Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Self Doubt

Blaze01
September 22nd, 2005, 10:29 AM
All my life I have wanted to do some type of social work. I go to night school right now and hope to transfer to a private school to get my cert. in counsling so I can work be a drug abuse therpist. People keep putting down what I want to do...for example when I registered for school this semester she asked me causally what type of social work I wanted to do she was horrified by my response. The first words out of her mouth were "Why your such a pretty girl." I asked her what that had to do with and she changed the subject. Everytime I tell somebody what I am going to school they give this weird look. For some reason drug users interest me. I am so passionate about this and rasing the awarness about the drug Crystal Meth but sometimes I get down and think about changing my major. What do you guess do when you are starting to doubt yourself?

Dogastrophe
September 22nd, 2005, 10:56 AM
Forgetting all of the external 'pressure' being put on you, will you be happy in the field / profession that you are considering? If yes, then the hell with what other people think - follow your dreams. If you can go to work everyday and be happy doing what you are doing then you will be ahead of most of the working population. Although very difficult, try not to let your career / life decisions be influenced by negative people who think they know better.

I've always found that it is better to try something only to find that you hate it rather than spend the next several years wondering if you would have liked it.

Cheers,

:pawprint:

Prin
September 22nd, 2005, 11:10 AM
Never listen. You are with you all day and all night. They aren't. They can't claim to know you better than you do. I think working with drug users is a job that not many people want to do, so it's even better that you do, and that you are passionate about it.

My boyfriend's cousin finds passion in doing other peoples taxes. You can imagine the reaction she gets from people....

It's hard enough to find something you are passionate about and something that makes you more ambitious than usual. I say, when you find it, run to it. :)

Blaze01
September 23rd, 2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys!

Gazoo
September 23rd, 2005, 01:36 PM
Follow your heart.

doggy lover
September 23rd, 2005, 03:00 PM
I agree with Gazoo, don't let other people influence what you really want to do in life, you are the only one who knows why you want to do it. Whats wrong with helping people with drug problems some become great people, they are not all a waist of time. I believe you should enjoy your work or there is not much sence in doing it.

Puppyluv
September 23rd, 2005, 03:10 PM
I agree 100% trust your heart and your gut. It's the only way you'll truly be happy; whether it's in schooling, your career, your pets, your home, anything. Don't settle