Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Amazing what a puppy can ingest

mastifflover
September 26th, 2005, 03:29 PM
PLANTATION, Florida (AP) -- The veterinarian thought the X-ray was a joke.

Jon-Paul Carew has seen strange items get into the stomachs of dogs before, things like kebab skewers and small utensils. But a 13-inch serrated knife in a 6-month-old puppy?

That was a new one.

"I was just flabbergasted," said Carew, of Imperial Point Animal Hospital in Fort Lauderdale.

The knife was removed this week from Elsie, a Saint Bernard puppy. The dog's owner, Jane Scarola, wrapped it in a towel and put it in a cabinet atop the refrigerator.

"I'm going to frame it and give it to Dr. Carew," Scarola said. "He should hang it. Everybody should know what puppies are capable of putting down their throats."

She thinks one of her six other dogs -- four Saint Bernards, a German shepherd and a Labrador -- somehow got the knife off a counter and it eventually made its way to Elsie.

"She wants to eat everything and anything," Scarola said.

love my dogs
September 26th, 2005, 04:14 PM
That is definitely amazing!!!

On the same topic (but not as serious), Duke brought up something interesting this morning.

It was a 1/4 of a frisbee (1 pc. approx the size of 2 fists), along with a side dish of sticks, grass, rocks, and an acorn (yes the acorn was whole)!

It shocked me that he was not only able to get it down in one piece, but was also able to get it back up again!

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I hope that was all of it... Maybe some stuff couldn't make it back up... :eek:

love my dogs
September 26th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Prin, now you've got me worried!

We do have an ongoing problem with Duke eating toys, socks, underwear, those plastic things on bread bags, acorns (we have an acorn tree), sticks, stones and anything he can find.

Sometimes we catch him and grab it from him, sometimes we are too late, and sometimes things we didn't even know about find thier way out of him.

What are the signs to look for that your dog has ingested something dangerous, and is not able to get it out?

mastifflover
September 26th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Well a lot of different signs like not eating, not pooping. Lethargy, nausea and vomiting.

jessi76
October 5th, 2005, 09:00 AM
So, I was working (at home) last night, and my bf was on puppy-duty. Well... as I'm focused on my work, I can hear Tucker (my 6mth old pup) chewing on something - now, he has a multitude of appropriate chew toys - but I glance up just to be sure it's a toy, and what do I find????

a 13-inch serraded knife in his mouth.

Apparently my bf used that to cut some cheese to stuff a kong. why he needed a 13-inch knife to cut cheese is beyond me, but he left it on the counter, and Tucker went to the kitchen, smelled cheese on it, and grabbed it.

needless to say, my bf lost his puppy-privaleges for a while. and Tucker is fine, no cuts.