Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick doggie

pittsburghirish
September 27th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Hello,
I have a two year old border collie mix named Bandit. When I came home tonight from work he didnt greet me in his usual rambunctious way. I let him out side and he didnt want to come back in. This is even more unusual. So I was thinking that he was down because he was home alone alot today so i took him on a walk. While walking he vomitted a white liquid that looked like slime. Anyways, ive been sitting with him and he seems very tired and there is a slight whistle when he exhales. Im going to take him to the vet tomorrow but please somebody tell me how serious this sounds. Id like to get some sleep tonight but now its not looking like it. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Larry

jessi76
September 27th, 2005, 09:37 AM
I just wanted to say I hope it's not serious, and good luck at the vet. Come back and post an update if you can.

Maximellion
September 27th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Sounds like kennel cough to me. Pippi, my dog, started out this way too with lots of white foamy mucus being upchucked. Check out the thread on this about an outbreak in Ottawa and one in Toronto. Keep your dog quarantined from other dogs until you get a vet evaluation.

Good luck. Mel

pittsburghirish
September 28th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Bandy started having bloody diarehea. we got some antibiotics and medicine from the vet. also he threw up his water about six times today and still hasnt eaten anything. I got some purina EN. That stuff looks nasty, i wouldnt eat it either. I'm gonna start his Pills in the AM.

Looking for a somewhat easy method to get him to take his pills.

ANY SUGESTIONS?

Thanks

Larry

Writing4Fun
September 28th, 2005, 08:02 AM
So sorry to hear about your doggie! What was the vet's diagnosis?

Phoebe hates taking her pills, too (maybe it's a Border Collie thing ;) ). So, I always give it to her coated in something yummy, like canned food or peanut butter.

Keep us posted on your pup's progress. :fingerscr

jessi76
September 28th, 2005, 09:39 AM
oh I'm sorry Bandit isn't feeling well.... please keep us updated.

another suggestion for the pills, is plain cream cheese. my pup woofs it down, never noticing a pill inside.

pittsburghirish
September 28th, 2005, 12:40 PM
The diagnosis is gastro enteritis. The vet thinks its bacteria that he may have picked up in some stagnant water or some garbage. Thats what she found in a fecal smear. well hes held a little water down today. so thats a big step. however as far as the pills go, usually i would give them to him in food but hes been turning his head up at everything that Ive tried to give him. and Im afraid that if i force the pills on him, he will throw up again. But i guess that what i will have to do.

jawert1
September 29th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Hey Pittsburgh, glad to hear that the vet turned up something tangible, always helpful to know your first steps so you can plan the next ones. I've found that pills hidden in globs of peanut butter, or wrapped in a bit of bread with peanut butter work wonders. My shepherd Peach is a bit of a nut about taking pills and trying to restrain a 60lb dog, well, not easy and VERY stressful. You could also try a bit of liver paste (Kong makes a good one) or some cheese even to try and coax Bandit into taking them.

Hugs and wags!

BMDLuver
September 29th, 2005, 09:39 AM
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/blstomyc.html

Has the vet considered Leptospirosis or Blastomycosis? Just some thoughts as we just learned of a dog in this area dying from Blastomycosis and there are strains of Leptospirosis also killing dogs here.

pittsburghirish
September 30th, 2005, 05:55 AM
well bandy hasnt eaten in 7 days now. he went from 53 lbs (Pounds) to 40lbs. hes still throwing up water and having blood diahrea. Ive tried to feed him everything and anything: peanut butter, cheese, oatmeal, raw egg, baby food, steak, humburger, beef broth, chicken broth, roast beef, potato chips, ensure, ice cream. I mean absolutely everything that he could possibly like. This is making it very difficult for him to hold his meds down . What else can I entice him with???

P.S. props to dad for saying that he would pay for any and all expenses that would get bandy back on his feet

cpietra16
September 30th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Can you go back to the vet's and have them give him the pills. Let them show you a good way of doing it so that he does not throw it up. If he won't eat anything you may just be wasting them anyway...I hope you find a way so he can show progress. Good luck. By the way can this medication be given intervenusly?

TobsterMom
September 30th, 2005, 07:58 AM
The only thing I can think of to get his meds in is a pill gun. You can get these from your vet. You just pop the pill in the end (it's a long plastic stick), push the button, and it pops the pill in the back of his throat. Maybe once he's on his meds for a bit, he'll feel like eating more. As for food, I would stay away from ice cream and eggs. Keep him hydrated and ask the vet if he carries a product like ensure for dogs, we used to have it where I worked, the animals would usually drink this when they were very sick.

I wouldn't wait to see if he lost more weight, and he may become dehydrated. Your dog may have to get his fluids and meds through IV if he can't hold anything down. Poor baby.

pittsburghirish
September 30th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I agree that eggs and icecream should probably not be fed to a dog but my relatives had a laphsa poo that wouldnt eat and the vet prescribed a raw egg and it kickstarted her appetite. We are desperate here. I have some Glucerna that im gonna try today after his meds are absorbed. He does seem to have a little more energy today, but not much at all. I asked the vet last night if we could try liquid amoxicillin instead of the pills and she said that the drops dont come in nearly as strong a dose as the pills. hes currently taking 500 mg of metronidazole twice a day and 400mg amoxicillin twice a day. Does anyone know this to be true?