Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dogs in apartments with other animals

jiorji
September 23rd, 2005, 02:31 PM
I was reading the other post on large dogs in apartments and while i have my own questions I don't want to take over another post lol

do bigger dogs sleep more because they're much bigger??

for those of you with many furries in the house, observing your dog's behaviour, would you say an animal is less likely to experience sepparation anxiety and boredom if there's other animals in the house to "interract" with??
I wonder this because my kitty seems very intrigued by my guinea pig when she's bored. That or she comes and sits on my desk and tries to catch my mouse pointer lol

I was reading some articles on how to occupy your dog when you're at work during the day, with mind challenging toys and such, would the companion of another critter be the same idea perhaps?

Writing4Fun
September 23rd, 2005, 02:47 PM
Well, here's what I experienced just today.

We could never leave Phoebe out of her crate, because the few times we tried, she would bark at the window until we were out of earshot (or, at least, that's when we no longer heard her - she was probably still barking :p ), and then she'd find something to sit down and shred to pieces - usually a pack of diapers, loaf of bread, or some other "paper" product that we accidentally left on a counter or table-top anywhere. Today, however, we left her with our house-guest, Akita, who is fine when left alone. We came home to an untouched house, and both dogs happily waiting for us behind the door. So, I'm thinking, yeah ... if they have each other to chew on, they might leave the furniture and woodwork alone. ;)

Rottielover
September 23rd, 2005, 03:10 PM
90% of seperation anxiety is with dog to owner, having another dog, or animal will not, or would not cure the problem. training and patience can, but in some extreme cases I have seen, only drugs can help. Ask any rescue, you never buy a pet for a pet, you adopt for yourself.....Am I right guys and gals....I have only have large dogs, and none of them ever destroyed the house. being crate trained until over a year old, then work slowly away from the crate. You can teach a dog certain play is exceptable in the home, where most is for outside

jiorji
September 23rd, 2005, 03:40 PM
Ask any rescue, you never buy a pet for a pet, you adopt for yourself

no you misunderstood. I don't mean buying a pet for my pets.

I'm just wondering in general as far as animal behavious goes. Issue that was brough up in a psychology animal behaviour class at school. I'm just interested to know of pet interation stories

doggy lover
September 23rd, 2005, 03:45 PM
My last dog Travis 120lb BMD X GSD was a couch potato and yes he slept alot, I never crated him and was allowed to stay out after 6 months with no problems. I don't know if it was because he was large or just his temperment that he prefered to sleep, I'm sure some large dogs are very active. Now I have a 16 month BC and he was crate trained, he still stays in his crate when we are not home, I have been gradully letting him stay out at night but sometimes still wake up to him in my face at 4am for loving. Couch potato heavens no, sleeps maybe 10 hours a day at tops, I still don't trust that he will not chew something when we are not home so thats why still the crate. As for seperation anxiety I have never had that problem, but I have never made a fuss when I had left either dogs at home alone since they were babies, I worked the time left alone up over a few weeks and never made a big fuss when comming home, made it seem like a everyday thing. I think if you keep on that mommies leaving and then the samething when you come home they get over excited and start behaving like they don't want you to leave. As far as I know both of mine slept when left alone.

gomez
September 23rd, 2005, 04:59 PM
My last dog Travis 120lb BMD X GSD was a couch potato and yes he slept alot, I never crated him and was allowed to stay out after 6 months with no problems. I don't know if it was because he was large or just his temperment that he prefered to sleep, I'm sure some large dogs are very active. Now I have a 16 month BC and he was crate trained, he still stays in his crate when we are not home, I have been gradully letting him stay out at night but sometimes still wake up to him in my face at 4am for loving. Couch potato heavens no, sleeps maybe 10 hours a day at tops, I still don't trust that he will not chew something when we are not home so thats why still the crate. As for seperation anxiety I have never had that problem, but I have never made a fuss when I had left either dogs at home alone since they were babies, I worked the time left alone up over a few weeks and never made a big fuss when comming home, made it seem like a everyday thing. I think if you keep on that mommies leaving and then the samething when you come home they get over excited and start behaving like they don't want you to leave. As far as I know both of mine slept when left alone.

Is that sleeping 10 hours a day on top of the night sleeping, or 10 hours out of 24?

Beetlecat
September 23rd, 2005, 05:00 PM
do bigger dogs sleep more because they're much bigger??

I doubt it. All dogs probably sleep the same amount, but some play quietly when awake and others are hanging from the ceiling.

would you say an animal is less likely to experience sepparation anxiety and boredom if there's other animals in the house to "interract" with??

I'd say this depends more on how much the particular animals like each other. In my experience, dogs prefer to play together when there is an audience to watch them. Even good dog buddies probably sleep most of the day. They play when the human gets home or when they're let out 'cause they're all excited.

I was reading some articles on how to occupy your dog when you're at work during the day, with mind challenging toys and such, would the companion of another critter be the same idea perhaps?

Again, it's possible, but it really depends on the particular dogs. Getting another pet that gets along and plays with the current one is basically a matter of luck. If you want another one for the sake of having two, that's fine. Just don't expect them to entertain or even really like each other.

Prin
September 23rd, 2005, 05:23 PM
Big dogs sleep more, IMO, because they aren't as alert to small things. It usually takes a lot more to get a dane up and barking than a chihuahua. Much more is threatening to a tiny dog's survival than to a huge dog's survival. So the big dog can sleep through stuff the little guy can't, thus making it seem like he's sleeping more...

As for the companionship, sorry Rottielover, but we got Jemma for Boo. He wanted a dog and got all mopey when he didn't see at least one dog during the day. He's a real dogs dog. He did exactly what W4F described- in the first 5-10 minutes, he'd shred any papery thing around. One time my boyfriend went down to his car to get his wallet and came back to a disastrous mess.

Then Jemma came along.. Now, he never shreds anything when we're gone. (The only time he still shreds is when we touch on remnants of his abuse- he gets angry and rips stuff apart... Like when the smoke detector goes off.. I think he feels empowered when he shreds...)

Of course, Boo wasn't the only reason we got another dog, but it was among the reasons we started looking. I have never had just one doggy at home, so I was adequately prepared for two, and I wanted two, but Boo encouraged me to start looking at that moment.) Right now, (still) waiting to see what happens with the greyhound foster, I feel selfish. My dogs don't "need" another dog around anymore. This one's just for me. Doesn't feel the same at all.

Sneaky
September 23rd, 2005, 05:24 PM
for those of you with many furries in the house, observing your dog's behaviour, would you say an animal is less likely to experience sepparation anxiety and boredom if there's other animals in the house to "interract" with??
I wonder this because my kitty seems very intrigued by my guinea pig when she's bored. That or she comes and sits on my desk and tries to catch my mouse pointer lol

Well, dogs are social animals. Behaviourally speaking, Of Course a Dog would appreciate another dog to interact with. I have always found seperation anxiety is indeed eased by another animal in the home.
My dog used to suffer extreme seperation anxiety. Once we got a new kitten, who is an indoor kitty, she stopped showing any signs of seperation anxiety.
It is also a combination of toys too with the cat.
She will play with the cat when we are gone, and she will play with her toys.
She has a whole toy box full of stuffed toys and squeakers!
You should definetly try to get your dog more toy oriented, it really alleviates the issue of seperation anxiety, and if you did consider another doggy friend for yourself in the future, your dog would greatly appreciate it as well!!

doggy lover
September 23rd, 2005, 05:25 PM
No 10 hours in the whole day. My other one probably slept 10 hours a day plus his night time sleep.

jiorji
September 23rd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Right now, (still) waiting to see what happens with the greyhound foster, I feel selfish. My dogs don't "need" another dog around anymore. This one's just for me. Doesn't feel the same at all.

you fostering a greyhound as well??
(i don't read all posts lol sorry...i'm more frequent to the pet photo threads :cool: )

TobsterMom
September 23rd, 2005, 07:03 PM
I have a big dog. He pretty much sleeps when we're gone, and parties when we get home. I think it all depends on the lifestyle they get used to. Toby is happy to run around the yard and go for walks, and he also likes quite nappy time. When he knows we're leaving, he automatically goes to his bed. Just the routine he's used to I guess.

Prin
September 23rd, 2005, 10:56 PM
you fostering a greyhound as well??
(i don't read all posts lol sorry...i'm more frequent to the pet photo threads :cool: )
Well, I applied to foster a greyhound and I was at the bottom of the list because I have 2 beasties already. But then this guy has crazy separation anxiety and it isn't working out with his foster home, and the head of greyhound rescue thought it would do him some good to be with other doggies, so I've been waiting......... :) We'll see what happens.

jiorji
September 23rd, 2005, 11:16 PM
Well, I applied to foster a greyhound and I was at the bottom of the list because I have 2 beasties already. But then this guy has crazy separation anxiety and it isn't working out with his foster home, and the head of greyhound rescue thought it would do him some good to be with other doggies, so I've been waiting......... :) We'll see what happens.
oh good luck :fingerscr

Prin
September 23rd, 2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks... I'll keep everyone posted if anything happens.