Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hurricane Rita.

Jackie467
September 21st, 2005, 12:24 PM
I figured I'd start a new thread so we don't clogg up a wonderful thread supporting pags.

It has started. I just got back from getting gas. Oh my goodness! I had to drive 45 min. out of my area to find a station that had gas then waited in line for an hour and finally got gas. My college will be closed as of 3 this afternoon until monday, assuming the electricty is on by that time. Houston is now doing a volentary evacuation. Perdictions are that when Rita hits she will be either a high cat. 4 or possibly a 5. the mayor of houston has asked that all businesses let non-vital personale have tomarrow and friday off to prepare or get out of town.

Now starts the bad news for my family. My stepdad is vital personale at the Exxonmobil gas plant so he is not permitted to have those days off. We looked for hotels last night and there are literally NONE! I mean NONE. We searched for 3 hours in every place that we could think of within driving distance including LA, and AR and not one has rooms, and we didn't even ask about pets yet. We have nowhere to evacuate to! My and Tomas's jobs have still yet to decide wheather we get the next two days off and we can't survive without the pay, we literally live paycheck to paycheck so even if we could find a room we have no way to pay for it, luckly my mom said she would help us, but it's not much good since we can't find a room.

Another sad thing is the fish, we obviously can't take them with us. If the electricty goes out too long I don't think they'll make it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them comfertable while they have no airation system or filter and there won't be any way to do water changes to compensate?

Please pray Rita doesn't do too much damage or hurt too many people. Remember Houston is a city of about 1.5 million people and we also are housing another million from N.O. It's going to be hard to get that many people out and to safety. I can't even imagine what the roads will be like. I also worry about our house because we are surronded by huge tall pine trees, but they're the really skinny ones that look like they could fall over at any minute. I just hope we have a house to come back to when this is over. Wish us luck.

kimbilly
September 21st, 2005, 12:30 PM
Jackie my thoughts are with you.

Please try and stay as safe as possible. I know there is not much to say that will make it better, but you will be in our hearts until this is over.

Big hugs :grouphug:

Rick C
September 21st, 2005, 02:00 PM
Since you indicated you would be willing to travel as far as California, I did a few random searches for you:

The Ramada Inn in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the Ramada in Roswell, New Mexico have rooms available as per an internet search I just did. Obviously that's a long drive. Don't know about pets. Just giving you a heads up. The rates are reasonable.

That's just a couple. Google Ramada and the state you want and then look at the reservation system. You could book on line then make a bee-line there.

I can't imagine your employers will be operating through a serious hurricane so I suspect you'll get time off . . . . .

Also, I suspect your local shelters are going to be a lot more organized and safer than you saw in New Orleans. . . . but I don't know if pets are acceptable.

Good luck.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Jackie467
September 21st, 2005, 03:00 PM
Since you indicated you would be willing to travel as far as California,

Sorry for not clarifying. LA is our abriviation for Louisiana (which I can't spell). to get to la in CA would be like a 16 hour drive.

Luvmypit
September 21st, 2005, 03:25 PM
BAd news jackie

Hurricane Rita reaches Category 5 status with maximum sustained winds of 165 mph, the National Hurricane Center says (CNN)

Please please please go find a safe place to be. You probably wont get the flooding even close to NO so even if you pack up your pets and fam and drive your better off then sticking around. Stay at a motel off of a highway. They are cheap and usually aren't as tight as larger hotels with pets.

Please be safe.

Dog Dancer
September 21st, 2005, 03:33 PM
Jackie, I have to agree with Luvmypit, you and the family need to pack up and get out. Better safe than sorry. How many of you are there? Stay in the car if you have to. I'm sure if you go far enough you can find a roadside motel that will have room. Don't wait until the last minute - honestly - ditch work. I live paycheque to paycheque too, but if you don't live what good's the paycheque??? Stay safe you're all in our prayers and thoughts.

chico2
September 21st, 2005, 03:40 PM
Aww Jackie,this is just terrible,I hope you'll find a place to be safe,even if it means sleeping in your car....hopefully Rita will make a fast exit with not too much damage.
I know someone else who lives in Houston,but I am assuming they are already gone,they have a company-jet at their disposal....
As for the fishtank,I think they could survive for a bit,but not very long...I don't suppose you could get a generator to keep it going?
Hopefully someone else has another solution.. :(
I am also hoping you'll be able to take the puppy with you,having seen the horrible scenes in NO with suffering dogs...
Most of all,be safe..you know we are all thinking of you :love:

Rick C
September 21st, 2005, 03:49 PM
Sorry for not clarifying. LA is our abriviation for Louisiana (which I can't spell). to get to la in CA would be like a 16 hour drive.

Sorry Jackie!!! I thought that was a bit of a wide arc not to be able to find a motel room!!

Unless you're on higher ground in a brick building, I agree you should think about running. Oklahoma City is about eight hours away if I'm looking at the map right.

The Houston Chronicle site is updating all the time.

http://www.chron.com/#

EDIT: Saw this paragraph in a Chronicle story:

One reason so many residents were trying to get out of town before they had to: Once a mandatory evacuation begins, residents will no longer get to choose their own evacuation routes. Roads will be blocked off to funnel traffic to evacuation shelters in designated cities further inland according to a resident's zone.

Sounds like there will be designated shelters along the way.

Best wishes

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

doggy lover
September 21st, 2005, 04:13 PM
Keep us posted on how thing go for you, take care of yourself.

Jackie467
September 21st, 2005, 04:49 PM
well right now a drive that normally takes 45 min. is now taking 4 hours! If we leave it will be tomorrow, we're not sure yet. My mother and I will not go without the dogs and cat. If we can't take them we'll stay. hopefully things will work out. I'll keep you updated as much as possible.

babyrocky1
September 21st, 2005, 05:19 PM
Good Luck Jackie, Im sure you know all of our hearts are with you....Glad to hear that you and your pets will be together! :grouphug:

BMDLuver
September 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM
Praying that Rita does not hit as hard as Katrina and you are safe! :grouphug: If you have Red Roof Inns, they all take dogs as do Motel 8's just in case you find one within reason of you.

Luba
September 21st, 2005, 05:37 PM
Jackie if you think the roads are bad now they will be WORSE tomorrow!!

Please dear, if you can just get out of there!!
How far are you from Daleville MS? There is an Inn there that may have some room for you it is probably a long drive though huh?

My prayers are with you , please get out if you can. I understand about your fish I don't know what to say to try to keep them safe. You know better then I do quite honestly. Can you relocate them to a smaller tank somewhere away from windows in the house like a hallway or washroom? Atleast this would prevent something from faling on the tank and breaking it?

God Bless and you ARE in my prayers dear!!

Prin
September 21st, 2005, 08:12 PM
I heard it's a category 5 now... :eek: I hope you will be ok Jackie. :fingerscr

babyrocky1
September 21st, 2005, 09:02 PM
Does anyone know where it is at the moment or where its headed?

Luba
September 21st, 2005, 09:32 PM
Gulf of Mexico towards Texas

Prin
September 21st, 2005, 11:28 PM
They're supposed to get it Saturday I think. :(

Shamrock
September 22nd, 2005, 12:35 AM
Oh, Jackie, how terrible.. this new approaching hurricane headed your way! My thoughts and prayers are with you, please stay safe and leave just as soon as you possibly can. :grouphug:

chico2
September 22nd, 2005, 07:41 AM
I heard it's headed straight for Galveston,some parts of Houston should be safe,but then again who knows?
I saw people loading their animals on to busses,everyone who has pets can bring them,but they have to be properly caged,that's a little good news in all this disaster. Good Luck Jackie!

Dog Dancer
September 22nd, 2005, 12:15 PM
I'm hoping we haven't had any updates from Jackie because they have left. Luba was right of course that today it's gridlock trying to get out of town. Thinking of you and your Jackie as well as all the others. Glad to hear that the authorities are allowing people to take their pets whenever possible.

doggy lover
September 22nd, 2005, 12:19 PM
They sould let you take your pets as long as they will not be fighting with others, then there would not be the problems that New Orleans, Mississippi and the other areas had with all the poor animals running around starving to death.

Rick C
September 22nd, 2005, 12:43 PM
The latest - traffic at a standstill . . .

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9389157/

The Houston Chronicle is a good site for updates:

http://www.chron.com/

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Luba
September 22nd, 2005, 12:45 PM
Weather manipulation and control, that's what this is all about!

Jackie I hope you're gone!!

Hugs and prayers

Jackie467
September 22nd, 2005, 05:52 PM
Well we couldn't get out so we're staying home. We are on high ground though so we should be okay. We have been preparing as best as possible. there is no plywood left so the best we could do is tape our windows. We have 2 cases of water per person, are going to fill our bathtubs, and have lots of none parishable food. Right now Tomas and my stepdad are on their way to Tomas's house across town. His parents left and went to dallas, but they have 3 generators so they are letting us use one. At least we'll be able to hook up the fish tanks and the refridgerator. Our house is pretty secure and our area doesn't get flooding, though we have moved all our valuables and papers up to the attic anyway. Our windows are rated for 100mph winds so hopefully they won't break. There is no way out now. Everyone on the freeways are running out of gas, they are sending trucks around to fill them but can only get so many.

Tomas's family left for dallas yesterday at 4pm and didn't get there until 2pm today! It's normally a 4 hour drive :eek: We have even taken pictures of everything in our house for insurence puposes. Hopefully everything will work out.

babyrocky1
September 22nd, 2005, 06:07 PM
Wow Jackie good luck again..don't really know what to say except that we are all thinking of you and hope everything is alright...it sounds like you have everything under a much control as possible... :grouphug:

BMDLuver
September 22nd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Good luck Jackie... keep safe! :grouphug:

babyrocky1
September 22nd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Is there still a chance it could hit Louisiana again? Two dogs left to volunteer with the Katrina pets in Louisiana on Wed. am... :eek:

jjgeonerd
September 22nd, 2005, 06:11 PM
Good luck! Glad to hear you have lots of supplies. Hopefully it loses strength before it hits land.

Is Houston at as high of a risk for flooding as New Orleans? I've been there a couple times and I never got the feeling like I was close to the Gulf, but who knows. Looks can be deceiving. I do remember it being extremely flat.

Luba
September 22nd, 2005, 06:19 PM
Jackie if you don't have plywood improvise with 'something' but not metal.
Oh you poor dear you must be frazzled.
Even if you can get some fence planks over your windows to cover part of them that would be beneficial. This way if a tree branch or debris hits it will hit the fence plank. I'd look around see if you can do something to the windows still.

God Bless :grouphug:

glasslass
September 22nd, 2005, 06:20 PM
I just read on msn.com that Rita has changed to a category 4. Hopefully, it'll continue to wind down before it makes landfall!
Jackie, I'm praying for you and yours.

Jackie467
September 22nd, 2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks everyone.

As far as the windows during the storm we will be in the interior of the house, if a tree branch comes at the window at 100mph a fence plank won't stop it so we are just going to stay away from the windows all together.

Houston does flood in certain areas. Those areas were already mandetory evac. That's were tomas's parents live, but up where we are there isn't really any flooding at all. Houston is about 45 miles north of galveston. We always go fishing at galveston, it's not far at all.

Rita is now a cat. 4 but they expect her to strengthen just a bit when she hits the warm shallow waters, but they think she will still be a 4 or possibly even a 3 when she hits. Now she is heading for the west coast of Louisianna, which is good for us because we will then be on the clean side of the storm even though that will bring the eye closer to us. Right now Kingwood (where I live, it boarders houston) could get a direct hit, but we are far enough in land and up on high enough ground they haven't even called a volentary evac of our area not that anyone could get out at this point even if they wanted.

If in the next 14 hours they expect us to get it really bad we will evac. but we have decided to head southwest into Mexico. Those roads are completely clear. We would be heading sort of toward it because it's south but we would get far enough west that we would be safe. But that's only if it's predicted to come straight at us.

doggy lover
September 22nd, 2005, 07:02 PM
Great idea Luba. Jackie you are in my prayers, stay in a hallway or room with no windows when it hits. We will be keeping our :fingerscr for you. Keep us informed with whats happening and after try to get intouch with us so we know you are safe. The worse is waiting to here from someone, so we know that they are ok. Take care.

Rick C
September 22nd, 2005, 09:07 PM
Good luck Jackie to you and your family.

I'm sitting at 4,500 feet above sea level right now and I'd sign over at least half of those right now if I could.

We'll be waiting to hear from you on the other side . . . . or during.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Luba
September 23rd, 2005, 12:18 AM
Watching this one intently!!

Hoping all goes well for you and your family Jackie! :grouphug:

chico2
September 23rd, 2005, 06:40 AM
Jackie,I can't say I blame you for choosing to stay after seeing the people on the highway,some running out of gas and who might very well be caught by the storm.
Water and flooding is a killer but strong winds can be equally so...I am hoping you have a nice sturdy brick-house,that won't blow away..All we can do,is hope for your safety and that of everyone else,please let us know as soon as you can that you're ok :love:
I wonder if Pags is once again in danger??? :sad:

StaceyB
September 23rd, 2005, 09:32 AM
Two news notes

Buses out of the cities and shelters are accepting pets.
Gas trucks are supplying gas to motorists travelling out of the cities.

It will be safer stuck on a highway than in the direct path of the hurricane.

Dog Dancer
September 27th, 2005, 03:30 PM
So Rita came and left, where are you Jackie??? Hope all is well.

StaceyB
September 27th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I was wondering that myself. I hope all is ok.

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Me too! Jackie, I hope you are ok, and that the storm wasn't too devastating in your area... :fingerscr :grouphug:

Jackie467
September 27th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I'm ok. Luckly the storm turned east at the last minute putting us on the clean side. We were out of electricity until today, but the generator keep the fridge cold so at least we didn't loose all our food. The internet has been acting up and every time I try to respond it kicks me off, so hopefully this will go through.

My father (doesn't live with me) still doesn't have electricity so we gave him the generator. They predict it will take about 4 to 7 more days to get the electricity back up there. The winds were still pretty high here though. Some of the skyscraper buildings had their windows blown out at the top and there were lots of trees down but not a whole lot else. We were lucky.

Just wanted to let everyone know that we are ok. Doing a lot of clean up, but feel very lucky. My father-in-laws house had a branch come down on it messing up the roof a bit, but other than that he was the only one I know that had damage. We just had a hibiscus bush uprooted, not a big deal.

Prin
September 27th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Not the hibiscus!! :eek: Kidding. I'm really glad you're ok. Thanks for the update. :)

StaceyB
September 27th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Happy to hear all is well. I hope this has been the last one of the year. I don't think the coast can handle another.

Dog Dancer
September 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Glad to hear you made it through Jackie. Thanks for the update now we can relax!

Luvmypit
September 28th, 2005, 03:29 PM
EXHALE...

Glad your ok Jackie!

Jackie467
September 29th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks everyone. It means a lot to me that you all care. School has started back up and my nutty computer teacher expected us to finish our computer papers without any electricity! I mean it's a computer project, how are we suposed to finish it without electricity! sorry mini rant. just irratated right now.

On another note unfortunetly this weekend instead of working on my paper I have to go to Mexico. Tomas's grandfather was put in the hospital last week and is progressivly getting worst so we are going to see him. The doctors don't know if he will make it until next weekend when we were going to go.

I actully had an axiety attack this morning hypervenilated and passed out because I am so stressed (haven't had one of these attacks in a long time so that scarred me because I thought I had gotten past that). My father still doesn't have electricity and his door blew open in the storm when no one was there so his carpet is ruined and needs to be replaced, I have a 10 page paper due tuesday of next week (the computer paper), and I also have a huge speech due in my speech class that same tuesday that I haven't even started yet, and now instead of working on those I have to go to Mexico because of an ailing realitive. I'm almost having another attack just thinking about it!

sorry needed to rant.

doggy lover
October 2nd, 2005, 08:06 PM
I've been away for awile I'm glad to hear that your ok. :D