Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just a little update.. In case anybody was wondering..

Prin
September 28th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Remember way back when, I had insomnia and then hyperthyroidism and then I was given pills for it?

Well, they haven't kicked in yet (it's been a month and a half almost), so the dr says 5 more weeks. I'm on 9 pills a day- 4 heart, 4 thyroid and 1 reactine because I'm allergic to the thyroid pills. And I'm pretty miserable. It's like on top of the thyroid effects, I have the pill side effects. It's kind of demotivating, both physically and mentally.

Yesterday, I think I slept something like 18 hours for no reason. You know when you fall asleep right after eating and you wake up feeling like crap? That's basically how I feel all the time and it's really frustrating. I'm not a lazy person, but this all just takes the wind out of my sails.

I'm not allowed to exercise at all till they kick in. :( So ya, I think I'll be here a lot till these twit pills take effect. Let me know if you get annoyed. ;)

StaceyB
September 28th, 2005, 06:09 AM
I know how you feel. I have fibromyalgia and the pain has been unbearable over the last few days. One of the other problems that is commonly associated with it is chronic fatigue syndrome, which I also have. My Dr. described what happens as this. You go to sleep, go through REM and when you start to enter a deep sleep your brain fires off impulses to wake you up. The problem, you never get a good sleep even if you were to sleep a lot.

CyberKitten
September 28th, 2005, 06:47 AM
I can sympathize too - I have chronic pain and thus never get a good sleep. So I am exhausted all the time it seems. Of course, my mother said I never wanted to sleep as a child, too afraid to miss something. Actually - while I do know scientifically we NEED sleep, I just wish we could add those hours to our day, lol

If you were not taking so many meds, I'd wonder if melatonin would help you. Why are you on so many meds? Most ppl with hyperthyroidism take at most one or two medications per day. My mom has this for example and take one med once a day. But I don't know your cardiac problems so that may complicate it. But 4 a day for the H issue seems a lot? Or is one for H and the others for something else as a result of them????

I am no expert in this area tho - just find your situation very unique. (Maybe your case will be featured in a medical journal, :)

Seriously, I wish there was a way you could combat the sliggishness. Usually when patients are on anti-depressants (for example), we tell them to exercise to try to reduce some of the side effects but if your docor is monitoring your cardiac probs, that limits that.

I am not one for anectodal suggestions n/c the same ideas do not always work for everyone but when I can't sleep, I sometimes will read to try to make myself sleepy. My exercise level is affected by an inability to do too much and respiratory probs but of course sometimes that has the opposite effect (ie, I feel energized as opposed to sleepy). You could always borrow your friend's Latin Rosary tapes. ;)

Dog Dancer
September 28th, 2005, 11:03 AM
So sorry you're still having problems with this Prin. No advice unfortunately, just my care and concern. Hope those pills kick in soon for you. Meanwhile we all benefit from your great advice and sense of humour! :)

shannonRN
September 28th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Hyperthyroid folks often have tachycardia, HTN, and atrial fib. If this is the case, until the thyroid is brought back under control, B-blockers, Dig, Ca channel blockers and anticoagulants may be used. I don't know if this is the case with Prin, but hang in there either way Prin--things will get better and you will get to feeling better again. :grouphug: Keep us posted on your progress.

AliSam
September 28th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Hang in there Prin. I will be thinking about you. :grouphug:

CyberKitten
September 28th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I understand all the cardiac meds Shannon - that all makes perfect sense, just curious at the number of H meds. But we are all unique. :)

Prin
September 28th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Ya, apparently I've been hyper for at least 2 years, so my resting heart rate was up around at least 100 and my blood pressure went way up in the spring. So I have 4 B-blockers for that every day (originally I was on 2 but I was still getting palpitations). I was only supposed to be on the 4 thyroid pills for a month and then go down, but they aren't working yet.

I know- all the hyper people I know take one or two pills a day. It freaked me out originally because he kept saying my thyroid was "a little overactive" and then he was loading me up with pills... He's supposed to be one of the best endocrinologists in Montreal so I have to trust him. I mean he did after all bump my appointment up by almost two months. I told him my symptoms and he actually listened...

Thanks for all the well wishes. You guys are great. :o

CyberKitten
September 28th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I get it now Prin, I thought you meant you were taking 4 DIFFERENT types of thyroid meds!! I am too tired, lol Whew!! Sorry to hear about the probs tho - I know it is no fun!!! I was feeling sorry for myself the other nite and then looked around me - I am going home tomorrow and the fact is I have a home! But yep, it still is no fun to deal with pain in my case or in yours not sleeping and adjusting to new meds. Be kind to yourself!!!! :grouphug:

Prin
September 28th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Be kind to yourself!!!!
Oh I am... In bad ways... Chocolatey ways... :D

CyberKitten
September 28th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Singing to Prin - but changing the words to Cruel to be Kind

"It's kewl to be kind..
In the right measure..
kewl to be kind...
It's a chocolate deisgn!!
Or chocolate state of mind!!

And choc does indeed release endorphins so go for it, lol

Prin
September 28th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Hee hee, nothing ever stopped me from getting my chocolate... I loves me chocolate. One of the main reasons I miss Ireland- the Yorkies! One of my dad's old employees sends me one every holiday... The best chocolate ever. That and Milkybars. Oh, what I would pay for a milkybar. We don't have anything like that over here. mmmm. Real white chocolate....
mmmmm http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/4.gif

CyberKitten
September 28th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I like the Ritter Sport White Chocolate, Yum!!! (I have not been eating the regular choc for awhile tho). I am on a white choc craze I guess, lol

Prin
September 28th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Here's the milkybar... I'm drooling just because they have a website that sells to Canajuns! http://www.abitofhome.ca/page/C1/PROD/20117-05

Prin
September 28th, 2005, 10:08 PM
OMG! They have Yorkies too!! (The packaging is so sexist- it would never fly over here but the chocolate is still the best.) http://www.abitofhome.ca/page/C1/PROD/20211-02

CyberKitten
September 28th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I recall buying Yorkies here - you mean the round ones? I better look at the ad, lol I thought they were still avail but maybe not! You canot get Smarties (what we think of as Smarties) in the US and I send them to my nephew - even tho now he is in his last yr of his undergrad degree, lol As in he is 21, not 5 anymore and still wants them, lol

CyberKitten
September 28th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Ahhh, I know what you mean now - I was thinking of those York bars. I don;t think I have tried a Yorkie when I was there. I will next summer now - what do they taste like? You know, in Saint John, NB, Pete of Pete's Frutique (and in Hfx too), has a section of British and Irish foodstuffs and that lemon energy drink is there - wonder about Yorkies???

Puppyluv
September 28th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Right, so has it ever happened to you where a thread starts and is carried on for some time before you ever notice it? Well that is why I am just joining now :o
Prin, I'm really sorry to hear about the pain in the arse these meds seem to be. For the longest time I was on a pile of meds (and then my liver died, and no more meds for me, but that's a different story) and I know how it feels to have no wind in your sails. I do hope things pick up :grouphug:

Prin
September 28th, 2005, 10:25 PM
They're just chunky milk chocolate. Just picture everything good about one of those huge Lindt milk chocolate bars and add even more goodness. It's not so sweet that it burns your throat, you know? It's very smooth chocolate. Milkybars too, but they're white..

Prin
September 28th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Right, so has it ever happened to you where a thread starts and is carried on for some time before you ever notice it? Well that is why I am just joining now :o
Prin, I'm really sorry to hear about the pain in the arse these meds seem to be. For the longest time I was on a pile of meds (and then my liver died, and no more meds for me, but that's a different story) and I know how it feels to have no wind in your sails. I do hope things pick up :grouphug:
Thanks. :) I'm the master of hijacking my own threads... :)

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 12:27 AM
What does this mean? (Please tell the story :confused: If you don't mind, of course. ;) Sorry I didn't notice clearly enough before- 10 hours of class in one day will do that to a person...) For the longest time I was on a pile of meds (and then my liver died, and no more meds for me, but that's a different story)

shannonRN
September 29th, 2005, 12:34 AM
I understand all the cardiac meds Shannon - that all makes perfect sense OK :) just tying to help.

I have no idea what these candy bars are that you are talking about, but now I have a serious case of the munchies.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I posted links so you could at least see the packaging. I don't know why they aren't here already. :mad:

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Shannon, do you know how these heart pills work? I get heart "thumps" sometimes and the pills get rid of them quickly but I'm not 100% sure that I am supposed to take them because of the thumps... I know when my heart rate is over 100 when I'm relaxed I have to take a pill... It would help if I knew what was going on, but it seems nobody does. They're still in the diagnostic phase so they still can't explain anything. :(

shannonRN
September 29th, 2005, 03:14 AM
I posted links so you could at least see the packaging
Yeah, I avoided the links for a reason. Why taunt myself with what I can't have, and shouln't eat anyway? :rolleyes:

It would help if I knew what was going on, but it seems nobody does. They're still in the diagnostic phase so they still can't explain anything.
"They" and "nobody" mean your docs, right? Because I will repeat the pets.ca mantra to you if I have to: "If you have serious health concerns, go see a vet." I mean, doctor.

Maybe the "thumps" are occasional irregular heart beats or a short run of palpitations? In that case, B-blockers would help, but don't self-medicate for the thumps, okay? Strictly follow doc's orders with these. If you're feeling something isn't right, make the call, and maybe press them for an ECG?

It gets fairly complicated to delve into the workings of the sympathetic nervous system and receptors, and I don't mean that as a cop out. But to get to the working of Beta blockers in a nutshell, think of the 'fight or flight' response. You get that 'adrenaline rush,' feel your heart beat harder and faster, your blood pressure rises, etc. This is the result of Beta receptors in your heart muscle and blood vessels being stimulated by endogenous chemicals (adrenaline AKA epinephrine). In hyperthyroidism, there tends to be excessive sympathetic nerve activity and release of those chemicals that stimulate Beta receptors. Beta blockers 'sit on' those same receptors and block them from being stimulated. So, heart rate slows, blood pressure decreases.

I feel really lame, offering that up as an explanation of the action of B-blockers--it's really much more complicated than that. Not only am I not a pharmacologist, I'm a crappy teacher. There are different types of B-receptors, they're not found just in the heart and blood vessels, and some of the drugs are more selective than others. But that's the intro course, from my perspective.

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 09:05 AM
What does this mean? (Please tell the story :confused: If you don't mind, of course. ;) Sorry I didn't notice clearly enough before- 10 hours of class in one day will do that to a person...)

I was diagnosed with ALF (Acute Liver Failure). I've been on medications all my life for a weak heart, and multiple serious illnesses as a child (whooping cough, scarlet fever, measles, pneumonia, mono) I was essentially always on meds. At some point along the way, something went wrong (still not sure what; about half of the cases of ALF have unknown cause) and my liver sustained serious damage. At that point, I was taken off a lot of my meds because my liver couldn't do any processing. And now, I am the eternal designated driver :D

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Shannon, that really helps. I was having a really hard time driving before these pills because the slighest things would spook the crap out of me and I just became afraid of everything. It sucks because I love driving... And now I know why I was so spooked...

I don't exceed the dosage that my dr prescribed but I take less if I can (like 3 pills insted of 4...)

Puppyluv, you're ok now right?

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Yup, for the most part. Livers are like starfish, they're pretty regenerative. What's nice is that because I was "kicked off" the meds, I had to learn to deal with everything sans-medication, and now live pretty much med-free.
I'm serious about being the dd though, my liver, although repaired is pretty sensitive, and I'm much more subject to cirrhosis than the average person, so except for one or two key nights in my life, I don't drink regularily.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I didn't comment on that because I haven't had a sip of alcohol since I was 16... It's not a big shocker to hear somebody else doesn't drink, but it's refreshing in a way- like we're ahead of the game... :rolleyes:

Other than not drinking, are there any other consequences?

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I have to be careful with all liver-processed medications, I can't take tylenol, and I could never go on a low-carb diet, (not that I want to) because the protein would be a major assault on my system. Other than that, not really.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Oh, I hate atkins. I'm still waiting for the long term effects to come out (my dad is on it...). I love tylenol though.. I don't know what I would have done without tylenol when I had my concussion. :( (My drug of choice...)

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Tylenol was tough, as was ibuprofen, that was my drug of choice. I can take it now, but there were about 3 years where I couldn't and I didn't know what to do. I used to take it daily.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Was it a factor in your liver failing? Or was that genetic?

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 04:45 PM
The ibuprofen? no, i took it daily, because, well I don't really know why I took it daily. There were a whole bunch of studies on the benefits of taking it daily, but then there were a whole bunch of studies on why you shouldn't. When I trained 6 hours a day I took it to reduce pain and swelling though. It didn't lead to the departure of my hepatic functioning though. That was a huge combination of heart meds, other meds, genetics, life....

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Ahh. I remember the recent studies that said a tylenol a day prevented breast cancer... You can never have everything. You either get breast cancer or you get kidney and liver failure, you know what I mean? One day there will be the cure-all pill. (I think it's called the "stem cell" but we'll see...)

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 04:48 PM
One day there will be the cure-all pill. (I think it's called the "stem cell" but we'll see...)
LMAO Priceless!!!

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Finally a biology joke people understand!!! :D Usually they're along the lines of "I lost my organism!"