Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pup is eating his own poop!

fishndukee
September 25th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I don't know how to stop this. I pick it up as soon as he goes but he still finds a way to eat it. Is he missing something in his diet or does it just taste good? He has plenty of food in his dish but will eat the poop instead. Please help!! Any thoughts would be helpful. :yuck:

Prin
September 25th, 2005, 10:40 PM
If he is not fully digesting his food, his stool can come out smelling very proteiny (i.e. tasty) and since he's not getting the protein that he is pooping out, he's probably just trying to fix a deficiency...

They say charcoal cookies help (you get them at any dog food store), or there also is a liquid you can put in the food that combines with stomach acid to taste horrid.

What food are you feeding? From people I have talked to about this, foods with a lot of corn seem to cause the most trouble...

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Even though this is a very disgusting habit it is quite common and not going to cause your puppy any health problems as long as it is his own and not someone elses. The easiest way to keep him from doing this is to pick up after him every time.

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 10:46 PM
The product name is deter or atleast one of them.

Puppyluv
September 25th, 2005, 11:45 PM
They say charcoal cookies help (you get them at any dog food store), or there also is a liquid you can put in the food that combines with stomach acid to taste horrid.

Do these make the dogs constipated? As someone who was blessed with the "I'm stupid when I'm drunk gene" I've had the opportunity to drink a charcoal cocktail a couple of times, and well, to say the least, it's not too friendly to the gi tract. Does it do the same to dogs?

Sneaky
September 26th, 2005, 12:26 AM
I have fed my chi charcoal cookies before, and yes, if you feed a large amount of them they will make the dog constipated.
They should only be fed occassionaly, and make sure the dog drinks lots of water.

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Everything in moderation, right? :o

TobsterMom
September 26th, 2005, 07:45 AM
It's called coprophagia. It's pretty common, and most puppies grow out of it. Make sure you're feeding your dog a nutritious food. If that doesn't work, you can buy a product called Forbid, it comes in packages of powder that you sprinkle on their food. It has no taste or smell, but it makes their feces less desirable...go figure :yuck: You can pick it up at your vet and it's fairly inexpensive.

Here's a helpful article.
http://www.perfectpaws.com/copro.html