Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fence ideas?

hemsmedic2001
September 25th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

Short time reader first time poster here! I have a question regarding fencing so here goes. My fiance and I just got a wee pug by the name of Bailey, she's 12 weeks old now and of course we want her to be able to go outside so she can go do her business/we can play with her etc. However we're in a new subdivision and we haven't erected fences as of yet (proabably won't happen until the new year). Anyways the problem is that whenever she sees a tractor/person/dog/bug she starts hightailing it and we chase after her, I'm worried that one day she might get too quick and run out into the construction zone or street and get injured or worst!! Does anybody have a suggestion for a safe way to keep our dog in the yard (we're kind of wary of the electronic hidden fences)?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

One Paranoid Dad,
hemsmedic2001

mona_b
September 25th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Welcome aboard...... :)

The only thing I can suggest is you make sure when you take her out,you have a leash on her at all times.This way when she gets frightened,she has no chance of taking off on you or your fiance.

Have you started her on basic commands?

Like "sit" "stay"

Also,what you can purchase is an Xpen....This can be set up in the back and she can have freedom to run,but not take off......... :)

the gang
September 25th, 2005, 10:08 PM
for the time before the fench you can put up a snow fench it is cheap and you can get it anywhere i have 3 min pins and we put that up so are little ones were safe busy street in front, it should work fine till you get your new one i also put tent pegs in bottom of it better safe than sorry, hope this helps good luck. :D

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Are you wanting a temporary fence or just one to get you by until you get your permanent.
Depending on how much yard you need to fence you could purchase several x-pens, attach them together and get poles to hold them in place. They are around 100.00 each. They come in different heights but I would go for the 4 ft ones. They consist of 8, 2 ft pannels and each 4 ft high. Each x-pen has a door. The reason why I mention this is because once your permanent fence is in you can use the pens anywhere. You could set them up in the house, the front yard or even bring one with you when you travel.

hemsmedic2001
September 25th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Hiya Mona,

Thanks for the welcome, we have started her with the sit and stay, I guess we need some more work with that ;) but she is coming along. Thanks for the idea of the leash and do you have a website I could find the xpen @!!

TY Again,
hemsmedic2001

hemsmedic2001
September 25th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Hiya Stacey,

We were thinking of something to hold us until we put up the permanent fence....this Xpen sounds like it's quite popular, I feel bad having to contain her a bit but @ the same time I wouldn't forgive myself if she got hurt, are the Xpen's really open in design.....i.e. pretty well seethrough?? Sorry I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm so new @ this hehehe!!

TY,
hemsmedic2001

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 10:27 PM
They are metal grid like. Go to any pet supply site and you should be able to find a pic of one.

hemsmedic2001
September 25th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Thanks to everyone,

You've been entirely helpful and I appreciate it immensely :) hope you all have a great night!!

Sincerely,
hemsmedic2001

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 10:43 PM
One last thing, it would be a very good idea to get your puppy enrolled in classes. Even if you know how to teach the basic cues, your puppy will get so much more out of them that you just can't duplicate at home.

LL1
September 25th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Group classes is a great idea.

huskypup
September 26th, 2005, 01:04 AM
We have no problems with the huskies escaping over fences, this morning they opened the front door, we have just spent 90 mins looking for them, both eventually came home on there own accord, Lucca was lying on his bed when I got back, he had reopned the front door and let himself in and Mia was just bimbling back down the street. Any suggestions for that one - apart from keep the front door locked.

I know have to bath them both before I head off to work, as they have rolled in something and they smell horrible. They can also open child locks on cupboard doors and Mia opens the dishwasher door - to stand on so she can look out of the kitchen window.

mona_b
September 26th, 2005, 06:26 AM
I did a quick search for you... :)

http://www.showpaps.com/Xpen.html