Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy is sick, please help!!

angie35016
September 25th, 2005, 07:50 PM
I have a 9 month old cocker/daushaund mix puppy, female. Her name is Belle. She is fixed and up to date on her shots. Yesterday she had vomiting/diarrhea. It had a red tinge to it. She has eaten grass, which I know is normal for animals to do when they are sick. She passed the grass both directions. Last pm, she did drink water and ate a little. Her nose is cold. She slept alot yesterday and last night, but still has diarrhea today. She has not eaten anything, but has drank water x 2. She will go and smell her food but not eat. I am not sure what I should do. She will wag her tail and play a little with our cats then stop and rest. We do not have any emergency vets in our area. Can anyone give me any advice? She has never been sick before and just not sure what I should do. Any advice is greatly appreciated. We do not have children and our pets are our babies.

Prin
September 25th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Normally, I would stop the food for 24 hours, and see, but since there could be blood in the stool, I would just get to the vet ASAP, even if that means tomorrow morning. Make sure she keeps drinking.

angie35016
September 26th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Belle is much better today. She ate breakfast and still continues to drink water. She was playing with the cats today too, eventhough, I am sure they haven't missed it. When she went to the bathroom this AM, her poop was more normal and no blood like before. My husband works night shift and I told him she was better this AM. He then proceed to tell me that when he cooked ribs on the grill on Friday, that Belle ate a rib and chewed on one of the bones. After all that worry and cleaning up after her and praying about her, he then proceeds to tell me this. So I am thinking that a bone might have scratched her intestinal tract and caused the bleeding. I would have killed my husband this morning if I wasn't a sin!! Plus he works for our local police department so I know they would all stick together...lol. Anyway, I am so thankful that Belle is better today. She seems back to her old self. Thanks to all of you that read my post and maybe sent up a little prayer for her. It means alot to me!! Hope each of you have a great day and all your pets are happy and healthy!!

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I'm glad she's better, but keep an eye out still.

And I find it funny, no, a tad disturbing, that you have "it" all planned out... :evil: :D

Trinitie
September 26th, 2005, 03:23 PM
It's good news that Belle is feeling better. Do keep an eye on her bowel movements for a while, though, just in case she's only a "little" better.

Call the vet to be safe, and let him know what happened. He may give you more advice on what to watch for. You can also check the ears and pads on the feet for fever (not just the nose). The warmth comes through the ears and feet very easily.

Please keep us updated on how she's doing.

By the way, we do LOVE pictures!