Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dog's eye is filmy

lunasnoopy
September 26th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Hi

My two year old mutt's one eye is filmy. Ok, there is a filmy spot on it. Can it be a cataract? It is so small, but in the black of her eye. otherwise she is totally healthy and doesnt look like she is blind..

We live in Syria and there are no vets here, please help!

lunasnooopy

jiorji
September 26th, 2005, 07:30 AM
gosh ...no vets ...
I hope someone here can help you out.

My guess is that if it's small it'll most likely get bigger with time, then you'd know for sure.
needs medical attention either way. Do you know any human doctors? they'd be able to tell you.

I hope it doesn't get bigger. good luck

StaceyB
September 26th, 2005, 07:39 AM
It may be a scratch but it sounds like a cataract. It will end up getting larger. If you start to notice more of them I would start to scent train your dog. This will make it easier for your dog to get around if he happens to go blind.
Pick 3 or 4 scents, oil works fine. Use each scent to represent different areas such as one for danger, top of stairs, one for bed, etc.

angie35016
September 26th, 2005, 08:15 AM
It does sound like a cataract from others I have seen. I am sorry that there are no vets around where you are. I know that makes it so much harder. This may sound strange, but you might consider putting some type of patch over the eye so that your dog dosen't have to strain so much on that eye to see. It may make the other eye stronger over time maybe getting around may not be so hard. I hope everything works out ok. My dog has been sick this weekend, my post is on here too and it is hard not to worry about them. But I hope and pray that things work out well for you.

justncase
September 26th, 2005, 04:59 PM
This has been passed along to me by two people who were in similar circumstances . Both had no access to a vet because they had lived in Third World countries. One used Vitamin E- a drop or two on the eye once or twice a day until the eye healed. Another did not have access to Vitamin E ( which would be the first choice) and used pure virgin olive oil instead. The affected eye healed in both dogs. For the olive oil, strain it again and again through very clean muslin or other fine cloth so that there are absolutely no particles in it and no residue of soap, etc .before using.