Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help!

sjat24
September 22nd, 2005, 08:00 PM
My Cat has been rubbing her a$$ on my carpet, she rubbed poo all over UGH! There was poo stuck on her bottom. Gave her a bath to clean her.

But she is still doing rubbing her bum in our carpet. What can I do to relieve her!?

Puppyluv
September 22nd, 2005, 08:36 PM
Your cat's anal glands may be full and need emptying. Something you can do yourself (if you know what you're doing) or a vet or groomer can do.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html
(just one of many sites on the topic, a google search will produce tonnes of info on the topic)

justncase
September 22nd, 2005, 09:45 PM
An animal will do that if the feces is stuck on the area, in an attempt to try and rub it off. In rubbing it off against rough surfaces, the area can get irritated and the next time there's feces there can be a burning sensation which causes the animal to rub against the surface to get rid of the burning sensation. If this is the problem then try and correct whatever is causing the feces not to be expelled completely(diet?), keep the area clean and apply the contents of a vitamin E capsule if it looks red and irritated. It will form a protective barrier and help the area to heal .

Prin
September 22nd, 2005, 10:07 PM
Really? Cats have anal glands too? I didn't know that! :)

Puppyluv
September 22nd, 2005, 10:29 PM
Ahh the things you can learn when I don't feel like doing my homework, and instead do google searches :D

Prin
September 22nd, 2005, 10:31 PM
LOL Works out perfectly- you google when you're bored, I come here and read what you've googled for the day. Ahhh, procrastination as a team. :highfive:

sjat24
September 23rd, 2005, 08:57 AM
Thank you! It must be the change of food. I am changing it gradually but I guess the new food is affecting Blackie more so than Lynx.

TobsterMom
September 23rd, 2005, 10:03 AM
My friends new kitty had a poopy problem too, except she would rub her bum on the bed usually first thing in the morning, I think it was to let her know "Hey...I got this poopy thing going on!" Plus it was probably very soft on the bum!

Lucky for my friend, her poopy issue is over. Her white duvet is safe (for now)!