Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

8 yr old golden won't eat after many vet trips

raeheuer
September 27th, 2005, 07:41 AM
My parents have an 8 year old golden retriever that has had an eating problem since last July. He weighed in around 80lbs (he was a little over weight), now he's at 50-55. The vet checked him a couple of times--nothing bacterial, no problems with the pancreas, no abscessed tooth. They tried changing dog foods, and even giving human food, but now it's to the point that he'll eat a little and end up vomitting everything back up. He gets skinnier and skinnier every time I go home and I just want him to get better!

jawert1
September 27th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Hi raehauer, I would recommend your folks asking the vet to do more extensive testing immediately, like barium xrays to verify that the pup isn't experiencing some kind of blockage in the stomach or intestine. They aren't terribly expensive stateside (just went through one for one of my dogs) and will at least give all of you another jumping off point for treatment so he doesn't lose more weight :) Keep us posted :)

jessi76
September 27th, 2005, 08:26 AM
you need to encourage your parents to find another vet. Something is obviously wrong... get a 2nd, or 3rd vet opinion if necessary.