Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Fence?

xFire Angelx
September 22nd, 2005, 12:58 AM
ok guys i have 3 cats 1 as you probably know from my other thread... is down for the count for a while but ive been trying to keep my other 2 kitties inside and they just will not have it and i heard about cat fences
heres a link on how to do it yourself http://www.feralcat.com/fence.html
what do you guys think of them? ive only heard great things about them but id like to know if they're unsafe at all i dont want my cats wandering around outside of my yard and this seems like the best way to go
what are your opinions on them?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 22nd, 2005, 07:24 AM
Someone in our neighbourhood has a 2*4 attached all the way around her fence at the top facing inward. I assume she may be trying to keep either her dogs or her cat in her yard, not sure if it works but just thought I would pass the idea on.

chico2
September 22nd, 2005, 07:51 AM
I think it probably will be really difficult to keep cats inside who are used to it,but it will keep you from having to deal with another tragedy like Baby.
My cats love to go outside with me and come back in with me,but that's a process you have to start with them from kitten-hood.
The overhang coming out from the fence,seems like a good idea,but I bet your cats will soon figure out how to battle it :D and get over it.
Someone I know of,who has 15 cats :eek: has built a "cat-run"out of chickenwire and a few 2x2's,it's attached to a basement window,where the cats are free to go out and get some air,it's not freedom but better than nothing.

Beetlecat
September 22nd, 2005, 10:45 AM
It looks like it could work, but, if you do put it up, make sure you supervise your cat when it's out. I, for one, would love to just sit outside in the sun with my cat.

Cats can be amazing escape artists, and it would be best just to keep an eye out to see what ideas they're hatching. And you would also want to make sure no predetor gets in to attack the cats.

xFire Angelx
September 22nd, 2005, 01:17 PM
yes deffinetly i will be watching to see where they can escape and fix those up i read that when a cat jumps a fence they have to kinda do a double jump and because of that they cant really lean back and grab onto the thing and climb out...
also i dont think baby will outside for a long time to come lol smokey he doesnt jump fences he digs holes and goes under them now weatherby on the other hand goes through smokeys holes and jumps the fence lol
weatherby isnt exactly the most graceful cat so im hoping just something simple like that would stop weatherby from getting over and we're trying to think of something to do about the diggin a hole and going under the fence problem lol