Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clogged Overflowing Toilets

raingirl
September 24th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I was wondering if anyone else here has as much a fear as I do of a toilet overflowing!! I am SO paranoid about it. At work our toilets SUCK and I'm always afraid they will clog and go EVERYWHERE!

In case anyone does have a fear, I just wanted to pass on a nice peice of info I once learned. Toilets are designed to hold 2 flushes, the one that is in there, and the one incoming (when you flush) so as long as you only flush ONCE (and don't frantically keep trying to flush by pushing the handle over and over) a toilet will never overflow...that is unless it's broken and keeps running and running.

Still....nice to know if you just wait for it to stop flushing, and if you don't hit flush again, it won't overflow!

Writing4Fun
September 24th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Here's another toilet tip for you...

If you're plunging a toilet and you're not sure if the clog is cleared yet, rather than flushing and risking a flood, you can just pour a bucket of water in there. If the clog is cleared, it'll flow like normal. If it's still clogged, you have control over how much water gets into the bowl.

Prin
September 25th, 2005, 01:02 AM
In case anyone does have a fear, I just wanted to pass on a nice peice of info I once learned. Toilets are designed to hold 2 flushes, the one that is in there, and the one incoming (when you flush) so as long as you only flush ONCE (and don't frantically keep trying to flush by pushing the handle over and over) a toilet will never overflow...that is unless it's broken and keeps running and running.
Sorry to burst your safety bubble, but that's not so true. It might be true if you get there and the water is lower in the bowl than it is supposed to be, then if you flush once more, you're screwed.

But if the toilet is designed badly, you can get overflowing on a half a single flush. That's what I found out in this house... TWICE. For NO REASON. (My man was right there too-- There goes the romance forever, right?) It clogs right below what you see, so basically, you flush, and before anything actually flushes, it clogs and then the whole tank empties into the already full bowl. So, ya, now, I watch it flush every time. :o We need a new toilet. (I still say we need a frustrated smilie... He'd go here... Here's this one: http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/7.gif Pretty much sums it up for me..)

Beaglemom
September 26th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone else here has as much a fear as I do of a toilet overflowing!! I am SO paranoid about it. At work our toilets SUCK and I'm always afraid they will clog and go EVERYWHERE!
I'm extremely paranoid of this as well, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one. Mainly because our old toilet at work also overflowed constantly! We finally got a new one and it worked great for the first couple of years, then a few weeks ago, it happened! I was the only one who would plunge the darn thing and I wasn't even the one who had used it! Not pleasant!

I watch it flush every time.
I thought I was the only one! It is due to my paranoia!

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 03:50 PM
With this bowl, if you flush down too much toilet paper (i.e. don't blow your nose on the bowl), then it will overflow. Since moving here, I watch... with angst...