Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy eating too fast

BeagleMum
September 25th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Sydney (8.5 week old beagle) eats really fast. She is currently on soft food recommended by the vet and she inhales it. I have tried to just give her little pieces at a time but she just gets distracted and runs over to eat the other dog's food instead. Toady, I tried to cut it into larger pieces thinking that she would have to actually chew it and she ate her whole bown in about 8 seconds flat.

How can I get her to slow down? By watching her, you would think that we never feed her and she actualy gets 3 meals a day.

Please help.

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 11:49 AM
What kind of soft food are you using and is there a reason why the vet has suggested this over kibble?

You can stuff a kong with the food, it needs to be the right size. When you are picking one up make sure that your puppy would not be able to put her mouth over the largest end.
When you go to kibble or atleast solid pieces you can place a sterilized rock or heavy object in the bowl with the food. She will have to move it around to eat which will slow her down.

Prin
September 25th, 2005, 12:04 PM
My doggies lie down to eat when they eat slowly... I dont know if that's good for them but they do it naturally. For wolfing, they stay standing... Maybe if the little one lies down? We stop Jemma a few times while she's eating so she can breathe... Otherwise, we used to spread out the food for my old lab but after a while, it didn't work...

BeagleMum
September 25th, 2005, 03:27 PM
She is temporarily on a gastro food because she had the runs when we went to the vet. We have to go back tomorrow so I assume that kibble will be ok now. She actually won't have any soft food left after today but I am afraid that she will try to eat like this with her kibble and choke herself.

TobsterMom
September 25th, 2005, 03:46 PM
We used to hand feed our puppy half his kibble, then the other half he'd eat out of his dish. My vet told me to do this, and it really worked.

BeagleMum
September 25th, 2005, 04:21 PM
We used to hand feed our puppy half his kibble, then the other half he'd eat out of his dish. My vet told me to do this, and it really worked.

I thought of that but it's a little hard to hand feed mush. I tried spooning a bit onto the floor but as soon as she realized where it comes from, she fights to get right into the bowl.

LoNScamp
September 25th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Try putting it in a kong and she can amuse herself trying to get it out. You can also try feeding it to her from teaspoon. I've done with all three of mine.

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 04:47 PM
You have to be careful with your choices because you may cause more problems than you started with. Though hand feeding may get the job done it may create a puppy who won't eat unless it is given by hand. Do you really want to do this forever?

TobsterMom
September 25th, 2005, 06:16 PM
I didn't have to do it forever. Just gradually fed him less and less by hand, until he could learn to slow down. It also helps with food agression. Oh, and Grover, I wouldn't recommend doing it with her wet food :yuck:, just when she goes back to kibble.