Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cranberry Pills- Help

CJ05
September 24th, 2005, 08:16 AM
My 7 1/2 month old puppy had finished her medication last week from her 5th uti. AS recommened on the forum, I started her on cranberry pills yesterday.Although I was hesitant to do so; when she had her uti, the pH was still normal and cranberry pills are supposed to make the urine more acidic.
Since we started her on the pills, she has been urinating quite frequently. Seven times last night between 6:30 and 11:00 and worse this morning, nine times between 6:30 and 9:00( seven of those times within 25 minutes on our walk).
My question is, will cranberry pills increase urination, or am I looking at yet another UTI??

SnowDancer
September 24th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I absolutely cannot take Cranberry - although it does work for many people, it makes my condition worse - I am extremely acidic as it is and a doctor determined that Cranberry is not for me. It would appear that my dog may suffer same problem. He has not suffered from a UTI, but was urinating a little too much. I had been alternating his 2 favourite flavours of his preferred cookie - one was Turkey with Cranberry. So I stopped with the Cranberry just giving him Caribou flavour and that did the trick.

CJ05
September 24th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Confirmed, my dog now has a 6th UTI. If we can get through weekend then I will get a sample to send to AVC in PEI for a culture. Although the difference with this uti is that she is not dribbling in the house ( so far) as she has quite often done before. Very frustrating. :confused: :sad:

CJ05
September 26th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Wow, 2 tests, with those pee stick thingys, showed that my dog had blood in her urine on Saturday which means UTI. Today another test was done so it could be sent to PEI and the stick said negative for blood in the urine. Figure that out. Dog is doing fine.

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 05:02 PM
So no more UTI? Maybe the cran pills did help... :confused:

CJ05
September 26th, 2005, 05:17 PM
No more UTI. Its really hard to say what was going on here. I thought the cranberry pills were flushing her out. I couldn't see them working that fast. She just finished her medication last week for her last uti and I couldn't understand how she would get one so soon. Her behaviour was alot different this time too. She was peeing a lot at times but wasn't trying to pee every 10 seconds and not have anything come out, and also she did't have any accidents in the house. Wierd but not going to complain.

Prin
September 26th, 2005, 05:21 PM
You have to wonder, too, with so many UTI's if she is developing habits because of them... Maybe...

justncase
September 26th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Cranberry causes the bacteria to slough off the bladder walls. It doesn't cause a flushing action or increase urination in and of itself. An increase in fluid consumption is needed to do that. It also will not correct UTI if whatever is causing the UTI's is still in place. For some pets, no dry pet food, no fish in any form, cranberry extact capsules as a preventative and fluid consumption somewhat increased.