Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog hit by a car - long post!

melz
September 28th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Hi guys.

I just wanted your advice on something. I witnessed a dog get hit by a car this morning. This dog is apparently a beagle/husky mix.

From what I've noticed it looked as though his owner was trying to put on his harness to possibly bring him for a walk. The dog just bolted from his front yard and ran into the street. The woman driving the car didn't see him coming as he was coming from a side street and hit him on its side. She parked the car to check the dog but it bolted in fear and ended up running into closed in fenced area. a couple of streets away.

I tried to approach the dog but it was barking in fear /shock i assume and he was foaming at the mouth so I didn't want to come any closer in fear of having my arm bitten off. 15 minutes later the owner was notified by a passer by of the dog's location. The dog was covered in feces. Barking like crazy... I'm assuming in pain! But because the dog wagged its tail when it saw his owner approach - the owner assumed the pooch was fine despite all 4 of us on site asking him to bring the dog to the vet.

During this time I have learned that this 18th month old pup was adopted from the Ottawa humane society a couple of weeks ago or so.

The woman who hit the dog left her info with the owner and got his information to follow up on the poor fella. That being done, the owner still refused to bring the dog to the vet.

When leaving the site I told the woman in question to call the humane society since we both learned the dog was from there and report the incident and I did the same to give my contact information... I asked the person on the phone to look up the breed and gave her the street name on which the dog owners house was located to give her a better idea of who the owner could be. I pleaded with her to call him to talk him into taking the dog to the vet but she (the receptionist) didn't seem to care much for situation - was totally clueless as to what to do with the info i was giving her.

Now.. that's the story. I'm really worried about this pup. I know it may not have been my business to call the humane society but someone's gotta be responsible and take the steps to have something done for this dog.

My question is, should I call later in the day to see what's going on? If the owner wouldn't have shown up when he did (15 mins after the fact!!!) I would of taken the dog and brought him to the vet myself. Even if he did bite me... I was and still am concerned for this pooch!

Is there anything else that I can do from end to make sure he is ok?

Writing4Fun
September 28th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Whoa! That is insane. Is the Ottawa Humane Society the same as the OSPCA? I'd find out who is responsible for animal welfare in your community and call them. Refusing to take an animal to the vet when it is clearly in need of medical attention is neglect and the owner can/should be brought up on charges. I hope the owner did the right thing in the end. Maybe he was just confused/upset by the incident and realized later that the dog needed help.

happycats
September 28th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Thats' disgusting!! they have to do something!!

Here are some numbers I came up with 1-888-668-7722 ext 1 (this is the investigations of animal cruelty #) The website also said of you suspect animal abuse or neglect to call crime stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or your local police department.

This has to be reported!!!

BMDLuver
September 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Ottawa Humane Society is not an OSPCA. There are OSPCA, SPCA and Humane Society in Ontario. I would file a report with the Ottawa HS and speak also with the Adoption Coordinator. They may pull this dog from the home with written reports as back up.

melz
September 28th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Hi all. I just called OHS (Ottawa Humane Society) I was informed that the lady who hit the dog never called - as she said she would. The receptionist waited a couple of hours after my call to see if this lady would call but she didn't.

She did however recieve a report from another bystander. Because of this, the case was given to OHS investigators. They are currently looking through their records for the dog type and adoptions in my home area to see if the dog was actually adopted by the guy who showed up on the scene this morning.

I gave them brief description of the dog and the temperment patern i've noticed from him this morning to see if that would help. Explained that I was told he was recently adopted and was approx 18 months old.

The investigator are looking into the matter and will call me if they have an update or need to ask questions. I did make it clear that I was willing to take the dog in foster (even though I hadn't made application) if need be.

I understand there are procedures to this but as they can see i am very concerned for this pooch - I hope something will be done soon!!!