Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sentimental music?

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Hmm.. I'm trying to think of a good poll and I might have it... It's hard because it's just about dating people... You know?

So here goes...

What era or genre of music do the songs with the most sentimental value to you come from?

Personally, I think the answer is whatever music was around when you were a teenager, but I could be very wrong...

Mine is early-mid 90's music- like Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Beck (before he was famous), Bjork, Hole, Nirvana, Jane's Addiction, the Violent Femmes (they're pretty 80's though).

(The management of Prin Polls is sorry for any delay in getting the poll done...)

StaceyB
September 26th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Mostly 80's and some early 90's.
It is funny how a song can bring back memories of events in your life.

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Wow, that was a hard poll... I can't think of anything in the early 90's... I know it's 80's run-off, but I couldn't remember-- Oh Paula Abdul!

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Thanks WW. :o

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 26th, 2005, 11:48 PM
ahem..... fleetwood mac is not cheesy.

I was pretty into the punk eighties I had a black and orange Mohawk wore all black and my clothes were purposely held together with safety pins. If anyone knows Vancouver I hung out at the Luv Affair.

I liked all the 80s bands like New Order, The the, Simple Minds, Violent Femmes, Velvet Underground, Psychadelic Furs, Skinny Puppy, Images in Vogue, Grapes of Wrath if I happen to hear a song I get all sentimental.

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Well, it was either cheesy or easy... They're don't fit in the category with the beatles and the doors, do they?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 26th, 2005, 11:52 PM
I will forgive you for calling the Mac cheesy okay they are easy. But I see you like the femmes so that is cool with me.

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 11:55 PM
I got a blister in the sun...

Hey, some of their songs are really sexist though... But otherwise they're ok...

Oh no! I forgot the Beastie Boys!! You have to fight! For your right! To Paaaaaaartey!

JaydeDoggie
September 27th, 2005, 12:44 AM
I'm soo sorry, but I HAD to chose the last one. Because my option wasn't there.
R&B Music ... ANY .. from all eras that is considered R&B really gets to me

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I know- I forgot R&B and rap... Sorry.

shannonRN
September 27th, 2005, 01:12 AM
LOL, like you even had to ask in the other post what the poll should be about. You obviously cooked it up just fine on your own, and did a great job. It's hard to cover all the bases.

Pretty much all music takes me back to some point in time, but I'm torn between 70's and 80's. I was just a little squirt in the 70's, but my parents were both very into music and disco-esque music reminds me of mom in her bell bottoms; the harder stuff reminds me of dad avoiding mom by turning up the music. The late 80's/early 90's were more 'my' time and I equate the music more to time spent with friends. I spent more than a little time belting out Violent Femmes, The Cure, and Jane's Addiction. Don't forget They Might Be Giants, Ramones, Dead Milkmen.

This's less a sentimental thing, more a nausea thing--but I don't think there is any other song that gives me a more physical reaction than Beck's "Loser." That song was HUGE when I was a sophomore/junior??? in college (the first time I went to school) and I don't know if that's because it brings me back to frat parties, shots of jagermeister and tequila and hugging the porcelain god, or if it's some other reason. Maybe b/c deep down, I suspect "soy un perdedor." :sad:

Good post Prin :thumbs up

shannonRN
September 27th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Now that you've got me reminiscing, I don't see the hair bands represented by any of the choices--Poison, Motley Crue, Warrant, Skid Row, Gunz n Roses, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Metallica, Tesla, etc. I listened to a lot of that too. Now I want to dig up my old cassette collection!

Writing4Fun
September 27th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Pretty much all of those eras hold some sort of fond memory for me.

I'll always have a soft spot for swing, big band - that's my dad's influence.

Growing up, it was Rush, Journey, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd...all those artists that remind me of my brothers. Styx's "Sweet Madam Blue" will forever conjure images of my oldest brother's garage band, and I'd sit watching them for hours and just drool over the lead singer. :o

Oh, man - during the college years, it was Bon Jovi, Aerosmith...good times... :)

I went through a Metallica phase, a Madonna phase, Boy George, George Michael, early U2 ... boy was I a screwed up youngun! :D

BMDLuver
September 27th, 2005, 09:13 AM
hmmmm, I don't think I fall into a category...

Elton John, Supertramp, Beatles, Sting, Simon n Garfunkel, Paul Simon, ACDC, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Styx ....

I think W4F and I must be of similar age! :D

Pink Floyd conjures up memories of experimental days... ;)

Writing4Fun
September 27th, 2005, 09:56 AM
I think you're right, BMDLover. ;) How could I forget Supertramp?! And ACDC?! Hubby recently picked up their "Back in Black" cd/dvd dual disc. Very cool. :cool:

jessi76
September 27th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Now that you've got me reminiscing, I don't see the hair bands represented by any of the choices--Poison, Motley Crue, Warrant, Skid Row, Gunz n Roses, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Metallica, Tesla, etc. I listened to a lot of that too. Now I want to dig up my old cassette collection!

I'm w/ you shannonRn, hairbands!

Roxy's_MA
September 27th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I choose:

Mid-late 90's- Grunge/Rock- Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Creed, Live, etc

That is probably my age speaking. I like alot of the late 90's-2000's, but not pop music. I am a rock person for sure.

jjgeonerd
September 27th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Oh no! I forgot the Beastie Boys!! You have to fight! For your right! To Paaaaaaartey!
Aahhh...Beastie Boys License to Ill. One of the all time great CDs (or albums). Reminds me of living in the dorms at college (what I remember of it anyways) :evil:

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 03:52 PM
It's really hard to make a poll with only 10 options.... If I had more, I would have taken more time to think and maybe I would have remembered the GNR and Metallica genre bands too... Sorry... But at least I got you thinking, right? :o

Beastie Boys are classic. :)

Crep! I forgot Rage against the Machine too... They were responsible for my half-pipe song... "*** you, I won't do what you tell me!" (That song pumped me up and if it was playing I could actually get way out of the pipe... Ahh, those were the days. :( )

Oh and Primus too!

Puppyluv
October 2nd, 2005, 09:58 PM
My most sentimental music is from summer camp. But not the usual campfire-kiddy songs. Songs like One Tin Soldier, Cat's in the Cradle, Moon shaddow, Lean on Me etc.

CyberKitten
October 3rd, 2005, 01:27 AM
What the blazes is "cheesier" rock? I selected 60's even tho I grew up eith the a 70's pop music - I always thought disco was some sort of aberrant phase and hardly a genre (kind of miffed anyone would consider it a category, lol). I actually like folk and celtic which is not there which shows that not many ppl understand the Maritimes (and east coast music, which is sooo wonderful and lasting. I mean Ron Hynes' "Sonny's Dream" is the most recorded song ever - as in the world of all Cdn songs (well except for Aulde Lang Syne by Guy Lombardo but given that it's based on a Scottish poem, I am not sure it counts).

And where is the French music? I wonder if you really live in Quebec Prin, lol Our new GG says the "Two Solitudes" thing is over but I suspect she may be wrong. In northern NB, everyone was cheering Wilfred on Star Acadamie and in Halifax, I have to explain what that is and who he is. And many Acadiens were not that keen on Cdn Idol but the Star Academie CD sold out. So I am one of those few Canadians who lives among both cultures and it is kewl and frustrating at the same time. I see both sides just not knowing the other hardly exists. If it exists in music, you can bet it exists politically too.

I disagree about the teenager thing too Prin. I was not a teenager in the 60's but I love that music and folk (the real stuff, not fluff like Peter, Paul and Mary or Joan Baez which I like but it is more soft pop than true roots folk) which is just timeless. It is the music that moves you - and that happens throughout our lives at various periods. I suspect you have not lived long enuf to realize that yet. You will understand what I mean when you get to be my age. Then again, I was always one of those kids (like many of my patients who have to face the possibility of an early death) who was 10 going on 40 and there are days I think much of the world is too frivilous for its own good. I have ecelectic tastes but I think perhaps 15 plus yrs of music lessons will do that.

There are some songs I like now but most of it soooo ewwww!! Unless music touches you, it has not achieved its goal and for me, only real folk (think Nanci Griffith or Donat LaCroix when he sings Viens Voir L'Acadie or even the Wolfetones doing a rendition of Whiskey in the Jar (as sexist as those lyrics are). Much of the stuff alledgedly called rock today says nothing to me and thankfully, we can dl stuff from so many eras and genres.

The poll is fun but with all due respect, misses so many important genres. Classical music, new age, country, folk-country, swing from the 40's (another ugh but it was way before my time, lol), did I mention Celtic, lol, the mellow 70's - Carly Simon and James Taylor who wanted to sound like protesters but come across more as whiners). Do I dare mention that I prob have every John Denver song EVER done, lol (That's a genre of its own, haha) - sort of pop folk but also soft pop. Mellow something and also country, what about bluegrass which is quite unique in and of itself. Surely this group is more diverse than the categories listed there (most all fit 2-3 categories, rock, pop and oldies.). Has anyone else noticed that some of the country in the 90's sounded like some 60's rock and roll (Not to be confused with hard rock). I refer tio Martina McBride and the Dicie Chicks and redoing My Maria and Young Love by the Twister Alley. I don't muich get rap or hip hop but my guess is many African Americans who started it don't care for Celtic either.

So, no, I do not think music is something you learn as a teenager. It is your roots, who you are, where you come from, when you fell in love, what moves you and that happens at all ages. The music you like as a teenager tends to be your youthful stuff and defines who you were when you were growing up, unless you never do grow up (and that idea has much to say for it some days, lol)

Anyway - I WAS asleep till the phone woke me up. Life in a 24/7 job. Now I can't get back to sleep but I better try or it will be a loooong day tomorrow er today!!!!

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 11:46 AM
LOL Ya, it wasn't a comprehensive list. I only have 10 options to go with you know, so I tried to get the most popular... :)

Rick C
October 3rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Sadly, I'm old enough to remember my father banning The Beatles in our house. So you've probably covered all the bases from the 60, 70's, 80's and 90's!!!

Sue me . . . . I liked the pop music and peroxide blondes, male and female, of the 80's and it was just the other day I was thinking of popping over to the record store to get Madonna's "Like A Prayer".

This thread sort of reminds me of that scene from "Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle" when the boys hijack the truck of the lunatic metalheads and find they have "Wilson Phillips" in the stereo. Great music but who would admit it?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Beaglemom
October 3rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
I've been all over the place with my music selection over the years. I've always liked Madonna. In the early 80's I was into the pop music. Then I really got into Metal and hair bands. Loved Poison, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Warrant, Scorpions, Led Zepplin, Metallica, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, etc. Too many bands to list! I will always love my Hard Rock and Metal! I like Bryan Adams' older stuff, don't like his new stuff at all. I've always liked New Order and some other Alternative bands as well.

Okay, I'll admit to having liked Michael Jackson, George Michael, Wham and Boy George back when I was really young.

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
When I was little, really little, I was a huge fan of Elton John and Rod Stewart... But if anybody asks, I'll only fess up to liking the Beatles... They're the only ones that stuck anyway.