Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

wild cat?

charlane
September 27th, 2005, 06:24 PM
I just adopted a male 4 month old kitten
He is so scared, he will not come around when anyone is around, he freaks out if anyone tries to catch him(my husband got it last night trying to catch him)
Once we can catch him he is so lovable and cuddly.
I think he was outside from the time he was born and not handled at all, so he must be a little wild, so can you train a wild kitten?

Poe
September 27th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I adopted a cat off the street a year ago... correction, he adopted me... and it was definitely worth it.

"Catching" him doesn't sound like a very good idea. Obviously you have to do it at some point, but if he is afraid while you're handling him, he'll learn to associate your touch with the fear. Instead, try putting him in a room with everything he needs and when you're with him, be gentle and let him make his move. He will--cats soon learn the benefits of owning a human.

Good luck!

StaceyB
September 27th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Be patient, he will come around when he is ready.

dmc123
September 27th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Hector recently adopted us. Just decided he wanted to live on our porch. The best we can tell he is around 7-8 or so. He was very afraid, very beat up, torn ear, scars, etc. Neither of us, my roomate and me, could touch him at first.

Slowly, we were able to touch his head. Then my roomie was brave enough to pet him. She got scratched pretty badly one time, but after all her patience, and wearing long sleeves and testing him by first holding and petting with a towel between them....after about 4-5 months.....she can now pick him up. I am not as bravem I still stroke his little head.

But he loves her attention, he just never had any before. It just takes time for some.

With yours being so young, it may not take as long.

Good luck,
Diane

Lucky Rescue
September 27th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Yes, feral cats (tame cats gone wild or born outdoors) can be tamed, with varying degrees of success.

First, you need to confine him to one room, so he can't hide all the time.

Do NOT chase, corner or grab him ever. He needs to learn that he is safe with you and can trust you, and chasing and grabbing him is teaching him that you are not to be trusted.

You need to go into his room as often as possible and spend as much time as you can in there. Just sit and quietly talk to him. Bring his food and sit next to him while he eats. Pet him very gently and if he backs away, let him.

Bring toys in and play with him. Toys on strings would be best. This will help relax him.

Always be non-threatening. Do not tower over him, or reach down to him. Don't stare at him. Let him come to you when he feels safe.

I've tamed lots of feral cats and kittens, and this method is the best one. Do not try and rush him.

huskypup
September 29th, 2005, 01:04 AM
I am raising 3 ferral kittens at present, I work on a military base and we catch them in traps and rehome the kittens - neuteur or spay the adults and release them.

I have always tamed mine with food, I have a purpose cat room ( or bedroom 4!!) with climbing trees and toys and litter trays (I always fill half earth and half cat litter then slowly increase the litter). I always have a radio on in there very quietly and a chair, and I just sit quietly and slowly I can play with them, I always go in with food and after about a week or so they are usually tame enough to handle.

Do not chase them, unless you have to administer medication, even worming tablets and flea medication can be given in food now. Do not try and bath them, that will only make it worse.

I have four cats myself, all are ferral and all have completely different personalities, one thinks hes a dog and sleeps with the huskies, the other three, rule the upstairs of the house and the front garden.

Have patience and you will be rewarded.