Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Canine Flu not Kennel Cough

StaceyB
September 27th, 2005, 11:07 PM
The strain of this canine flu has shown no cases so far in canada. It is killing 1 in 10 dogs. They say it is not a strain of Bordatella.

mona_b
September 27th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Funny that you just posted that.They just showed it on my news channel.

They suggested if your dog is coughing,keep them away from other dogs and parks.Just to be on the safe side.

StaceyB
September 27th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Horse flu jumped species to dogs and are moderately worried it may make another jump to humans. This new flu which there is no immunity kills 8 % of dogs infected.

Please if your dog shows any signs that it has a cold and/or cough take them to the vet right away.

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 11:41 PM
How can a germiphobe avoid the dog park when she's the president of it? :rolleyes: But I will anyway. I've given "orders" to shut and lock up the park if they hear of any cases.

What worries me most is the mass slaughter that happened with the bird flu- what will they do with dogs? I hope nothing. Please let it be nothing. :fingerscr

mona_b
September 27th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Well with the bird flu,that hit humans.If I heard correct,this flu only hits dogs.

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Yeah but they said since it jumped from horses to dogs, they're worried it might make another leap. :rolleyes:

StaceyB
September 28th, 2005, 12:02 AM
The Dr. from Guelph said that since it has already jumped species it is possible but thinks it is unlikely.

StaceyB
September 28th, 2005, 12:49 AM
New news, I will watch for the new details and post them.

Lissa
September 28th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Yes, there was a new broadcast/warning for Ottawa last night about this flu too...

I was researching it a bit and apperently some dogs have developed antibodies to this...which is good news!

Also, since the symptoms are closely related to kennel cough, it seems that a fever, runny nose and high white blood cell count all indicate it is this flu and more serious then kennel cough.

SnowDancer
September 28th, 2005, 11:42 AM
I called my vet's - no cases so far at their Toronto clinic. But my vet who rescues Greyhounds is going to call me back. I expect she will have good info. Depending on what you read and where - there appears to be 2 theories. The first being that there is a new strain of Kennel Cough affecting the throat and a new Canine Flu - so 2 new health risks. The newspaper article I read reported that what appeared to be a new strain of Kennel Cough is in fact an early symptom of the Canine Flu - so one new health problem. Apparently though many kennels have closed in New York. My dog's only contact with other animals is at his weekly socialization - he does go for a walk with this same group to a dog park - and I know the lady who walks them will avoid the park if deemed advisable.