- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Moving abroad with pet

September 22nd, 2005, 10:24 AM
I am moving to Colombia with my dog. I have been trying to find out details about transporting her. We will be travelling through the US first. Does anyone know about what kind of certification I will need ? Does Canada have any kind of international certification documents ? I have been asking in Colombia and everyone is helpful but they all have different answers to the same question. Thanks.

September 22nd, 2005, 12:00 PM
I know to get in the UK without having to submit one's pet to the strict quarantine laws - there is a pet passport. Maybe if you ask your vet, he will know. Also, the Colombian Government must have on their official website a list of requirments for bringing animals into the country, I would have thought. Just a couple of idea's anyhow - hope they help.

September 23rd, 2005, 03:51 PM
When my cousins moved to Spain, I remember their dog had to have something like a 7 week quarentine at a shelter or hospital, and there was something to do with the dog possibly being sent back due to bad paperwork or something.

Sorry I can't really be helpful with this. All I can suggest is research every single thing about the journey. The internet would probabaly be useful, but I don't know of any specific sites to visit :(

September 23rd, 2005, 04:26 PM
did you try calling the embassy?

you most likely need the vet to sign forms that say your dog has had up to date shots and rabies shot, and well have those done. Some countries require your dog to be microchipped. I read that for some European countries.

and you'll probably need an airline approved crate (if you're going by plane). Also from what i've read some airlines don't heat up their luggage compartments, so you'd have to get tickets to an airline that does so your pup won't get cold.

so best to do is call the Columbian embassy and talk to your vet.
good luck

September 24th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I think all that you require is your vaccination certificates. When I brought my shepherd to Canada from Finland 9 years ago, that's all I had to show. Having a signed document from the vet stating that your dog is healthy just before the trip would probably not be a bad idea just in case.

Calling the embassy is the way to go. Maybe they can fax you something so you have it in writing?