Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training my dog on a leash

SuperFryMFC
September 23rd, 2005, 07:17 AM
I have a new 5 month cock-a-poo. According to the woman at the pet store he'd been living with her in a house with a lot of other dogs and was sort of the beta dog. when you pick him up he hugs you and is very non-alpha. If we take him out back to pee/poo, he walks right on your heels, never in front. It's the same thing with the leash. We're now trying to walk him around the block to do his stuff but he always walks behind you or right on your heels. It's frustrating getting stepped on but mostly ending up kicking him accidentaly.

My question is, how do you even begin to leash train a dog who obviously doesn't like being in charge? Thanks for the help!

Laura

LavenderRott
September 23rd, 2005, 07:55 AM
Does he have a favorite toy? My suggestion would be to take him outside to a grassy place and, with his leash on, sit down and play with him. This will get him more comfortable with the leash.

My next suggestion is to start checking around your area for good trainer. Formal training will give your pup a lot of confidence.

aussiemedogs
September 23rd, 2005, 08:00 AM
Place a yummy treat in your hand have the dog sitting beside you and keep the treat in front of his nose take a few steps and give it to him.....continue this until he starts walking beside you, get him to do some sits in between so he doesn't get bored quickly to do this just draw the treat in front of his nose and bring it upward and say sit....then treat.

Beetlecat
September 23rd, 2005, 05:11 PM
He's probably still a little scared and worried about him new situation. I'd expect he'll open up and gain confidence once he knows his new world a bit better and realizes he's allowed to walk beside you.

I would just teach him to heel. It could be difficult to start (he'll keep falling behind), but once he sees it's good for him to be there it'll be easy to retrain him to walk beside rather than behind. Make walking beside you exciting and wonderful. He just needs some time.