Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not listening

SarahLynn123
September 21st, 2005, 02:52 PM
This has been happening all the time and Im getting very tired of it. Belle and all the dogs go outside to pee in the morning then eat then go back out for another pee and all the dogs come in except Belle. She sits at the door and scratches, then when I open it and tell her to come in she just sits there. If I take a step toward her she goes running off wanting me to chase her. I have no problem chasing her around when we are playing but we are not and I am now late.

Usually this will go on a few times, then I get fed-up stop outside and she cowers and submits. I now feel terrible and dont want to go to work or school anymore. (I do go though)

Ive only went stomping out there twice, today and yesterday. I do NOT want to do that again. All the other times I was in to hurry to leave so she sat there while I peeked out a window keeping an eye on her.

Please help me!!!!!

Thanks
Sarah

Lucky Rescue
September 21st, 2005, 05:42 PM
I have no problem chasing her around when we are playing but we are not and I am now late.

Do you think Belle knows when you're in a hurry? With training you must be consistant or the dog won't know if you are chasing her to play, or chasing her because you're in a rush. You've turned it into a game and this is one that dogs love to play.

When you open the door, step back and call her to you in a happy voice and give her a treat/praise when she comes. Never chase her around, even when you have time. She needs to learn that "come" is a good thing and that she must always do it. Chasing teaches her to run, because it's fun.

StaceyB
September 22nd, 2005, 04:10 AM
You may need to resort to leashing her for washroom breaks for the time being. Teach her that washroom breaks are not for play. How long is she left out there during these breaks. She may not know the difference between a break for washroom and one for play. She is doing what mine used to would if he hadn't had enough exercise. You may need to back up and re-train this.

Prin
September 22nd, 2005, 11:27 AM
Also, if EVERY time you call her in the morning, she goes in the house and you leave, of course she's going to learn to prolong it. Can you spare 10 minutes in the mornings to go out with them? If you were out with them then it might be easier for her to come inside afterward, knowing she already spent some time with you... Maybe. You could also feed them their morning portion after they were let out. That's motivation to come back...

What I'm trying to say is look at her reasoning- what benefit does it serve her to come in in the morning? Would you come straight in if you were her?

SarahLynn123
September 22nd, 2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks Guys!!!

I go out and chase her around after work before I even go in the house, never in the mornings. I can see why she doesn't want to come in now though.

Shes not outside long, just enough to do her duties and come in! I could spare 10mins to go out with them though.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will give it all a shot.

Sarah