Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Smelly Dog

savannah
September 27th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I have a dog who seriously stinks. He stinks after coming home from the groomer, he stinks after taking a bath, he just always stinks, and this morning, his stink made me gag.
Is there any kind of dog cologne that is safe and works? Is there a shampoo that is for really smelly dogs? Is there anything i can do? Is this a medical condition, should i take him to my vet? I think my vet already thinks i am an over the top client.
He is an indoor dog, and only goes outside when he has to "go". I must admit, i don't bathe him too often, i don't want to harm his skin/coat. I give him a bath maybe once a month.
His breath also reeks (which adds to his stink). I brush his teeth with chicken toothpaste (why didn't i choose vanilla mint?). he had dental work done a few months ago, and they removed a lot of his teeth.
This is the dog i adopted from a shelter, and although he has a few behavioural issues, i love him to death, but everyone complains of how much he smells. I don't know why he smells so much, my other Peke hardly smells at all, and they have the same bath/outdoor habits. My entire house smells like a wet dog. Any advice or tips would be really appreciated!

MIA
September 27th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Not sure what you are feeding the dog or what the smell is BUT if it's a yeasty stinky it's probably diet related... I've had a few stinky MinPins that were basically walking yeast infections! I got them off food that would feed yeast, ie no corn, wheat etc and I gave them baths in tar shampoo, if there is a yeast or bacteria this kills it, also you can try betadine. You could try it three days a week for a week, then taper to two, one etc.

Not sure if that will help but it helped the stinky pins I've had in the past.....

pitbulliest
September 27th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Definately check with your vet....it may very well be the type of food you're feeding...if your dog is on a ****ty dog food, it will smell like ****...

Sometimes, if the dog has internal health problems...like with organs or inside the stomach or something, it may cause the dog to smell as well..or maybe its a skin condition..

I would check with the vet though for sure...its not normal for a dog to smell..especially after bathing and grooming..

savannah
September 27th, 2005, 12:54 PM
He's eating a mixture of Merricks senior plate dry food with a homemade dog food mainly consisting of: Lamb, sweet potato, apple, brocolli, spinach, carrots, 1 clove garlic. He gets 2 tablespoons of the homemade dog food with each meal, as my other dog is a picky dog, and i have to make this for her to mix with her food (wilderness blend), and i don't want him to feel that he is getting left out.
I don't know if the smell is yeasty, it is more like a basic wet dog multiplied by 10.
Are tar shampoo and betadine widely available?
I was thinking the same thing, that maybe it is a sign of some other problem, but i don't want to go to the vet looking like an idiot.

Puppyluv
September 27th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Tar shampoo is readily available, as it is commonly used for dandruff by humans.
I don't think this is related to the smell, but garlic can be toxic to dogs. They aren't as dangerous as onions, but they do contain thiosulphate, which can kill dogs.

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 05:36 PM
The smelly dogs I know are smelly because of a) their teeth or b) their ears. Does he have clean ears? Are his teeth ok now or are they still tartary?

mastifflover
September 27th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I have a smelly dog too but it is the type of coat he has more than anything else but he is not foul smelling or really offensive. Could be your food, or maybe try a oatmeal shampoo they are really gentle on the skin and you could bathe him more. I might drop by your vets and see if it is a medical problem. But then some dogs are stinkier than others. I had a Bloodhound who also stunk if he did not get bathed every other month.

StaceyB
September 27th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Skin problems can cause smellsin dogs, so can problems with teeth, ear infections/mites, and digestive tract.
I would suggest you take him in for a complete examination.

savannah
September 28th, 2005, 08:46 AM
It just occurred to me, he got a complete wellness screen at the vet 3 months ago, and they did not find anything wrong with him (and he was really smelly back then too). I think that it is probably his teeth. It is the stinkiest part of him, and although his front teeth are pretty free of tartar, his molars look like they have a lot of it. I clean them everyday, but to no avail (using vet solutions poultry toothpaste).
I did read some articles about what is good/bad for dogs, but garlic was so unclear whether it really is bad for dogs. I know lots of people who feed homemade food, and they use garlic (esp. in the summer for mosquitoes), and i see that the higher end dog food have whole clove garlic in the ingredients (i.e. wellness and merricks), so i figure as long as it is in moderation, it is okay. I read homeopathic books, and they all praise garlic (i eat tons myself!) so i think it is good for my dogs. They don't eat a lot of it, probably half a clove a week each.
But even grapes are on that list, and before i read they were poisonous to dogs, my girl was eating tons of grapes, with no problems or illnesses. What to feed dogs is just so controversial. :confused:

Daizy
September 28th, 2005, 11:10 AM
I know its expensive; but have you thought of letting the vets do a thorough tartar clean on the teeth. I'm just wondering as obvously if her teeth are bad and need a professional clean, how do you know how much of that badness is leeking into your dog's sysem and causing the odor. Just an idea anyhow.

SnowDancer
September 28th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Could an abcess be forming on one of your dog's teeth? That will cause very bad odor.

Luvmypit
September 28th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Don't forget to check the anal glands. that area can smell like no tommorrow if its blocked or leaking.

StaceyB
September 28th, 2005, 09:43 PM
The study on grapes was only done a couple of years ago. How old was your list. They have found that grapes cause kidney failure and don't yet know how many will do it so best to stay away from them all together.

StaceyB
September 28th, 2005, 10:00 PM
The easiest way to find out is to smell your dog to find out where on him the smell is coming from.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 12:08 AM
It just occurred to me, he got a complete wellness screen at the vet 3 months ago, and they did not find anything wrong with him (and he was really smelly back then too). I think that it is probably his teeth. It is the stinkiest part of him, and although his front teeth are pretty free of tartar, his molars look like they have a lot of it. I clean them everyday, but to no avail (using vet solutions poultry toothpaste).I think getting the tartar removed by the vet is a good place to start. There can be inflammation under the tartar and even infections. Once it gets thick on the molars, you can't really do it yourself very easily. Also, try to look at the gums for a clue. The gums should be uniformly light pink (or black...). When the tartar is bad, the gums get really red around the teeth. And don't bother looking at the front teeth. The back ones tend to get tartar buildup much more easily.

savannah
September 29th, 2005, 08:54 AM
yes, it must be his teeth. He got dental work done maybe 4 months ago (just before we adopted him). How often do dogs need to get their teeth cleaned? When i took him to my vet, to get him to guess his age, he said it was hard to tell from his teeth, because they were just cleaned. So he had to guess by his eyes, and guessed between 8 - 12 years old (what a span!). They cleaned and pulled many of his teeth before we adopted him. The vet noticed he had one exposed gum, but other than that he said his teeth were okay.
What is invovled in dog dentistry? Is it a risky procedure? Does it take long, and lastly, rough idea of the price? I never had to do this myself for my other dog who is 4.
thanks again for all the responses.