Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone aware of Action Taken???

LoNScamp
September 26th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Is anyone aware of any action being taken resulting from Pit complaints. The only incident I have heard about is of an owner being told to muzzle and leash his Pit in public after the police were called because his and another Pit went after a dog. After some words over the Pits charging the other dog the owner of one of the pits threatened to kill the person with the other dog.

mona_b
September 26th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Is anyone aware of any action being taken resulting from Pit complaints. The only incident I have heard about is of an owner being told to muzzle and leash his Pit in public after the police were called because his and another Pit went after a dog. After some words over the Pits charging the other dog the owner of one of the pits threatened to kill the person with the other dog.

I have gotten a few calls in regards to some "stupid" complaints.You know,the dog was barking at people,the dog is not muzzled in the backyard.Like we have nothing better to do.Unfortunately we have to go to these calls.

Now my question to you is were the cops around when this "death" threat was made?

SnowDancer
September 27th, 2005, 11:19 AM
I am watching carefully in my Toronto neighbourhood. All dogs should be leashed on city streets - forget the muzzle at this point - I am referring strictly to be leashed. There are 3 pit bulls running loose in my neighbourhood with owners walking behind them - and the dogs do not respond when told not to go after other dogs - mine included. My dog is always leashed. People with pit bulls are not helping their cause by such flagrant disregard for basic laws - all they are accomplishing is turning people against their cause. I have experienced 2 run-ins. It is getting to the point where I look both ways when I take my dog out and often have to retreat fast. There are a few other large breed dogs always off leash who have attacked smaller dogs. I am fully aware of the Alpha nature of many small dogs but they aren't likely to kill a Pit or Rotti. I do not want these dogs taken away from their owners, but I want the leash law enforced. At this point I am hoping for a "snitch" line. I am not the only person in my neighbourhood to feel this way - particularly with a park right across the street that is lease required.

bluntman
September 27th, 2005, 11:42 AM
People with pit bulls are not helping their cause by such flagrant disregard for basic laws - all they are accomplishing is turning people against their cause.
People who allow there dogs to run loose in the city are not for any cause, they are just stupid people with dogs, they can pass all the laws they want, but stupid people will allways be stupid. The people fighting this ban, are not the people allowing there dogs to run loose in the city, no matter what breed they own. I see dogs running loose all over our city too, and we have no leash free parks here, If a city cannot enforce leash laws, how on earth does Bryant expect them to enforce a pit bull ban? Untill cities can cope with existing laws, new laws are useless, and only affect law bidding dog owners.

pitbulliest
September 27th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Although I am for enforcement of leash laws..and I believe everyone should abide...I have to bring up this one point.....

I think that there should be more offleash areas for dog owners...I for one, live in an area that is always very busy..traffic, highway nearby, alot of people, buses running back and forth non stop..and alot of kids....although I respect the leash laws....I find it difficult to allow my dog to run around and get exercise anywhere...I have to take my dog into a car and drive to a park (the one I go to doesn't even have a sign as to whether or not dogs are allowed on or off leash) and take her for a run there...and when it starts to get busy there during the summer....I don't have anywhere to go, especially since my dog is a pitbull, and sometimes (depending on the dog's character and dominance level) dog aggressive! I CAN'T EVEN USE OFFLEASH DOG PARKS! WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO GO?!

This is only going to get worse with the new law..now I can't even let my dog run around to get exercise in an offleash area, let alone a park...its very frustrating...and I believe its going to force me to take her into empty schoolyards during late hours of the night...............giving people fines for not leashing their dogs is fine with me...as long as they're sensible about it for crying out loud...but at the same time, they should offer some advice as to where to take your dog to get their bloody exercise! If you ask an officer or animal control guy where the nearest offleash area is, they don't have a clue...

Anyways...just thought I'd bring it up..this whole situation stinks...PERIOD

bluntman
September 27th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I think there should be more off leash parks too I'm all for them, but not people walking down streets with off leash dog's. We don't have leash free parks here becuse one city counsler said "The pit bulls around here would turn the park into a blood bath" so that was the end of that, no leash free parks for us. I would not take my dogs to one, but for the people that want to, go for it. Since we have no official leash free park, people just use all city parks as leash free, and we now have the highest dog bite stats of any city our size,(up allmost 100% over last year) and this pit bull ban will do nothing to curb those numbers, but most local reporters, beleive otherwise, since thats the only bites they report, the hundred plus bites from other breeds don't count.
Part of the problem here is that there are kids running,screaming and playing in these parks, off leash dogs should not be there, they need there own park away from small children and people who don't have, or like dogs. But that is something our city just does not get, and now we see the results of there ignorence.

LoNScamp
September 28th, 2005, 07:51 PM
I agree dogs should not be on the street without a leash, for thier own safety among other reasons. There are by-laws that govern this, they are never enforced, nor are they enforced in parks outside of the off-leash areas which really burns me. I just attempted to do a rant on "off leash areas and owners who are . . .", however my computer lost the web page so that was that, maybe someone was trying to tell me that this is not a good day to rant. :)

Pitbul. . I sympathize with you. The position you are in is so unfair and is based on ignorance.

I'd be surprised if a lot of effort will go into enforcing the law, in Toronto anyways. They can't be bothered to enforce existing by-laws i.e. leash laws, poop'n scoop laws, why would anyone put any effort into enforcing this one?

babyrocky1
September 28th, 2005, 08:15 PM
I agree dogs should not be on the street without a leash, for thier own safety among other reasons. There are by-laws that govern this, they are never enforced, nor are they enforced in parks outside of the off-leash areas which really burns me. I just attempted to do a rant on "off leash areas and owners who are . . .", however my computer lost the web page so that was that, maybe someone was trying to tell me that this is not a good day to rant. :)

Pitbul. . I sympathize with you. The position you are in is so unfair and is based on ignorance.

I'd be surprised if a lot of effort will go into enforcing the law, in Toronto anyways. They can't be bothered to enforce existing by-laws i.e. leash laws, poop'n scoop laws, why would anyone put any effort into enforcing this one?Thanks for the sympathy LoNScamp....at the present time "Bi-law enforcement officers are being hired and trained in Toronto to help enforce the ban, ( the enactment period of the ban is over OCT 28th thats why you havent seen much of anything yet.)don't know whoes paying for it but thats the latest I have heard. AC and police in my area are not into the ban either but these new enforcement officers, well it will be there only job so....Snow dancer, a snitch line exists in a sence, you can call animal control or the police but it will result in the person losing their dogs if they are pit bulls, also if they are pit bulls and are taken from theere owner they may very well be put down) if they are not pit bulls AC will probably not show up or if they do it will be many hours too late. In my neighbourhood, pretty much ONLY the pit bulls are on leash...its a free for all for everyone else. The non-dog owners have been calling animal control for years...about once a year they ticket maybe one person for having there dogs off leash. This presents all sorts of problems for those of us with leashed and muzzled pit bulls :eek: I know its frustrating when people havae un-leashed dogs, especially if you feel that they are potentialy agressive but would it be possible to talk to the owners, maybe warn them tht AC has been cruising the neighbourhood or something? Its a really sad situation cause if the owners are so cavalier with pit bulls at this point they will probably not muzzle and end up losing the dogs anyways :eek:

LoNScamp
September 28th, 2005, 11:09 PM
a snitch line exists in a sence, you can call animal control or the police but it will result in the person losing their dogs if they are pit bulls, also if they are pit bulls and are taken from theere owner they may very well be put down) if they are not pit bulls AC will probably not show up or if they do it will be many hours too late. In my neighbourhood, pretty much ONLY the pit bulls are on leash...its a free for all for everyone else. The non-dog owners have been calling animal control for years...about once a year they ticket maybe one person for having there dogs off leash. This presents all sorts of problems for those of us with leashed and muzzled pit bulls :eek: I know its frustrating when people havae un-leashed dogs, especially if you feel that they are potentialy agressive but would it be possible to talk to the owners, maybe warn them tht AC has been cruising the neighbourhood or something? Its a really sad situation cause if the owners are so cavalier with pit bulls at this point they will probably not muzzle and end up losing the dogs anyways :eek:

Well perhaps an effective strategy could be that people call re off-leash dogs regardless of breed and when it is not dealt with call thier local polititians, AC, police, provincial politicians.

If infact what you are saying about a special "force of pit bull hunters" is being trained and other issues are being ignored people could start complaining about the lack of response from AC, etc. re all the other stuff that goes on re irresponsible dog ownership. I'm going to e-mail my councillor and Fillion who is responsible for Public Health and ask them what's going on and why such effort is being put into the pit ban, but not the other problems.

From what I have read the ban in the UK is usless. There are more pits in the country than ever and the government is not prepared to pay the costs of enforcing the legislation.

Can I ask what part of the city you are in? PM me if you want.

I have a pit in one of my classes, no objections from any one else in the class. Great dog, the owner found him and his sister in a garbage dumpster about 3 months ago. He had open wounds on his body and weighed about 25 pounds. He is now 9 months old, weighs 60 pounds and is healthy, great looking dog with a great temperment. Totaly focused on playing with the other dogs and not the owner, but we will work on that.

babyrocky1
September 30th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Hi LoNScamp, I did pm you yesterday but it seems to have disappeared, I dont want to appear rude so Ill just answer you here, Ilive at Bathurst and Queens Quay, the pm was way longer but I have to go off line for a bit...don't know how that happened but I would hope people don't go reporting any bad behaviour of pit owners unless its an emerency cause Im afraid for the dogs! Any other owner will only be fined but a pit owner-well its the dog that could suffer :eek:

LoNScamp
October 2nd, 2005, 09:35 PM
Hi LoNScamp, I did pm you yesterday but it seems to have disappeared, I dont want to appear rude so Ill just answer you here, Ilive at Bathurst and Queens Quay, the pm was way longer but I have to go off line for a bit...don't know how that happened but I would hope people don't go reporting any bad behaviour of pit owners unless its an emerency cause Im afraid for the dogs! Any other owner will only be fined but a pit owner-well its the dog that could suffer :eek:

Most dogs you see off leash on the street aren't pits. My thought was that if people complained enough about bi-law infractions and demanded to know why the municipality(ies) was unwilling to enforce other bi-laws it may put a bit of pressure on AC and help force them to move away from their "pit bull" obssesion.

FYI: I can't remember if I mentioned this on this thread or not, but I have a pit in one of my classes. His owner heard whining in a garbage dumpster and found the dog and his sister in a cardboard box. The dog was about 6 months old, weighed 25 pounds and had wounds and scars all over his body. He is know 9 months old, weights 60 pounds, looks really healthy and has a really sweet temperment.

Akeeter
October 6th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Leash Free/Dog Park areas.

My worst problem is with Jack Russells. They are quick & aggressive, even with dogs 100 lb + heavier than they are. Some of their owners seem to think that it's o.k., cuz they are small dogs.

We finally got a dog park...in a Mall with a sewage lagoon :( in it...Yah-Hoo?.. :sick: Be careful what you ask for. You may get it.

pitbulliest
October 7th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know how the court case is going? Any updates? Everything has quieted down right now..which is making me nervous..what are we doing for our dogs?

Schwinn
October 7th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I don't think anything can happen until after October 28, when the law officially comes into effect. Not sure, though.

LoNScamp
October 8th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Leash Free/Dog Park areas.

My worst problem is with Jack Russells. They are quick & aggressive, even with dogs 100 lb + heavier than they are. Some of their owners seem to think that it's o.k., cuz they are small dogs.

We finally got a dog park...in a Mall with a sewage lagoon :( in it...Yah-Hoo?.. :sick: Be careful what you ask for. You may get it.

You mean Jack Russell Terrorists don't you. It amazes me the number of people who have them and don't have a clue that the can be really quite aggressive. I've seen more aggressive JRT's than I can count. Not one of my favourite breeds.