Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Porcelain Fishing. Where do you draw the line?

Puppyluv
September 25th, 2005, 11:23 PM
When do you fish a fallen object out of the toilet and keep it (and possibly use it as before)? I ask this because I swallowed my toung ring the other day, and while i have NO plans on "retrieving" it. It made me wonder when people think it's ok to go toilet bowl-fishing.

Prin
September 25th, 2005, 11:48 PM
My man will do anything (and he is just terrific for that) but for me it lies on sentimental value (and even then, it's a judge by situation kind of thing for me). If the bowl is clean, I have trouble, so I can't imagine if the bowl is... umm... dirty...

Lucky for me, I pay extra house insurance fees to have anything that goes down the drain covered... ;)

melanie
September 26th, 2005, 12:11 AM
really there sinsurance for that, wow thats not bad...

um well i would have liked to tick yuck your sick above, but i had to tick i would do it and steralise it.

i would prefer to leave things there, but seeing as i am the one who has to clean the stupid toilet, i would imagine that if i dropped say the tv remote in it i would have to get it out or it would not be so nice :D :D

but seriously, i dont think i have dropped anythign in the loo since i was a kid, i dont take much in there these days :D :angel:

but as a kid i dropped my glasses in the loo, i had to get the teacher to fish them out, oh it was embarassing and the kids teased me about it forever after that :rolleyes: so nothing has gone in the loo since, although i have had near misses in several drunken incedents, but no i have not had any drop ins in a long time.

what have you droped down the loo????

mafiaprincess
September 26th, 2005, 12:22 AM
I dropped a toothbrush in the toilet once.. water was clean.. I retrieved it to throw it out.. was afraid of it getting stuck.. and being a worse mess..

And I lost a 50 dollar curved barbell 3 times in clean toilets from an intimate place.. After the third time, I got a captive bead ring so I could stop doing that.. Each time I spent like a week washing my hands feeling unclean...
Ick..

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Took me forever to figure that one out mafiaprincess... I was like "what kind of exercises is she doing?!?!"

mafiaprincess
September 26th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Ha ha ha, Each time it happened, I was like it is a coincidence.. Didn't learn my lesson fast enough.

Still feel gross like 2 years later, hahaha.

jiorji
September 26th, 2005, 07:50 AM
my dad dropped his cell in the toilet...BEFORE he used the toilet...or so he says.... BAHAHAHAHA

Writing4Fun
September 26th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Mafiaprincess, it took me a while to figure out what you were talking about as well, but once I did, all I could think of is OUCH!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

My ex-BIL dropped his pager in the toilet once and flushed it down. They had to take apart the pipes to retrieve it. He blamed it on their son. :evil:

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I know eh? Is it fun at least? I couldn't imagine... the agony... :eek:

shannonRN
September 26th, 2005, 01:31 PM
If it goes in there, it's coming back out. Whether I use it again or not is a different story, but in general I'm not much of a princess about this sort of thing. We handle and consume fecal bacteria on a constant basis, just not so obviously and blatantly as when we reach directly into the john. If it were a toothbrush, no, I wouldn't use it. But my glasses or something like that--wash and wear.

I had a patient drop his dentures into the toilet once, and not only did he continue to use them, but he popped them right back into his mouth before I could help him, without so much as a rinse :eek:

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 01:34 PM
You know what they say... Better the toilet than the kitchen sink!

Writing4Fun
September 26th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Did anyone else see that episode of Myth Busters where they challenged the idea of fecal bacteria being found on toothbrushes just because they're in the same room as the loo? Well, they ran all sorts of experiments, and guess what ... they found the same amounts of fecal matter on the toothbrushes in the bathroom as they did on the toothbrushes they had set-up in the kitchen! Turns out those little suckers can travel. The moral of the story is ... you're not as clean as you think you are. :evil: :p

melanie
September 26th, 2005, 05:36 PM
oh tooth brushes ,boy am i paraniod, even my 11yo nephew said so recently. since i was a kid i have never ever kept my toothbrush in a public place like the bathroom nope not this duck. i keep it in a special container hidden in my bedside dresser, not kidding. even when i lived alone i did this out of fear a visitor might touch it, true story ppl.

and i heard once that the atmospheric particles from a flushed toilet carry fresh bacteria and can distribute up to 5m distance so i stay outta that zone.

yep and i still do it now, hubby would never ever dream of going near it, he knows i would kill him ,its a big offence to me.

yeppers on the highly paranoid tooth cleaner. no one, and i mean no one knows what my tooth brush looks like and only hubby knows where it is kept, nuh its like my huge state secret and defence against the attack of terrorist germs.....

it freaks me out when visitors go and plonk their toothbrush in that awful little caddy in the bathroom, it certainly makes me wonder about them for sure.....

and i will do it forever, i could never talk myself into anything else... yes im very very very paranoid :D :D

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 08:39 PM
LOL Mel- I used to do the same thing. I brought it into my bedroom. I had three men in the house, and it's a guy thing to dunk your toothbrush in the bowl when they're pissed. :evil: I trust my man a little more than that, but still we each have our own cupboards in the bathroom... :D

glasslass
September 27th, 2005, 12:20 AM
In ceramics class I removed my wedding ring and put it in my jeans pocket. I used the public restroom without thinking and it fell out of my pocket right into the toilet bowl. I was not going to leave it there or flush - No way! Yeah, I dived for it and scrubbed my hands, and the ring, well afterwards. I can't believe anyone would have done differently.

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Depends how long you've been married... :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 29th, 2005, 09:12 PM
One of our toilets was badly clogged in one of our bathrooms, we finally got the plumber in, he found a nice little collection of hotwheels cars stuck down there. Needless to say we disposed of those ones pretty quick. :)

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 09:41 PM
My friend, Jake used to store his old toys down the toilet (when we were 4) because he figured out that his parents would throw them away and get him new ones. :evil:

BeagleMum
September 30th, 2005, 02:48 PM
My answer really wasn't there. There should be an option for "It depends on how much you have had to drink"

This is sick but:

One night I was at the bar and had my share of liquor for the night (I was 18 then) and I had to go to the washroom as you seem to have to do every 5 minutes when you have been drinking. So, I walk into the stall and there in the toilet was a quarter that I was missing from my collection (The ones for the provinces in Canada that came out a few years ago). So, I just reached in and grabbed it then continued on with my business.

When I came out, I gave it to my friend and said "Hey, look what I found" she wasn't too impressed when I told her where I got it.

Yup, that was the one and only time that I have ever stuck my hand in a toilet.

Puppyluv
September 30th, 2005, 02:51 PM
LMAO Grover4 that's hillarious!!!! :D

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 08:25 PM
LOL Too bad those quarters are not as rare as they originally advertised them... :p

Anybody read "Henry Sugar" by Roald Dahl? He's a rich guy who is bored so he puts money in a public toilet to see who would take it out and what the minimum amount was. The magic amount that people went in without hesitating was 50 pounds... We now know Grover'll do it for a quarter... :D

Puppyluv
September 30th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Anybody read "Henry Sugar" by Roald Dahl? He's a rich guy who is bored so he puts money in a public toilet to see who would take it out and what the minimum amount was. The magic amount that people went in without hesitating was 50 pounds... We now know Grover'll do it for a quarter... :D
I loved Henry Sugar! And the other stories in that book!! Oh I'm so happy my parents are moving right now, because all of my old books keep popping up, and I'll get to re-read them all.

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 08:42 PM
I don't remember them too much (I have the book though...) but I remember liking the one about the sea turtle. :)

Puppyluv
September 30th, 2005, 08:47 PM
there was also one about a pickpocketing hitchhiker, a trasure found by a farmer (true story), a swan, the first story he ever wrote and the story of how Roald Dahl became an author.

CyberKitten
September 30th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I still have my Nancy Drew collection - how bad is that!!

I would not put my hand in a public toilet for anything. I have 2 stories tho. A friend - when were kids - was a miserly type, would do anything for a buck OR a quater. :D Anyway, we stopped one nite on the way home from a camping trip with our parents and this decrepit PUBLIC washroom. There was a dime in the toilet and he went for it, sighh!!

A young patient - who I might not have believed were it not for the fact he became ill with an infection - lost a very expensive anti cancer medication in the toilet. (a public one, not sure why he was taking it in there!) He needed it so he put on gloves and took it out and then actually swallowed it!! He was supposedly quite intelligent - he did fight the infection, which may or may not have been associated with that incident and lived to tell the tale but he continues to be a risk taker (is now taking flying lessons and promises to fly me and my bf to the World Series if the Red Sox make it).

Anyway - I MIGHT reach for soemthing at home - but I'd have latax gloves on.

Puppyluv
September 30th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Anyway - I MIGHT reach for soemthing at home - but I'd have latax gloves on.
I wear those for everything! The one advantage of all my labs is that I always have about 100 pairs of them lying around. For some reason when I have a layer of latex on my hands, I think I can touch anything :rolleyes:

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Latax? Is that like rubber tampons? What good would they do!? (Am I allowed to say that?)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 30th, 2005, 10:21 PM
rubber tampon, rubber tampon, rubber tampon. There! now I will be in trouble with you.

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Think of this as the end of Thelma and Louise: :highfive: