everyone , i was wondering if any one could provide info on how to help my cat who has almost continous FCV! he has been to the vets and they can only treat the symptoms with antibiotics. but as soon as these are stopped he is back to having open sores in his mouth and in between his toes. i just can not get him free of this virus. most information sources say that it should only last for a couple of weks at most and then he should recover, even if he is still a carrier. but he is continously having sores and finds hit hard to eat any thing that is'nt soft. is there any way to stop this ?

Lucky Rescue
September 29th, 2005, 09:26 AM
I"m sure this must be really frustrating to you!:(

Is the vet sure there aren't any underlying medical problems with your cat that are making it vulnerable to this virus?

Is there anything in your home that might be stressing your cat, like a new pet, a move, being bullied by any other pets in the home, seeing and smelling intacts cats outside,etc?

Maybe someone here can suggest ways to build up your cat's immune system.

jessi76
September 29th, 2005, 09:45 AM
If this is an ongoing problem, it may be time to take a different approach, you may want to consider a holistic vet at this point.

was your cat vaccinated for FCV? How old is your cat? Do you have other cats?

What type of food is your cat on? You may want to find a new one that he'll tolerate, with the greatest nutrional value.

justncase
September 29th, 2005, 02:03 PM
You might be able to locate these two things in Wales, Transfer Factor Plus and colloidal silver. The usual dosage for TFP is 1-3 capsules a day with food. It's non-toxic and can be used longterm. And two teaspoons three times a day for ten days for the colloidal silver. Also safe for pets. There are various brands of colloidal silver, some quite watered down. Super Silver Solution and Immucine are two brands that are reputable and safe for pets.You could either go with the colloidal silver for ten days then switch to TFP, or start and stay with TFP.