Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Forever barking

Mowgli
September 22nd, 2005, 09:50 PM
My dog is approximately 1 year old, was adopted from the Humane Society and they think she is a Portugese Podengo (Warren Hound) mix. (looks like a small greyhound, about knee high)
The problem is she is very active and full of energy and barks at EVERYTHING! Not just rabbits and squirrels: ants, leafs, objects. She knows what "quiet" means and will stop for 10 seconds, then go again. Mornings and evenings are very bad - she is hyperactive and barks as if posessed by some bark-demon! Can't let her out to pee or play for more than a few minutes since the neighbours are mad and threatening to sue. Besides, she is so busy barking that she won't do anything else. In the house she moves around a lot, will pull, chew (no barking though!) non stop.
We go for walks, go to obedience school, we play, went to leash free park etc. and she is Ok - no barking on the leash or when walking but the evenings are a nightmare: she remains hyperactive and barking. Citronella spray did nothing, tried (with tears on my part) the shock-collar but she barks despite it.
I don't want to give her up but I don't know what to do and am exhausted from walking, playing and constantly having to watch her and stop her from barking (not that she seems to care much about what I do). Will this last forever?????
I'd welcome any ideas - and thanks in advance for your help.

StaceyB
September 22nd, 2005, 10:52 PM
What does your trainer tell you about this, where are you? Someone may be able to suggest a fenced off leash park in your area and possibly another trainer.
How much exercise and what kind does she get? Is she social with people and dogs? What do you do when she barks?

MIA
September 23rd, 2005, 04:39 PM
My Doberman was like that for the first year we had her (adopted as well). Nothing like a barking Doberman running around!!! I simply worked her on obedience, used a shake can and used "quiet" each time, it took forever but she did come full circle..... A friend of mine had a MinPin that she couldn't get to stop and was in a similar situation as you, neighbors mad etc, she ended up having the dogs vocal cords lasered, which unlike de-barking simply turns the volume down, that's how it sounds and I might add it sounds much better... I am NOT an advocate of laser/debarking BUT if it means you can keep your dog, I am for it. Here's a great site with tons of articles:

http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/

StaceyB
September 23rd, 2005, 04:51 PM
I have had dogs in classes that had that done and it was so sad. The dog is no longer able to communicate when they needed to.

MIA
September 23rd, 2005, 04:54 PM
The MinPin that had laser surgery could communicate NO problem, it was just a softer sounding voice, trust me the dog was fine. Debarking yes would take away the ability to communicate. The laser is fairly new but much better than de-barking.

Mowgli
September 23rd, 2005, 05:03 PM
:sad: we do go to a leash free parh where she was very shy initially since she got pushed around by other dogs, now it's better, seems more comfortable and they don't bug her anymore. Usually she barks at other dogs (when on leash) but then will sniff and wag tail when encouraged and if the other owner is OK we spend some time sniffing and saying hello. GReat with other people and kids, everybody pets her and she likes it.
The trainer said to try and distract her - good luck!! She is generally unfocused and hard to bring to task unless SHE feels like it! I' ve tried the "quiet + treat and praise when stopping" method as well as fingers over the nose gently, I go places where I can find rabbits and squirrels to try and "desensitize" but ....no use. Honestly, she turns into a different creature, totally disobedient, yapping as if the end of the world is near! (of course, she had to have a high pitched bark that pierces everything!)
thanks for your suggestions and...keep them coming!

Lucky Rescue
September 25th, 2005, 10:59 AM
This is probably why this dog ended up in the shelter in the first place.

Personally, I would rather see a dog debarked then dead in a shelter, which may happen if the neighbours continue to complain and you get an ultimatum. The dog doesn't know it can't bark,as it can still make a noise of sorts.

Here's a bunch of articles on barking. One of them may help you!:)
Barking (http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/noise.htm)