Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Info

Me and Kayla
September 27th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Does anyone know of a boarding kennel between the Beaches and Brampton, that will take Pitbulls? I'm looking for Oct. 5th - Oct. 10th. Can't believe how tough this is turning out to be. Got an invite to go away to a cottage for the weekend, and could take her except that it is a 6 hour trip (including 2 hours on a ferry) and Kayla gets car sick after one hour. :(

Me and Kayla

bluntman
September 27th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Have you been turned down? I cant imagine a reputable kennel saying no to a pitbull,they of all people should know dogs are individuals, and can't be painted with one brush. If they don't take pits, I would not trust them with any dog. To bad you can't take her, she would have a blast out there I'm sure. It took me allmost two months of haveing mercedes in the van with me everyday untill she got over her carsickness, now she loves it.

Lucky Rescue
September 27th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Agree with Bluntman. I wouldn't trust a kennel that descriminates against breeds.

Here is a reply given by a vet concerning carsickness and Gravol. Maybe it will help you and you can take your girl with you!

-------------------------------------------

Do not feed the dog before the trip.

Gravol could be used for your dog, given one hour before the trip at the dosage prescribed for a child.
Gravol is non-toxic when used at low doses.

The other possibility would be to give a homeopathic remedy like Cocculus 5 CH or Cocculine sold by Boiron in drugstores, also an hour bofore the trip.
This homepathic product has no toxicity at all.

With time, the dog should react less to the car trip.

Paul Guindon dmv
Clinique veterinaire Salaberry
Medecine conventionnelle et holystique
1895 Salaberry, Montreal, Qc
514-334-7280

Me and Kayla
September 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Have you been turned down? I cant imagine a reputable kennel saying no to a pitbull,they of all people should know dogs are individuals, and can't be painted with one brush. If they don't take pits, I would not trust them with any dog. To bad you can't take her, she would have a blast out there I'm sure. It took me allmost two months of haveing mercedes in the van with me everyday untill she got over her carsickness, now she loves it.

Can't say that I've been turned down BECAUSE she is a pitbull, but there is no availability for one reason or another. I haven't tried ALL the boarding kennels yet. Still working through them one at a time.

I've had Kayla in the car a lot, but we never seem to get over the one hour mark before she starts vomiting in the car. Shortly after that...the 'other end' starts flowing. It isn't pleasant on a long trip!

I'm visiting the vet this week to see if there are some other alternatives to sedating her. And still hammering away at all my friends and family to see if someone will stay here at the house and take care of her for the weekend.

:)

Me and Kayla

Me and Kayla
September 27th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Do not feed the dog before the trip.

Gravol could be used for your dog, given one hour before the trip at the dosage prescribed for a child.
Gravol is non-toxic when used at low doses.

The other possibility would be to give a homeopathic remedy like Cocculus 5 CH or Cocculine sold by Boiron in drugstores, also an hour bofore the trip.
This homepathic product has no toxicity at all.

With time, the dog should react less to the car trip.

Thanks! Going to check this out with my vet. :)

Me and Kayla

Jono
September 27th, 2005, 03:44 PM
We don't board Rosie, but she's fine in the car. Here's the name and info of a kennel that took our last foster pit between her time with us and her next home:

Wychwood Park Animal Hospital

416-651-4801
631 St Clair Avenue West,
Toronto, ON
M6C 1A7

I guess they had a run, and a community dog area. They didn't mind Coco at all.
As an aside, when I was walking her to the kennel, I had to walk right by Bryant's constituancy office. I shook my fist at it as I walked by.