Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Atrocious spelling, grammar, etc. A mini rant

Puppyluv
September 24th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Uggh. Ok I know that other people have brought up similar topics, but it seems like it's getting worse these days. The spelling on this forum (and many others) is absolutely atrocious!!! As is the grammar. Now, I'm not saying mine is perfect, or that anyone else's should be. But really, it is frustrating to read posts, where it's just a page of misspelled words. :mad:
Ok all done

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 24th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Well mi speling is jst fin, i tak car too be suer it is dun rite. Peeple shud reely be mor carful wen they post on this forem. ;)

Prin
September 24th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Uggh. Ok I know that other people have brought up similar topics, but it seems like it's getting worse these days. The spelling on this forum (and many others) is absolutely atrocious!!! As is the grammar. Now, I'm not saying mine is perfect, or that anyone else's should be. But really, it is frustrating to read posts, where it's just a page of misspelled words. :mad:
Ok all done
There. I pointed out the mistakes I found in your post.... :D

Puppyluv
September 24th, 2005, 03:27 PM
:o How embarrassing

See, I said I wasn't perfect.

Writing4Fun
September 24th, 2005, 03:29 PM
LOL! Yeah, we've touched on this topic before. The occasional spelling or grammatical error doesn't drive me 'round the bend (anymore ;) ). It's posts that look like Joey's up there that give me a headache. Also, the folks who use chat room abbreviations for every other word so that you feel like you're decoding a secret message. :rolleyes: Maybe I'm just getting old...

Prin
September 24th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I know what you mean though. As long as there is a little bit of effort, I'm happy enough...

Puppyluv
September 24th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Exactly! I just feel like I've been reading posts lately where every other word is completely misspelled. That, or silly things like every word being capitalized.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 24th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Speaking of decoding can someone please tell me what LOL means.

Prin
September 24th, 2005, 04:01 PM
The "every word is capitalized" thing is as a result of the poster posting in all caps. If you have some lowercase, it doesn't do it, but if it is a series of all caps without any lowercase, it converts it...

Prin
September 24th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Speaking of decoding can someone please tell me what LOL means.
Go here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18929

Puppyluv
September 24th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Oh, I'm glad it converts all-caps to just the first letter. :thumbs up

LOL I still remember when I first started posting here, and everyone was talking about BYB's and I, being the naive restaurant-goer in Montreal, thought everyone was complaining about BYO's (bring your own wine, alcohol etc restaurants)

Prin
September 24th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Lol They're Byobs. Hee Hee... It's Apparently Very Hard To Get A Liquor License In Montreal These Days.

THERE I did it all in caps (above), BUT with LOWERCASE MIXED IN, THEY DON'T CONVERT. SEE? (I WAS JUST TESTING IT OUT.) If you mix in smilies, they probably read them as lowercase...

chico2
September 24th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Oh,Oh...I have an excuse,first I am 61yrs old and often get what hubby calls"brain-farts"(am I allowed to say that?)secondly English is not what I was born to speak :D Swedish was.I do not really care if people misspell words,as long as I understand.
However,sometimes I will not even bother reading a post all in capital letters,written like one loooong sentence,without paragraphs or commas.
My English-teacher would cringe :D

raingirl
September 24th, 2005, 05:12 PM
You know what I think is funny? I wasn't taught grammer in school. I'm serious! At least I don't remember being taught it. I remember learning french grammer, but not english.

I spend all day typing reports and worrying about spelling and grammer...so I tend to slack off here. Sorry.

Puppyluv
September 24th, 2005, 05:16 PM
You know what I think is funny? I wasn't taught grammer in school. I'm serious! At least I don't remember being taught it. I remember learning french grammer, but not english.

Me too!!! We spent hours and hours learning proper french grammar, but never touched english grammar. It's because I changed schools every 2 years, and each school had either taught grammar to the year younger than I was in, or was going to teach grammar to the year older than when I left again.

chico2
September 24th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Well,I had 6 years of English grammar,4 years German and 3 years French and it all went out with the bathwater :D

Cinnabear
September 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Well I'm one that is not great on grammar. Spelling is alot better, but sometimes just can't remember how to spell a word.

So are you trying to drive away more people from the forums? :p

In the grand scheme of posts does it really matter how the grammar is or the spelling?

If it's bad I just skip and go on to the next post.

Puppyluv
September 24th, 2005, 05:59 PM
LOL cinnabear- that's right, everyone stop wasting my time with your horrible english!!!! (100% kidding)
In the grand scheme of things this is like a broken shoelace. No big deal whatsover. I just made this post after reading one of the most frustrating threads I've ever seen, and needed to vent

love my dogs
September 24th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Prin I'm so glad you posted that link! I've seen "BTW" used in so many posts and had no idea what it meant until now. :D

I don't know how people can remember all those codes!

LOL...YGLT, AAMOF IMO it's NBD unless the OP is OT and FUBAR. WRT spelling, WYSIWYG. Well, that's all, so BFN! :confused:

melanie
September 24th, 2005, 06:35 PM
hey i consider it an art form :D :angel:

i could not give a dam for my spelling or writing, hey if i think you can get the jist of it i dont care really, and alot of the time i write how i speak...

also i tend to type too fast and often get the letters mixed up, but again its an art form and im too busy and dont care enough to stop and fix em all.

and this is carried over into life, not jsut on the net. you should see waht i do with latin species names, i jsut dotn think its important............. :angel:

StaceyB
September 24th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I hate making spelling mistakes and if I catch one after I post I will go back and fix it.

Prin
September 25th, 2005, 02:11 AM
I'm with you Stacey. I edit even really old posts of mine if I come across them and there's a spelling mistake.

I think most relatively young people (basically, the generation who didn't get "the belt" in school, or didn't have priests as teachers...) would say they didn't have any grammar. But the truth is, I love grammar and I was very attentive in class, and we were taught tons. We were given exercises like crazy, but nobody took them seriously and there weren't any follow-up exams, so it was basically a "learn it if you want to" situation.

And, no, I don't want people to be deterred from this site because there are anal grammar and spelling people, but I would like them to know we're here... Watching... Closely.... (and possibly cringing...)

Rick C
September 25th, 2005, 09:45 AM

I spend all day typing reports and worrying about spelling and grammer...so I tend to slack off here. Sorry.

Grammar was dodged in favour of some new fangled English program when I was in school as well.

I have only a vague idea of what a pronoun or adverb might be . . . . . yet I was a journalist at one point in the distant past and enjoy writing for our hockey website and Abby & Keeper's site.

Any writing ability I have is something that flows from the mind and out the fingers onto the keyboard, without a formal instruction manual to guide it.

In the end, it's all about being able to communicate a thought visually. If you can't communicate your thoughts and ideas, if people can't understand what you're trying to say, then it can become limiting in your life.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Byrd
September 25th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Hey, I type for a living! LOL I am a transcriptionist, so imagine how I feel. There is one person I've noticed in particular that is really bad, but I won't name names. I tell ya, when that person posts, I do not read it.

Also, I have a bad habit of reading over posts before hitting the submit button.

love my dogs
September 25th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I remember both grammer and spelling being a big part of English class, yet I still am unsure of both in many situations.

Luckily there is such a thing as spell check, (though not on this forum).

As far as grammer goes though,....well I don't know where to refer to for proper sentence structure and use of "" and ' and ? and ( ) and ;, oh yeah and :

I agree that it is frustrating to read a post that is full of mistakes, but I don't think people who can't spell are doing it on purpose, and let's face it......we all make mistakes sometimes.

Prin
September 25th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Yes, we do all make mistakes, but just remember, people are trying to read what you are posting. If it is FULL of typos and you're too lazy to correct them, we might be too lazy to read through them, and then what is the point of posting at all?

(BTW, I suggest not even trying to use the semi-colon (;) if you don't know how. Even people who claim to know how to use it can't use it properly...)

Puppyluv
September 25th, 2005, 01:08 PM
(BTW, I suggest not even trying to use the semi-colon (;) if you don't know how. Even people who claim to know how to use it can't use it properly...)

Prin; I don't even know what you're talking about; the semi-colon is sooo easy to use properly; :D

CyberKitten
September 25th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Oh my!! My sister once suggested to me I hesitate before correcting people's grammar because one day I might be hit with a punch for my less than welcome advice. And besides, my typing is atrocious - but I never took that course out of spite after a Vice Principal suggested I might want to take it in grade 12. I wanted to take mostly sciences and did not even need that many credits to graduate but still took a full course load. (I could not imagine what I would have done in study period except read books, lol)

I highly recommend Mastering Effective English, an oldie but goodie! The Elements of Style - 1918 version is online at http://www.bartleby.com/141/ is also good.

My own excuse for errors is my speed typing tho I have to admit I make some of the more common abbreviations like ppl and btw that have crept into online communication. I cringe at such common errors as

- good versus well - as in "you write well" (Never good). One could write "You are a good writer". Good is an adjective, well an adverb.
- Or the inappropriate use of adverbs - eg "My dog was hurt bad" - should be badly.
- Starting a sentence with As, one NEVER begins a sentence with a preposition.
- my all time cringe word, the use of its and it's . "It's" is short for "It is" Its must be written in just that way as in "The cat licked its fur". I made that mistake once in university - not an English class either - and a professor made a major point of it. I NEVER made it again tho I see it often here, in newspapers and by my own students.

I think this entire move to online communication may be partly to blame though there are different ways of teaching grammar in school and at least where I come from, most of us attend elementary school in French and begin English grammar in grade four. Fortunately, my mom was a teacher, lol

But I still make too many typos, sighhh!! One of these days, I will take a typing course, heheh :)

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 01:35 PM
What is happening in schools is driving me crazy. They are not teaching kids to spell or do math by themselves. They allow them to use computers and calculators to correct everything so they never really learn it. When I was in school we were not allowed to use such tools so if they were not available no big deal but it seems that the kids these days are lost without them.
My kids are 9 and 11 years and I don't allow them to use anything but their own mind to do these things at home.
I remember having to correct spelling and math mistakes and I would also have to show all the work so it was next to impossible to use calculators to do the work. Hand writing is another one. We had to make the letters a certain size, shape and angle. If they were not perfect they were re-done.
As far as I am concerned these tools should not be allowed in schools until atleast high school when they have already learned these basic skills.

Puppyluv
September 25th, 2005, 01:54 PM
I agree Stacey, about the calculators especially. We weren't introduced to calculators until grade 7 and am thankful for it. Come highschool however, it was essential to have a calculator, as the IB program (which I was in) focuses strongly on graphing, matrices and algorithms. We were however, required to show all of our work leading to the answer (if a question was out of 10, the correct answer was worth 1 and the work was worth 9).
I think it really hits you at university, when all of a sudden calculators are not permitted in most classes, and if so, you are only allowed the most basic calculators (just to check your numbers).
If students today are learning to rely on calculators from day one, they will have a rude awakening later on in life.

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I don't expect everyone to use proper grammar for online chat and I even forgive for spelling from someone who doesn't use english as a written language. It does bother me when it comes to public speaking and written papers.
When I am training new trainers I am very picky with hearing words like and and um through their entire speach or instruction. I tell them to watch what they say and not to repeat words. It sounds sloppy and it makes the person look like they don't know what they are talking about.

Prin
September 25th, 2005, 04:55 PM
The worst for me is by far seeing bad grammar in advertisements. Companies just look stupid when their grammar is all wrong. You know they have the huge marketing budget so it's just laziness and cut corners. Editing people! EDITING!

(Nice Puppyluv; very; nice; :D )

melanie
September 25th, 2005, 05:35 PM
quote 'There is one person I've noticed in particular that is really bad, but I won't name names' lol gee im sorta hoping thats me :D id be pretty proud of such shoddy work personally.

and is grammar really important in todays society, really it has few applicaitons these days im thinkin, like i cant use grammar in my text msg, and i do alot of that.

and hey you ppl should be flattered ppl dont use grammar properly, i think its an indicaiton that they think your really smart and get the jist without grammar or extreme explanation, see your all jsut too smart.... :D

and hey my mum cant actaully read and write, so written grammar has no application in her life, and i would imagine there are many ppl out there who did not have adequate educational oppertunities or at least the opertunity to go to school, so i dont think its actually that important for everyone, as long as you get the idea whats the problem??? :D

Puppyluv
September 25th, 2005, 05:40 PM
and is grammar really important in todays society, really it has few applicaitons these days im thinkin,

and hey you ppl should be flattered ppl dont use grammar properly, i think its an indicaiton that they think your really smart and get the jist without grammar or extreme explanation, see your all jsut too smart.... :D

so i dont think its actually that important for everyone, as long as you get the idea whats the problem??? :D

You're kidding right?

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 05:43 PM
It is very important in my business.

chico2
September 25th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Stacey,in business,yes..but this is not a business and peoples grammar is the last thing on my mind.
I am much more interested in our common interest,which is our pets,as long as I understand what is being said,who cares about grammar :eek:
Writing in caps bothers me,it makes the poster seem angry,no need for that.
I hope we did not scare anyone away, whos grammar is less than perfect,I am still here :D

melanie
September 25th, 2005, 05:56 PM
ah no im not kidding, im pretty serious. i dont see why i have to use appropriate grammar when i know if i quickly lay it out your gunna get it, its that simple.

gee i would hate to have limited education around here, i might just end up feeling really bad or getting hurt feelings. hey it could even be percieved as arrogant by some... but luckily i wont, bahahahahahaha.

wow i cant actualyl believe that your all being serious, surely not... :eek: ....

StaceyB
September 25th, 2005, 06:16 PM
quote is grammar really important in todays society, really it has few applicaitons these days im thinkin,

Chico, Please read post 31. I was just answering this question.

CyberKitten
September 25th, 2005, 08:45 PM
I think it is prob too much to expect everyone who posts here to have perfect grammar just as not all of us are perfect typists (no names here pls, lol). BUT, I just thought were examining the issue and of course, bad grammar irritates me - there is little excuse for it and it shows not so much lack of education as just lack of respect and attention to detail. I worry less about it here than I do in my morning newspaper of course but I do think there is an argument to be made that grammar is worse these days - thx in part to online text messanging and such. However - there is no scientific evidence to sugget it so it is simply an opinion, lol

Prin
September 25th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Personally, I don't think that text messaging and chatting should be an excuse for every day sloppiness. Melanie, I actually see it the other way around- that we're not worth people's time because they don't care to write in sentences or care to fix typos.

I know, CK and Melanie, you both think this is about you, but you aren't nearly the worst of the bunch. I can read both your posts pretty easily (except for the different Aussie phrases, Mel, that I have never heard before, but those are funny.. :D ). There are some posts where, after one sentence, there's just no point in reading further. Basically, most if not all the people who replied to this thread don't fit into the "really bad" category (according to me, anyway).

Puppyluv
September 25th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Basically, most if not all the people who replied to this thread don't fit into the "really bad" category (according to me, anyway).

I was just thinking that too! The post that I had just struggled through reading, when I started this thread, was not written by anyone who has posted on this thread. I'm really sorry if people feel like they're being attacked for their grammar/spelling (or lack there of) chances are, if you care enough to post your thoughts on the topic, you're not really an offending party.

CyberKitten
September 26th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Hmmm... should I be paranoid, lol? I never thought it was about me since I consider myself a good writer and quite good at grammar tho my typos leave much to be desired. I cited that merely to note that none of us is perfect. And while grammar may be emphasized less in the new ways of teaching now, I have observed a worsening trend even among the Residents and clerks (med students) I teach. They even use such acronyms as "btw" Now I know - and Shannon can voucn for this, we in the medical professions have a plethora of acronyms and abbreviations to start with - used in scripts for ex like tid and c with a line over it for with which I ALWAYS use in writing offline and sometimes forget when communicating with non medical ppl - so we hardly needed more of them but we DO have more, sighhhh!!!

Anyway, I will try to be more kind about correcting grammar in the future - as long as you all tolerate my legion of typos!!

chico2
September 26th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Mel,I have enjoyed your sense of humour for a long time,although I often wish I had an Aussie dictionary :evil:
Stacey,I get your point...
One of the downsides of using the PC too much,is for me to write snail-mail letters,my handwriting has become terrible,to the point I print instead,which to me looses the personal touch of a letter.Nothing to do with this thread,just wanted to find out if someone else has the same problem :eek:

Rick C
September 26th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Considering the topic, this is pretty ironic/funny in today's Calgary Herald:

http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=2c3a53bf-b1d9-4cc8-9199-a36346304f45

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jiorji
September 26th, 2005, 10:18 AM
grammer???!?!

grammAr

what's becoming more of a trend now is internet lingo. kids spelling bad on purpose cos it's cool. sigh...the new generation

c u L8r??
umm...no! lol

Puppyluv
September 26th, 2005, 12:02 PM
grammer???!?!

grammAr

LOL almost as bad as typing "speeling" (which if anyone thinks they may have, they have not) in this thread.

CyberKitten
September 26th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Chico,

I DO indeed have the same problem, especially when writing notes in which I find I have added a smilie or a <g> or some other abbreviation. Not to mention the aforementioned probs of medical acronyms and abbreviations - I am sure some of my correspondents think I am a little off the wall, lol

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 01:44 PM
LOL Rick- that article!! Puppyluv IS Tamara Gignac!! :D She's a reporter! :evil:

Yeah, I was waiting for somebody to bring up grammer... DefinAtely, I was. I don't get that one... Look at the words made with the root of definitely:
Definite
definition
etc
Where do you pull definately from? Sorry if that offends anybody- everybody seems to do it. ;) I just don't think anybody would spell "definite" wrong.

jjgeonerd
September 26th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Where do you pull definately from? Sorry if that offends anybody- everybody seems to do it. ;) I just don't think anybody would spell "definite" wrong.
I hate that word...I always spell it wrong! Stupid word! :D

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 01:55 PM
LOL everybody spells it wrong. Maybe the very few who spell it right are the ones who are wrong. :D

Rick C
September 26th, 2005, 04:02 PM
LOL Rick- that article!! Puppyluv IS Tamara Gignac!! :D She's a reporter! :evil:

Well, step on me and call me a toadie . . . . that came out of the blue. Hilarious.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

LavenderRott
September 26th, 2005, 10:02 PM
The problem is, these days our young people feel much the same as Melanie - it is just grammer and spelling so why bother? So long as people get the jist of what I mean.

Sorry, I have too much respect for myself and the people that I am addressing (even in a forum setting) to not attempt to use the best spelling and grammar that I was taught. So, I may occasionally spell a word wrong. Or use some punctuation incorrectly. But at least I know that no one will have to try and decipher what I have written. If I felt strongly enough to post something, well, people should be able to read it without eye strain.

Look, I understand that many of the members of this forum learned English as a second language (or even a third or fourth) and I realize that they may not be able to use it as well as those of us who have been speaking English since we were born. And I can live with that. But I really have a hard time with people who have so little respect for themselves that they don't even try.

And I skip posts that are one long rant with no attempt at paragraphs, sentences or any other type of punctuation. It makes my eyes hurt too much.

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Well, step on me and call me a toadie . . . . that came out of the blue. Hilarious.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Umm... I was joking. Right, Puppyluv? I was joking, wasn't I? Sorry if I'm not funny. :o

Puppyluv
September 26th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Damn Prin how did you know it was me???
Alas no, I am not an undercover reporter, just the daughter of an English/ESL/ECS teacher who taught her children the importance of grammar.

StaceyB
September 26th, 2005, 10:21 PM
I think what upsets me most are the lack of teaching at the schools to correct mistakes in written work. My children are in grades 5 and 6 and are not made to correct their mistakes. I don't think they see the importance in doing it right if they are never made to correct their mistakes. I make them do it at home but it should also be done at school.

mona_b
September 27th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Stacey,in business,yes..but this is not a business and peoples grammar is the last thing on my mind.
I am much more interested in our common interest,which is our pets,as long as I understand what is being said,who cares about grammar :eek:
Writing in caps bothers me,it makes the poster seem angry,no need for that.
I hope we did not scare anyone away, whos grammar is less than perfect,I am still here :D

Amen....... :highfive:

If a few words are off,big deal..Yes I can understand if everything is all messed up.But once again,WE are not perfect.

Mel hun,don't you worry,I understand EVERYTHING you type..... :p

Also,has anyone ever thought that some may be dislexic?...Yeah I spelt it wrong.Sue me....... :p

glasslass
September 27th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Mel, I always love reading your posts. If anything, your writing style with all its grammatical errors and misspelled words just seems all the more colorful to me as a result of them. I have to admit that I read your posts imagining an Aussie accent. We never see each other on this forum. The individual writing characteristics are an insight into the different personalities represented. I am more interested in the writer's opinions, sense of humor, tolerance, than I am in how correctly they write.

Rick C
September 27th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Umm... I was joking. Right, Puppyluv? I was joking, wasn't I? Sorry if I'm not funny. :o

On our hockey board, reporters from the SUN and Herald flat out tell us they come by every day looking for story ideas from the various discussions . . . . so I was quite willing to believe you.

You sucked me right in!!! :highfive:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Sorry... Hey, do you get royalties for that?

Byrd
September 27th, 2005, 08:09 PM
quote 'There is one person I've noticed in particular that is really bad, but I won't name names' lol gee im sorta hoping thats me :D id be pretty proud of such shoddy work personally.

Nope, sorry, you weren't the one I was talking about. I can't find any of the posts, but it is a person that spells every single word wrong!

coppperbelle
September 27th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I am joining this conversation a bit late but here are my two cents. I often see words spelled wrong and think that maybe I am wrong. Definately is one of them. I have seen it so often spelled incorrectly that I have started questioning myself.
The other problem I have is that I type very quickly, sometimes quicker than I think. You will often see two capital letters at the beginning of my sentences as a result. I do go back and correct sometimes and will be more vigilant in the future. :D
I have been chatting on the Internet for many years. When I first started, typing in capital letters was considered yelling, so if you are a newbie and type in caps, beware, someone may take offense.

:highfive:

StaceyB
September 27th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I try to correct myself when I notice but that is just me. I don't expect anyone to be perfect but as others had mentioned there are some posts that are really hard to understand or even read. I don't think anyones problem has ever been that a few words were spelled wrong. It is the ones that are so mixed up that you can't understand what the person is even trying to say.

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Exacly wen peple spel evry werd rong and use no punktuayshon it becums hard to desyfer wat thay ar tring to sei. you no wat i meen?

love my dogs
September 27th, 2005, 09:06 PM
I have yet to come across a post in which the spelling and grammer are so bad that I cannot read, or understand it.

Please tell me who we are talking about......or at least give me a hint ;)

I really want to check this out.....I'm soooo curious! You are killing me here!!

Prin
LOL You'll just have to read them all. :D

StaceyB
Now that's just hard on the brain.

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Love My Dogs, most are in the General or Pet health forums... Usually.

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Now that's just hard on the brain.
wot? it dozn't madder if you undrstand the jist, rite? I meen, you understood evrything rite? Wot's the poynte in takeing cair if you get it anyweigh?

StaceyB
September 27th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Ouch, now the eyes.

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 09:13 PM
School's fault... Sound it out they said. Souuunnnnd it ouuuuut. :D

StaceyB
September 27th, 2005, 09:15 PM
I bet that took more work to do that wrong than to do it right.

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Hel yah. Specelly sinse I'm not useto it. It makes me cringe as I write.. :o

Puppyluv
September 27th, 2005, 10:12 PM
The other problem I have is that I type very quickly, sometimes quicker than I think. You will often see two capital letters at the beginning of my sentences as a result. I do go back and correct sometimes and will be more vigilant in the future. :D
:highfive:
I do that a lot!! (ooh there's a "word" that drives me nuts when its misspelled) It often takes me three or four tries to get rid of the second capitalized letter (I delete the entire word and restart, so each time I restart, I capitalize both letters again :rolleyes: )

Byrd
September 29th, 2005, 07:55 PM
I don't remember the name, so can't give a hint. Sorry. What Prin wrote is the gist of it though.

Puppyluv
September 29th, 2005, 08:24 PM
One of my classes made me think of this thread today, and since I'm sure you all care, :rolleyes: I will share.
In my physiology class we have a term paper that must be written in pairs, no ifs ands or butts, pairs only! The topics are being posted on monday, so people are madly trying to find partners before then. [A little side note: each of our classes have websites with message boards so that you can ask questions to eachother, TA's and profs, or just chat.] A lot of people have been posting on the message board, saying that they don't yet have a partner, and if anyone else needs one, email them at ______.
Now, the reason I thought about this thread is because 90% of those posts have absolutely attrocious spelling and grammar. Tell me this, who in their right mind would want a partner for a written term paper, that can barely write a coherent sentence?!?!?

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 09:31 PM
LOL I had a paper with 4 people for a journalism class and we had 3 people from Belgium who only spoke French, me and an English major. The French people scored better for grammar and presentation than the English major. :rolleyes: (Biology student Prin scored better than him too, but that's expected...)