Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Barking at a bone

TracyG
September 25th, 2005, 06:59 PM
:confused: I had a rawhide bone for my puppy (14 weeks) which she LOVED. After hearing the horror stories of rawhide, I went out and bought a real bone for her to chew on. This was something the instructor of our puppy class also suggested. I gave it to Indy and after about 30 seconds...she started barking at it! This dog rarely barks! We had 15 people over yesterday and not a peep! But she's frantically barking at this bone! Is this a fear thing?? I tried putting peanut butter in the hollow part....still barked! So, I took it away and gave her another of her toys and she settled down immediately. I really don't think she was barking to get my attention as the only other times I have heard her bark are for the "giggle ball" (seems to freak her out) and at a wine bottle holder (go figure!). So, was I wrong to take it away? Are some dogs afraid of bones?? Any ideas? Or is my dog just a freak! ;)

love my dogs
September 25th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Maybe she's a vegetarian dog!

TracyG
September 25th, 2005, 07:23 PM
She does love to eat grass!! You might be on to something! :) I always joke about her eating a "salad" when we are outside!

love my dogs
September 25th, 2005, 07:32 PM
LOL...but seriously, it is normal for pups to be freaked out, or scared of silly things.

If that is the problem, then I think you should just leave the bone there for a while, and calmly tell your pup "it's o.k., see....it's a nice bone" in a really happy voice.

It's not a good idea to force your dog to go near the bone though. Just go over to the bone yourself, then back to the pup....always using happy voice.

Maybe sprinkle some kibble around the bone as you walk by. Then just let it sit there for a while.

TracyG
September 25th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Ok! I'll try that! I Just thought it was so bizarre that my dog was afraid of a bone! That's like a human being scared of chocolate! It just doesn't make sense! ;)

TobsterMom
September 25th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Alot of full grown dogs bark at silly things too. Toby barks at his water dish if it's too close to his food dish, he hates the noise it makes when they clink together. He also barks at his reflection in the window, and the patio umbrella when it blows in the wind. Oh yes, and the plastic snowman in the garage.

I'd like to hear the weird things about other peoples pets....just so I know my pet isn't the weirdest :o

TracyG
September 25th, 2005, 07:58 PM
My pup is a golden too....so maybe it's just them! So far, as I said, the weirdest was the little wire wine bottle holder that you can use to "gift wrap" a bottle of wine. She FREAKED OUT at that! Vacuum? No problem! Giggle ball? Step back!

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Many puppies can get a little freaked out about new things that they see, hear or smell. If your puppy trusts you then I would play with this bone on your own with the pup near by. Your puppy will probably get a little curious and come to check it out. Don't force it on your puppy. Once your pup starts to go near it on his own bring it out with one of his favourite treats inside at a time when he is hungry. This may just do it.
If you want to use rawhide it is fine as long as your puppy does not eat it. Make sure it is the right size, supervise the use and only let your puppy chew on each one for no more than 20 minutes at a time. Buy the multi packs so you can let your pup chew for an hour, just not on the same bone.

TracyG
September 25th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I took the bone and put it in the basket with her other toys. I was going to try just what you suggested...taking it out every now and then to see if she changes her mind. If she does? Great! If not...oh well! That's good to know about the rawhide though because she really loves it and I hate to take it away from her! She happily chews on it for a good 20 minutes. I never leave it with her when we aer gone though. Only when we are watching her. What's the reasoning behind only allowing her to have it for 20 minutes at a time??

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 08:53 PM
If the bone is the right size for your dog, it is less likely that your puppy will begin to take pieces off in the 20 minutes. There are always exceptions and if your pup is one who is a very heavy chewer and starts to take the bone apart in less time then don't use them. The puppy should not be able to put their mouth over the whole end of the bone. They should only be able to chew on part of it.
If you have a heavy chewer even if it is a smaller breed go for the larger bones. For example JRTs should have big dog toys and bones.

LoNScamp
September 26th, 2005, 09:10 PM
My personal opinon regarding raw hide is that it is something that shouldn't be given to dogs, for a variety of reasons including the chemicals used to process it, when it softens it adheres to their teeth which isn't good and some dogs chew off pieces of it swallow them, choke them back up and start all over again you until you take the piece away from them. Dogs will also vomit bile after chewing on it for a couple of days.

StaceyB
September 26th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Peroxide is used in the processing of rawhide. If you are prepared to supervise your dog with it to ensure they are not swallowing pieces it is fine to use. As for it getting stuck to their teeth, it is not likely to happen if their time with an appropriate size bone is limited to an amount of time that the outer layer is just beginning to get semi soft and then removed and put away until the bone hardens. Repair bone after each use and during if necessary. Remove any pieces that can easily be torn off.
A dogs teeth should be brushed several times a week to keep them free of debree. Chew flips should never be used. It is too easy for a dog to swallow the flip whole.
Cow hoofs are also great for the moderate chewer. They come in several sizes but with anything that has the potential to come apart should be supervised at all times.
For heavy chewers go for sterilized bones and the hard white nylabones. With these dogs always choose the largest bones.

love my dogs
September 26th, 2005, 09:38 PM
My border collie X and my pitbull both go nuts over:

1) reflections in the window

2) dogs on TV

3) The vaccuum cleaner

StaceyB
September 26th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Make these things a very regular sight or sound in their lives and don't respond when they react. Make them available several times a day. They will begin to lose interest in them.
You may want to separate them and do this individually so they don't work off each other.