Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Legislation would require pet to be included in evacuations

db7
September 22nd, 2005, 03:22 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal disaster grants to state and local governments should be conditioned on how they accommodate pets in their evacuation plans, say lawmakers disturbed that some Hurricane Katrina victims refused to leave home because they couldn't take their animals with them.

"I cannot help but wonder how many more people could have been saved had they been able to take their pets," Rep. Tom Lantos, D-California, said Thursday.

Lantos and Reps. Christopher Shays, R-Connecticut, and Barney Frank, D-Massaschusetts, are sponsoring a bill that would require that state and local disaster preparedness plans required for Federal Emergency Management Agency funding include provisions for household pets and service animals.

More than 6,000 pets have been saved in Mississippi and Louisiana, said Michael Markarian, executive vice president of the Humane Society of the United States, but tens of thousands more could still be in New Orleans alone. Texas, he said, has been better at allowing people to take their pets with them ahead of Hurricane Rita but a formal policy is still needed.

"We cannot rely on individual acts of compassion," Markarian said.

Holly Hazard, executive director of the Doris Day Animal League, said there are 4,000 outstanding requests to rescue pets more than three weeks after Katrina hit.

While the legislation may draw attention to the issue, it doesn't "have any real meat in it," said Sara Spaulding, a spokeswoman for the American Humane Association. She said uniform protocols on rescuing and sheltering animals, for example, should be formulated at the federal level with consultation from animal welfare groups.

Luvmypit
September 22nd, 2005, 03:58 PM
I read this and it is very good!

I can't imagine leaving my pet and I am afraid I would stay no matter what. I have a hard time going to work in the morning let alone leaving them in a flooded town....

I still can't get my head around the fact that there are animals out there still that cars have passed, national guard and other rescuers and they can't even stop to give these starving to death animals some food/water. Honestly I have no respect for that. I think its disguisting with a capital D. Screw this talk about humans first humans first... its just a dog/cat blah blah blah. Its about compassion for another living being. Anyways sorry for the mini rant. This katrina stuff is really bugging me to the point were I refuse to look at any more starving dogs/cats or hear and stories about them shooting them. I saw that video that LneilB (think thats your user name, sorry if I got it wrong) posted and I had to leave my desk at work and was just in tears, sobbing. All I can see is that video over and over in my head and I just feel sooo lost and helpless.

love my dogs
September 22nd, 2005, 04:17 PM
what luvmypit said!

I'd stay......I actually had a dream about being flooded last night, only it wasn't just water, but ice. Big slates of ice! Anyway, all I was concerned about in my terrifying dream was protecting my dogs.

doggy lover
September 22nd, 2005, 07:34 PM
I couldn't emagine leaving my pets behind, I would stay with them. I'm lucky if I had to leave here I could go to my mums, my sisters, as both live at least 45 min away or I could go to my cottage or friends there. If I didn't have that choice I would be one of the dead that stayed with their pets. As long as cats are caged and dogs are leashed and there is no fighting between dogs why leave them behind. I can understand if they are airlifting, but if you show up at a shelter with a pet have a heart.

babyrocky1
September 22nd, 2005, 07:50 PM
Is realy good to see they are considering this legislation! The New Orleans situation must never happen again. Well I guess were about to see what they do in Texas. I think they will be better much better prepared for the animals as well as the people though. :fingerscr Im with Luvmypit I just can't watch or hear of it anymore, especially the people shooting the dogs :eek: It can't be said enough that human lives would be not ohly enriched but spared if they had disaster plans that rescued the pets along with their owners. Absolutely more people would have fled the dangerous situations if they didn't have to leave their vulnerable pets behind.

Prin
September 22nd, 2005, 09:54 PM
what luvmypit said!

I'd stay......I actually had a dream about being flooded last night, only it wasn't just water, but ice. Big slates of ice! Anyway, all I was concerned about in my terrifying dream was protecting my dogs. LOL A "Canadianized" flood dream, eh? I have had tons of those with tornadoes, wondering where my doggies are and if they are safe...

love my dogs
September 23rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
LOL A "Canadianized" flood dream, eh?

That's funny, I never thought about it like that.....I guess the ice symbolized that I would not only have to worry about drowning, but also freezing to death.

I'll bet a lot of people are having those kind of dreams, as it is on everybody's mind.

lezzpezz
September 23rd, 2005, 12:25 PM
OOO, woo coo coo coo oo coo COO! You hoser! Ice floes, no less! Take off, eh? :ca:

Luvmypit
September 23rd, 2005, 03:43 PM
And another thing,....

Look at all the search and rescue dogs out there looking for human survivors/victims. Yet they can't save some animals. Humans are a bunch of users. I hate them. A species is only as good to humans for what benefit they bring us.

Think about it.

love my dogs
September 23rd, 2005, 03:52 PM
OOO, woo coo coo coo oo coo COO! You hoser! Ice floes, no less! Take off, eh?

Huh? :confused:

Prin
September 23rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
I think it's supposed to be a loon along with other historically Canadian clichés... :D

doggy lover
September 23rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
Love my dogs, it must be before your time. Bill and Doug MacKenzie?

doggy lover
September 23rd, 2005, 03:58 PM
"Take off to the great white north"

love my dogs
September 23rd, 2005, 04:13 PM
Yep I guess it's before my time and over my head. LOL.

love my dogs
September 23rd, 2005, 04:15 PM
OK, hubby just filled me in (he's a few years older).....he says it's bob and doug, not bill and doug.

mafiaprincess
September 23rd, 2005, 04:17 PM
I mentioned the situation with pets in NO to my Mom.. and a few days later she mentioned that she'd read in the paper that Britian already has evacuation plans in place that include, dogs, cats, small animals and horses to get them all out of harms way.

Nice to know that some places had already contemplated how close 4 legged family are for people.

doggy lover
September 23rd, 2005, 04:27 PM
Bob, Bill its all good, at my age its a memory fart.