Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Conflicting diagnoses on dog's tumor

gafakatwak
September 28th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Eva, my Rotty/Greyhound mix female suddenly presented a 1.5 inch diameter lump on her left hind leg nearly four months ago. I took her to the vet, who said it was a benign tumor that would probably have to be cut out if it got any bigger. Several weeks later, I decided to have it biopsied just in case. Meanwhile I noticed that the vet's office had almost no customers during my multiple visits. The biopsy came back with: "soft tissue sarcoma, peripheral nerve sheath origin, well differentiated, grade I." I asked for a copy of the biopsy, and it looked like it had been cut and pasted. I went to another vet, who said that he would rarely have ordered a biopsy for a tumor that was slow gowing, had been present for months with little change, was well circumscribed, was freely moveable, and was not painful. He said that malignant tumors were more likely to be rapidly growing, had ill-defined margins, were infiltrative, and were sometimes ulcerated. What should I do next?[/

justncase
September 28th, 2005, 05:38 PM
The second vet was more in line with the usual procedure concerning tumors of the type described. If in doubt, get a third opinion , and research your choice of vet carefully.