Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat's Eye

Poe
September 25th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I was wondering if I should be worried about the occasional mucus build up in one of my cat's eyes--it will be just slightly swollen or have a bit of scum on the cornea. It never seems to last more than a day, and it's never accompanied by redness or anything that looks infected, but it always seems to be the same eye. Is this a common thing in cats? I've noticed that he likes to rub his toys against that side of his face when he's made a particularly satisfying pounce--maybe it's just the side that's prone to more irritation because of his hunting?

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 08:07 PM
What color is the mucus?

Poe
September 27th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Hey! Someone replied! I probably shouldn't have named this thread after a Margaret Atwood novel...

The mucus is clear. The day I posted there was a glob of it that looked like the cornea had been ripped, but by the evening it was gone. It often starts to look infected, with swelling, and he keeps it closed, but then it goes away before I get worried enough to take him to the vet. So I was wondering if some cats just had leaky types of eyes, or if it was the sign of a prolonged infection that he was just barely fighting off.

Anyway, I don't know if it's something to worry about, so I've decided just to keep an eye on it for now and hope it doesn't progress.

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Only one eye, eh? I think it might be related to a behavior, as you suggested before about the rubbing when she hunts. I would just keep an eye on it. (sorry for the pun.. :o )

(BTW, sometimes you get no answer, IMO, because people aren't sure and hope somebody else has the answer... Now that it's bumped back up, maybe more people will see it again... :fingerscr )

Lucky Rescue
September 28th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Cats rub their heads against objects because they have scent glands on their heads and they use it to "mark" territory and objects.

Don't wait and see. You should definitely take your cat to the vet now, have the eye checked for infection or abnormalities and get appropriate medication.

What you are describing is NOT normal, any more than it would be if your eye were doing this.

chico2
September 28th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I agree with Lucky,do not wait,take him to the vet,it could probably be fixed with eyedrops,but it could also be from an infected tooth,like one of my cats, something a bit more serious.
If a cat is rubbing his eye more than just regular cleaning,it means he's uncomfortable.Good Luck!

Poe
September 30th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the advice. He looks so healthy right now I would almost feel embarrassed about bringing him to the vet, but I'll either bring him in if he shows symptoms again or bring it up during his next checkup. The tooth is a possibility--I never thought of that. Thanks.