Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trivial poll of the night! Do you have a scale?

Prin
September 28th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Do you have a scale?

Ever since I started eating again, I have not had one, but the thyroid pills will be slowing down my metabolism when they finally kick in and I'm not allowed to exercise yet, so I have to be careful. I'm really hesitant to get one though...

How do you feel about scales? Is it just a number or is it a crucial number?

mafiaprincess
September 28th, 2005, 11:53 PM
My answer wasn't there.. and it's not raining yet but it is supposed to.. I use the scale at my gym when I go.. Or ask the doctor to weigh me.. Though 3 appoinments in 2 weeks is a little too often to ask.

In high school, kids called me fat.. I was upset about my weight.. but I was a size 9..

I didn't realize I was actually pretty thin.

Got to university.. stress, bad caf food and not noticing the increased appetite from depo.. and I gained like 30 pounds in my 4 years.. yo yo'd.. excercised, stopped etc.

At 163 now, and a size 12-16 dependign upon the brand.. but am trying ot work at it. I figure I'm single, so I can work out for myself to build a nicer body.

But, I've known since I was liek 10 that muscle weighs more than fat. More I work out, the better I look and the number on the scale is stationary, or goes up some.. So while I like to keep an eye on what I weigh, I know better..

Prin
September 28th, 2005, 11:57 PM
I know what you mean about not knowing you're thin- I was less than a size 2 and I still didn't see myself as skinny. Pretty sad. Now I'm 173 and size 12-14 for my big a** and small for my little torso :rolleyes: after gaining 40 lbs in 3 months about 2 years ago. I dropped at least 10 lbs so far, but I'm hoping this thyroid crep is not going to send me back up again.

I think when you're single, it is a lot easier to get out and exercise though. You have nobody to wait for to get moving!

mafiaprincess
September 29th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Looking back, I'm like.. 'but I was so small'.. But the kids at school called me huge, helped erode self esteem..

Makes you think, knowing what you do now, and society's view on the perfect so called women being model thin..seeing studies that younger and younger kids are dieting.. It's scary.

Glad someone gets it.. Few people I know ever just shot up in weight in a period, and then noticed..

Although I have a pair of pants I bought that turned out not to fit, and now are just right, or a little too big.. that's something to smile about.

Do you have an original thread about your thyroid crap that I didn't apparently read? My sis has issues and is on meds.. I've been wondering if that is attributing to her weight gain..

Awfully tough to be 15 and gettign to be pretty huge. I'm tryign to help her.. Incouraging her to take Cider out and such.

I've been bad about the gym.. was going 3x a week, and then with the ex issues tapered to too depressed to go. Need to get my act back together again.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I posted an update yesterday... It quickly veered off to chocolate... :D
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19881
It's no fun.

Speaking of eroded self esteem, one of my harshest critics when I was younger found a picture of me when I was bones and called to apologize. She couldn't believe how she didn't notice. In the picture, I am literally bones with tiny muscles sticking out. It's horrible and it makes me so sad to see it and think nobody noticed. Nobody sent me for help. :rolleyes: Just goes to show that we are trained to think things are ok when they really aren't. Skinny is not necessarily healthy.

StaceyB
September 29th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Mine wasn't there. I don't have a scale. I worry more about the size of my clothes than my actual weight.

mafiaprincess
September 29th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I'm hijacking that issue over to here cause it is sort of weight related *shrug*

Okay, yeah I had read that thread.. was wondering if I missed a prior one. LMAO at the chocolate hijack though. If you had over active thyroid issues, how'd you manage to gain weight all at once a while back? *sorry nosy..*
My sis is in the opposite boat, she's the star kid of the endocrine clinic at sick kids.. She doesn't create any natural thyroid hormones.

Wow, that really is skinny. Apology a little late, but it's nice to hear someone saw the light though.

I had anorexia issues in high school. Ate maybe a meal a day, but never suffered noticably that I could see which was bad.. and no one ever noticed I just didn't eat.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 12:43 AM
If you had over active thyroid issues, how'd you manage to gain weight all at once a while back? *sorry nosy..*
No worries. Apparently some people can gain with hyper anyway. It's so tiring that you don't do anything at all and then your appetite still increases. :rolleyes: I was hoping to feel more motivated with these pills, but it ain't happening. :rolleyes:

Stacey, I should have thought of that one- I know people who use your method.

mafiaprincess
September 29th, 2005, 12:46 AM
*throws up over the smell of Cider's cattle hoof*

Ahh.. I never knew that.. Sort of assumed if you didn't massively over eat, you stayed thinish.

You might still find energy and working pills yet. .I hope.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Cider's cattle hoof? :confused:

shannonRN
September 29th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Gosh, the love-hate relationship with the bathroom scales...don't get me started. I have a troubled relationship with food and exercise and have been anywhere from a size 0 to a size 10.

It's just a number, but a very important number psychologically. Now I only weigh myself about once a month. Once upon a time, I would weigh myself 3 times a day. But whether I weigh myself or not, I'm always afraid that I'm bigger than I want to be.

shannonRN
September 29th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Cider's cattle hoof?
yeah, what she said :confused:

mafiaprincess
September 29th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Hahahahahah Cider my pup, is chewing on a damn hoof. The smell is so over poweringly nauseating I can't think about anything else.. and she keeps trying to give it to me as a present..

Sorry for the hi jack.. :p

Add since I missed the last few replies I was laughing too hard..

I'm afraid of the number on the scale though I know better. I hadn't been to the gym in a month, but I'd be 168 when there last.. On a whim I got my dr to weigh me and was 163.. only positive thing to happen over going ot the dr too often lately. Was nice to weigh less than I figured.

shannonRN
September 29th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Makes more sense now--those things are raunchy smelling. My dogs would always get sick if they had them, so no hooves around here. *whew* safe from the smell.

mafiaprincess
September 29th, 2005, 01:23 AM
For a cocker spaniel, she destroys toys easily.. Or refuses them..
So I got her raw bones and someone suggested hooves. Been the only two things to keep her interest and last long enough.

She's obsessed over hooves lately though.. People come into my bedroom and ask if Cider has pooped somewhere.

Beaglemom
September 29th, 2005, 07:45 AM
My beagle was a big chewer, I never got her the hooves, but I did buy her the cow bones, she would chew them until they were very thin!

About the scales, I have one, stopped using it! I became obsessed with the numbers and would weigh myself constantly. I was so worried about gaining a pound that I would watch every single thing that I ate, I would count calories and everything was planned. I worked out every single day and would never miss a work out. If I did, I would feel horrible.

I've never really had a problem with my weight, I've always been thin. I've been told that I'm "skinny", I hate that word! But, I love to work out. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the time now like I used to.

Now, I just rely on how I look and how my clothes fit me. I try to avoid the scale, but occasionally (every few months) I will weigh myself.

BMDLuver
September 29th, 2005, 07:51 AM
I get on the scale at the vet's office once in a while but that's it. I go by how I feel, how clothes fit, etc.... and I tend to think before I eat something what else I ate that day.

Blaze01
September 29th, 2005, 08:09 AM
In four months i went from 173 to 145...i am 5 8. I know that I am not fat but I still feel chubby...so my goal weight is 138.

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Ahhhhh the infamous scale.... Growing up we never had a scale in the house because my mom didn't think they were healthy to have around, expecially with growing children and teenagers. She taughts us to focus on how we felt, not how much we weighed.
Then I got into sport, really serious sport, and we had to have "weight tests" ever week. Same time same day each week. It was pretty bad, you could only lose or gain weight if you were told to. Girls would take diuretics on or around their periods so that they would lose water-weight caused by bloating. I remember my friend and I both had to gain weight at one point, and neither of us could seem to do it, so we would take zip-loc baggies and fill them with sand or rice, and tape them to our bodies. SICK!!!! I can't believe the stuff we did!!!
When I moved to montreal I didn't get a scale, because my life had been ruled by one for the previous 5 years. I just bought a scale in june on my vet's advice, because Layla lost about 7 lbs, and he said it would be easiest to monitor her weight gain if I had my own scale.
The first week of having it, I would cringe when I looked at it, but now that Layla's back to her normal weight, it just sits under the sink.
I'm pretty much more concerned about how my clothing fits. If all of a sudden I can't do up my pants, or if they start to fall off my ass (or lack there of :D.. I inherited my mom's total lack of curves) then I start to worry.
Just my two cents.

Schwinn
September 29th, 2005, 08:57 AM
I use the scale, but only to track my progress. Cheryl just bought me one that has BMI (which I think is useless) and saves your numbers and all that. To me, the important number is pant size. My biggest problem is trying to get my Dr to stop using his stupid chart. Yes, 225 lbs is heavy for 5'7" (and 3 quarters!). However, since I work out, and I don't have a 40 inch waist, I'd argue that I'm probably not obese. I used the calipers at the gym once (I was afraid they were going to pull out one of those big ice cube grabber things they used in the old days), and it said I should be around 200 lbs, definitely not the 70 lbs over weight my dr said I am!! The scale is useful in seeing if anything is going on, and on those days where I feel like nothing is happening.

Probably my biggest indication is if I'm doing anything or not is when I go riding...stupid spandex bike shirts...

jessi76
September 29th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Nope, I don't own a scale, never have, never will. I don't care. I get weighed when I happen to go in for a physical or something, but that's it. I don't "diet" either, I eat what I want, when I want, all in moderation of course. I don't even care about the size of my clothes, I have some pants in a 2, and some in an 8, size doesn't matter, I prefer fit & comfort.

Rick C
September 29th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Yes I have a scale and weigh myself pretty much every day as just a matter of a morning routine more than obsessiveness. . . . . but I'll get our running or biking or swimming or cut back on chocolate or cut back on gigantic suppers if I start to float above certain numbers.

I know the author of one running book I have says the first thing you need to do is throw out your scale and begin to rely on muscle mass indicators.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Schwinn
September 29th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Nope, I don't own a scale, never have, never will. I don't care. I get weighed when I happen to go in for a physical or something, but that's it. I don't "diet" either, I eat what I want, when I want, all in moderation of course. I don't even care about the size of my clothes, I have some pants in a 2, and some in an 8, size doesn't matter, I prefer fit & comfort.

You do know that most of the other women on here would like to personally meet you and strangle you, right? ;)

jessi76
September 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM
You do know that most of the other women on here would like to personally meet you and strangle you, right? ;)

LOL, I hope not! it's all in moderation, attitude, and most importantly, availability. I found that not buying premade goodies helps. I don't keep any junk food stuff in the house, if I REALLY want it, I need to either make it, or get off my butt to go get it. Denying myself anything makes me crave it more, so if I feel like having fried cheesecake for dinner, so be it, just not everyday.

Rick C
September 29th, 2005, 10:36 AM
fried cheesecake for dinner.

Oh . . . . My . . . . . . GOD!! :yuck:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

BMDLuver
September 29th, 2005, 10:46 AM
What the heck is fried cheesecake?

jjgeonerd
September 29th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I use mine to weigh packages so I know how much shipping will cost! :D

I'm probably the opposite of most as I used to use mine to see if I was gaining weight from working out. I've since given up...impossible for me to gain weight. My wife laughs at me because she complains of having "fat days", while I complain of having "skinny days".

I still go to the gym, but now just to stay in shape for mtn. biking, snowboarding, etc. to help prevent injuries.

jessi76
September 29th, 2005, 10:50 AM
mmmmmmm, fried cheesecake...

** makes the Homer Simpson gurgling noise **

no fried cheesecake up there? oh man... you're missin out. A restaurant here makes it, it's phenominal. It's cheesecake balls that are then deep fried, and served warm with vanilla ice cream. If I'm in the mood for it, I'll just have that and skip the entree. :D

BMDLuver
September 29th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Wow, sounds very yummy and decadent. Hmm, now I'm going on a hunt for it, argh my poor hips.

Rick C
September 29th, 2005, 11:06 AM
mmmmmmm, fried cheesecake...

** makes the Homer Simpson gurgling noise **

no fried cheesecake up there? oh man... you're missin out. A restaurant here makes it, it's phenominal. It's cheesecake balls that are then deep fried, and served warm with vanilla ice cream. If I'm in the mood for it, I'll just have that and skip the entree. :D

We went down to San Antonio a few years ago and my wife fell in love with deep fried pickles.

Blech!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Roxy's_MA
September 29th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I always weigh myself when I go to someone elses house. I think it is smarter to go by clothes size. I am a fairly muscular person (genetics). My weight is always higher than what people think it should be. Muscel does weigh more than fat. I am also 5'8" 140 lbs -fairly tall for a girl.

shannonRN
September 29th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I've found you can fry just about anything...and fried cheesecake is YUMMY. The restaurant where I have had it pipes the filling into a shell that becomes all flaky when it's fried; then they drizzle it with the topping of choice (caramel--yum). It looks like a big cannoli.
Mmmmm, cannoli...

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Blech!!! Maybe it's because I wasn't allowed fried food for 5 years, but just the thought of it makes me cringe now. The taste and texture and not to mention the health side effects :yuck:

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I always weigh myself when I go to someone elses house. I think it is smarter to go by clothes size. I am a fairly muscular person (genetics). My weight is always higher than what people think it should be. Muscel does weigh more than fat. I am also 5'8" 140 lbs -fairly tall for a girl.
5'8" and 140 is pretty good. I weigh myself at other people's houses too- stupid thing to do... Why not weigh myself and destroy my self esteem for the night? Great idea. :rolleyes:

Roxy's_MA
September 29th, 2005, 02:54 PM
5'8" and 140 is pretty good. I weigh myself at other people's houses too- stupid thing to do... Why not weigh myself and destroy my self esteem for the night? Great idea. :rolleyes:

Thanks, I actally can feel pretty good about it. I am down to 140 I weighed 170 last December. It's my dog, she is my biggest motivator to exercise. I don't think weight is that important, just the way one sees themselves. I unfornatly have a bad body image, I don't think it matters how much I weigh. I will always see some flaw. I don't worry about what I eat, as long as I have a variety. The exerice, in my opinion the only way to really take off the pounds.

I am so used to being overweight, I don't think I will realize when I am not overwieght.

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 03:23 PM
The exerice, in my opinion the only way to really take off the pounds.

I agree 100% You can only cut back on so much food etc without being endlessly hungry, short of energy, or hurting your body.
I think that exercise is the smartest thing ever created. It gives you energy throughout the day, and puts you to sleep at night. It makes your body want the nutrients it needs. And the high you get from even a three hour run is unbelievable.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 03:30 PM
That's what I hate most about this. I'm not allowed to exercise at all. Not even fast walking. I like to weight train and that's at the bottom of the list of things I am allowed to do. I just bought a new punching bag in the spring too. :sad:

Roxy's_MA
September 29th, 2005, 03:35 PM
That's what I hate most about this. I'm not allowed to exercise at all. Not even fast walking. I like to weight train and that's at the bottom of the list of things I am allowed to do. I just bought a new punching bag in the spring too. :sad:

That does suck. How long till you can get back to doing your thing?

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Well, he expects the pills to kick in in under 5 weeks, but I'm not allowed to be active for another 2 weeks minimum. I ran about 50 feet today and my throat KILLS. Apparently it makes my thyroid swell up. :rolleyes: :mad:

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 04:08 PM
does that go for low-impact activity too? like swimming? I hate swimming, but the benefits from it are enormous, and it's ultra-low impact

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I can't get my heart beating faster. Swimming is good for people with high blood pressure, but it still makes your heart beat faster, which is what I'm not allowed to do at all.

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Ahh ok. That really sucks. I can't imagine what it's like :sad:

mastifflover
September 29th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Don't own a scale and actually never have. I think they are bad because people worry to much about the number. I know if I am gaining weight by the way I feel and more so the way my clothes fit. My doctor insists on weighing me and I have really not gained very much in the last few years. I just never want to weigh more than Buddy if that happens I will just have to get a bigger Mastiff or have my jaws wired. I am chocaholic and sweets.

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I just never want to weigh more than Buddy if that happens I will just have to get a bigger Mastiff or have my jaws wired. I am chocaholic and sweets.

I know you're kidding, but jaw wiring doesn't always result in weight loss! In grade ten I broke my jaw and had to have it wired shut. Everyone told me "oo you're going to lose weight because you can't eat". They underestimated me! I gained weight because all I ate were milkshakes, pudding, ice cream.... come to think of it, that was the best injury ever :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 29th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I have two scales, I weigh myself every few days. I used to be about 40 pounds heavier. Now I am about 140 and 5ft8 which is a good weight for me. But I feel lethargic because I havent been doing that much. I am usually pretty good about excercising but since I,ve gotten my job its hard to find the time, the most I do now is take Joey for his walks, so twice a week we go for about an hour plus little walks throughout the day. Before job and dog I was kick boxing twice a week and weight training on my Parabody machine and running or walking on my treadmill. Joeys walks have taken over the treadmill but I really need to get back into it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 29th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Speaking of all this weight talk, I know people that are over weight but carry it really well and you dont notice, or people whose personality far outshine whatever size they may be. (Thin, average or large)

It would be nice if we could just see ourselves as others see us. But I know I worry about body image if I end up gaining a few pounds or my clothes get tight. Then I start to get down.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 08:33 PM
I just store all my flab in my hiney so I don't have to look at it all the time. :p

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Hearing everyone's heights has intrigued me. The weight not so much, but I always picture people at certain heights, and now all my images are being shattered. :eek:

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I know!! I thought Schwinn was 6'3"!!! :D :p

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 29th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Yes its wierd picturing people when you havent met them. you have an image in your mind of what you think they would look like.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 29th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Hey Prin did tell us your height. I am thinking about 5ft7 or maybe 5ft8.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 09:39 PM
LOL everybody is bigger on the internet... I'm 5'6" and an 1/8th.

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Me too!!! ahh the suprises!!

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 09:45 PM
LOL everybody is bigger on the internet... I'm 5'6" and an 1/8th.
You 5'6-ers all seem to have an extra 1/8th added on. My mom is also 5'6 "and an eighth" and so is my best friend... i smell afoul.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 09:50 PM
No matter how much I stretch or shrink, I'm always 5'6" 1/8. Maybe I'm at height of greatness no matter what...

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I just realized I haven't dashed any visions of me. I'm 5'10 (and a half in the morning, and a quarter in the evening), and since I only ever weigh myself with Layla in my arms, my build will remain in your imaginations.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 10:04 PM
It's funny because you signed up after the "faces" thread where people posted pics of themselves so nobody has a clue. I've seen Schwinn before and a few others... I think we have to revive it again...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 29th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Actually I am not really 5.8 I am actually 5.7 and 3/4.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 10:08 PM
oooo confession time!! :evil: :D

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Mmm yes.. the truth comes out....
Prin- I found the old thread, but am still scrolling through it

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Takes forever... And at the end we got spooked and removed a lot of pics...

shannonRN
September 29th, 2005, 11:59 PM
I can't get my heart beating faster. Swimming is good for people with high blood pressure, but it still makes your heart beat faster, which is what I'm not allowed to do at all.
How 'bout yoga, Prin? Not the really hard kind, but the stretching, controlled breathing and beginner's poses? Just to give you something physical to do, boost your energy a little....

My squat little self is five feet, two and a half inches, written the long way to make me seem taller. Rather than think of myself as overweight, I prefer to think of myself as underheight. And, what I lack in height, I make up for in attitude. :evil:

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Ya, I still do my hiney muscles and my abs... I'm not letting either get untoned. It took me a good 2 months of consistently doing about 5 abs a day to get my ab crack, so I'm not going to let that go to waste. :D And my hiney... Well, if I didn't do my hineycercises, I don't know what it would look like... :eek: :eek: And I'd lose my "It's mostly muscle" excuse... :D

Beaglemom
September 30th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Prin, I think yoga is a great idea. Yoga is very good at working your muscles, are low impact and you don't have to get your heart rate up. Mat pilates are also good.

I love exercising, especially enjoy doing weights. When it comes to cardio workouts, I like to take it outdoors. I love biking, swimming, water sports and rollerblading. Growing up I was always active, funny how things change when we become adults with more responsibilities, finding the time to do all these things is proving to be difficult.

Exercise is a great way to stay in shape, not only physically but mentally. It helps to release all those feel good endorphins and gives you a natural high. Also a great stress reliever!

Muscle weighs more than fat but occupies less space, so those numbers on a scale are not always very accurate. People who are trying to lose weight and are gaining muscle may find that the number is staying the same, but their clothes is going down a couple of sizes.

Oh yeah, and since we are all confessing our height, I'm 5'7". I saw the faces thread, but never posted a picture.

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Why not? You won't even post a pic temporarily, like me?

TobsterMom
September 30th, 2005, 12:09 PM
I have had a weight issue FOREVER! I couldn't own a scale, I would be obsessed with it. My mom has one, and when I visit, I am constantly on it....it's really weird. I'm only 5' tall, and 5lbs looks like 50 on my body.

I feel better than ever though, learning not to obsess as much. I lost 15lbs since august, I get weighed 3x per week at the weight loss place I go to.

So yeah....no scales.

Schwinn
September 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM

It's funny you mention that. I'm actually a 6'3" man trapped in a 5'8" body...

In my cycling gear, I look like Lance Armstrong after a 3 month McDonald's bender...

CyberKitten
September 30th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I have a scale but sometimes I forget where I put it, lol I am not overweight but am not skinny either. I WAS always skinny in my younger days (think as a university student and in my 20's) and my grandmother used to try to get me to eat or gain weight. But these sizes 2-4 are nuts. There never was a size 2 when I was a teen - and I wore size 5. I would be happy now to get into size 5, lol

Seriously, I worry about my overall healthy eating and your lifestyle and wellness is much more important than how much you weigh. I think worrying about weight is a waste of time. I mean - there are soooo many other important issues out there!!