Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs not eating, please advise

deluccs
September 25th, 2005, 08:22 PM
I have 2 American Eskimo Minis, both female and 1 year old. Last week, I noticed one of them was loosing her hair , not eating very much and not gaining weight like the other one. I took her to the vet who did blood work, check her stool, temperature, and her mouth. All he could find was she had a red throat and gave me antibiotics for her and changed her diet to Eukanuba FP only. Well, I did everything he instructed me to do. Neither dog would eat the can food so I started them on the dry food, the suggestion was from the vet after I called him back with the problem. Now they will only eat a few of the bits of dogfood if I hand feed them. I was trying out different varieties of dog food before then, thinking they were only finicky and would eat when they were hungry. They rarely get people food , I did noticed a neighbor had given them scraps one day. Now both are barely eating at all and this started about 3 weeks ago. I do not know what to do now.

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Are you free feeding and how much exactly are they eating and drinking in a day? Have you spoke to your neighbour about feeding your dogs? You mentioned one time they did this but are you sure that they are not doing it more regularly. Also, frequent changes in food can produce picky pups.