Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat problems help...

mamatiffer
September 27th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Hi I have a 8 year old male cat named charlie he has recently started urinating on me 3 year old daugters bed. This is the only place (beside the litter box) that he does this. Its not everyday but it seems to be often. Is this a sign of illness or just jealousy. I have shut him out of her room but he always finds a way in. He does not appear to bed sick he eats fine, plays, sleeps, and acts normal he just occationally goes on her bed...why please help Thank you

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Wow, this issue comes up here a LOT. Try searching the forums. I'd say there's at least one every two weeks on the same subject.

sjat24
September 27th, 2005, 11:45 PM
My Mom cat does that to my brother bed only too., strange eh. Jeddy (the cat) will also pee on fresh clean clothes if they are not put away right away. Usally my brother leaves his clean clothes on the bed...hmm? I know Jeddy loves my brother and probably sees him as the Master, I am guessing his marking his territory on my brother so no one else will have him.
I am guessing.

CyberKitten
September 28th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Any kitty with inappropriate urination problems should be first seen by a vet to rule out medical problems. (Often, this is a way your cat is telling you there is a problem.) Have there been changes that may have stressed him recently?

Then, I would check to make sure it is not a litter box problem - that he has adequate access to the box, that the box is always clean (some cats get very particular and I can't say I blame them :) ), that he has enough boxes (the rule of thumb is one litter box per cat plus one), and that when you clean the area he inappopriately eliminated on, you did not use products with amonia like Javex to cleab it up. (amonia smells like urine to a cat and they will think this is where they should "go".)

Also, if he is not neutered, pls consider having that done so that he does not have a medical problem like cystitis or other probs that may be making irination painful - and he associates the pain with the litter box.

Good luck!

StinkyT
September 29th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I agree with CyberKitten. My brother's cat is so finicky he will go on beds if the litter box is not cleaned DAILY. At first we all thought he was just an @**hole and it took a little while but we finally figured out that he gets easily stressed if he looks/sniffs his litter box and it's not PRISTINE.

He's even had to change from clay to clumping litter so that he can remove most traces of the urine in the box when he cleans it out. If you must own a cat, you must cater to their every whims. :rolleyes: