Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Behaviour change in spayed dog!

Pet's Mom
September 28th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Our 8 month old puppy was spayed last week. She is a Lab/Shepherd cross and quite lovable! :D She was really good about the incision and basically left it alone...all went well. Our difficulty is that now she doesn't eat well although she eats...not like she used to(won't eat dry food), and barks when we leave her in her kennel. (We both work.). Today she destroyed the floor of her kennel by digging at it. Come to think of it, she has begun digging everywhere...on the couch, on the floor...in random spots. Lastly she has begun whining while carrying around her toys! I'm puzzled. Any ideas?

Sneaky
September 28th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Hi there,
Behaviour changes in female dogs who are spayed can be
incredibly noticeable.
My Chihuahua was a very friendly, playful, gentle player,
before we got her spayed. After the spay, while still friendly,
she became a very rough player, and doesnt want to play anywhere
near as much.
She basically has become very "masculine", and the vet said that is
because, like when a Woman gets a hysterectomy, the production of
Estrogen is much lessened to non-existant, while the production of Testosterone in the body rises drastically. Thats why most women take
Estrogen pills after such a procedure for the rest of their lives.
If the puppy seems healthy and active, and is still eating, I wouldnt worry much. Perhaps the hormonal changes she is going through as her estrogen levels drop and testosterone levels rise are causing mood swings and the like. I would give her time to get used to her new body before starting to worry about the worst possible scenarios.
Just keep an eye on her! Im sure she will be OK.

Prin
September 28th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I haven't noticed that drastic a change in any of the females I have had. Especially not after a week- the estrogen levels don't drop that quickly. How old is this doggy? Has there been any other events lately that could upset the dog? Like did you move? Did you change jobs? Take more hours? It could be little things too like a small change in the routine. It could also be that the dog is reaching adolescence.

I just wouldn't blame the operation just yet. It's really early for that.

Pet's Mom
September 30th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. She is still eating less than she used to, but eating regularly. She is not thrilled with being left alone in her kennel, so I have arranged for daycare on the two days of the week that we are away for the longest period.
As for the rest, I am still puzzled but trying to work it out. One good thing that has come of it...she used to be "my dog"...followed me everywhere no matter what was going on. Now she is spending more time with my husband and "bonding" with him. I can put up with the little things for that event!