Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Running out of names?

Writing4Fun
September 23rd, 2005, 02:54 PM
Has anyone else heard that they might actually be running out of names for all the hurricanes this year?

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/blog/story.html?id=53038f73-2f0a-4fa5-87f2-6ce79f39a377

Dogastrophe
September 23rd, 2005, 03:06 PM
I'm not quite sure why the media outlets think that this is 'big news'. Then again, much of the crap they report on isn't really relevant news. I didn't read the article that you posted, and suspect that the following is discussed within, but here goes. Each season there are 21 people names, alternating between male and female, assigned to hurricanes / tropical depressions that are generated in the Atlantic (if you go to the following: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml you can see the names through to 2010). When the list is fully used, as they are predicting this year, the naming goes to the greek alphabet for successive storms (alpha, beta, etc.)

Prin
September 23rd, 2005, 05:30 PM
They alternate male and female names by year right? Not by letter... I thought...

mafiaprincess
September 23rd, 2005, 06:35 PM
No by letter...

Ophelia
Philippe
Rita

etc

Cinnabear
September 23rd, 2005, 08:33 PM
When they get to z, wouldn't they start over again? There is always ways of creating new names for the hurricane.

Writing4Fun
September 23rd, 2005, 11:02 PM
They think this is "big" news because they're saying there are more hurricanes in a given year than they expected. It's the whole "sky is falling" ratings grab.

Not that I blame them - I think the sky just might be falling after all...

Writing4Fun
September 23rd, 2005, 11:03 PM
When they get to z, wouldn't they start over again? There is always ways of creating new names for the hurricane.
Their problem is that they allot a certain number of names each year, and they think they might run out this year before the season is over. They said they'll start using the Greek alphabet if that happens.

StaceyB
September 23rd, 2005, 11:21 PM
Do you see how ridiculous this sounds and to think people actually spend time on it. lol, We could just say, hurricane season closed for the year, ran out of names Wait til next year for a new batch of names.

JaydeDoggie
September 23rd, 2005, 11:29 PM
I was talking about this with a friend today. These are the names for the
2005 Atlantic Season:
Arlene
Bret
Cindy
Dennis
Emily
Franklin
Gert
Harvey
Irene
Jose
Katrina
Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
Philippe
Rita
Stan
Tammy
Vince
Wilma

They name a storm once it gets to a tropical depression, therefore, you won't recognaize all the names, might wonder "hey, was there really a hurricane lee, or hurricane gert" and there was but without the damge, we don't hear all the names (specially here in Canada)

Sooo if there is 4 more storms this year they will have to go into the Greek Alphabet to name more storms .... 4 more, and when does hurricane season end? I think we will have a Hurricane Alpha!!!

Prin
September 23rd, 2005, 11:29 PM
At least Wilma will be submissive... ;)

StaceyB
September 23rd, 2005, 11:35 PM
I guess it is just an easy way to keep track of who came before who.