Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bad reaction to vaccines!!

nuttinfluffer
September 26th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Took Fonz & Chico in for feline shots today at the vets. Chico is doing fine, he's been quite sleepy, but he's fine. However Fonz is not. It started after we had our supper. I kept saying to the husband, somethings wrong with Fonz, he's walking funny. So far he's been walking slowly and quite unbalanced like he's drunk. His coordination is all "off" and his third eyelid is showing in one eye.

My vets office is closed and I plan on putting in a call ASAP tomorrow morning. I'm hoping that Fonz is back to his usual self when I get up tomorrow.

Keep your fingers crossed. All I know is that this will be the last time I ever get the cats vaccinated!!!

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 10:06 PM
If it's really a reaction to the vaccine, I don't think you should wait till morning...

StaceyB
September 26th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Call your vets office. Many of them have a link to a vet on call for emergencies. If they don't their should be an emergency clinic in your area. I would suggest you contact one tonight and not wait til morning. They may want you to go in tonight or they may have a solution for you over the phone but either way, I wouldn't wait.

nuttinfluffer
September 27th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Things are back to normal with Fonz today thank goodness :) I didn't sleep a wink last night worrying about the boys - but both slept all night and when it was time for breakfast, both leaped for their food bowls :)

I don't want to have to go through this again however, so I won't be subjecting either cat to vaccinations again. Yearly vet checkups - of course - but no more shots. Found out from my vet anyway that we assumed that Fonz was about 2 years old; turns out by examining his teeth that the vet knows that Fonz isn't any younger than 5 years...boy was I shocked.

Anyways, since both cats are now indoor only and have had all their shots, I figure they've had enough shots to last them a lifetime. I really hate over-vaccinating pets!

Sadie's Mom
September 27th, 2005, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't vaccinate indoor cats either. Ours are about 13 and only had their first shots. It's not worth it, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Sadie just had her first year boosters, and I'm so worried about whether I made the right choice.

StaceyB
September 27th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Glad to hear they are alright now.