Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Second Dog

katy82
September 21st, 2005, 01:11 PM
We have been thinking of getting another dog for a little while now and I've been keeping an eye on petfinder for available dogs that we both like and we've found one. Now we're just trying to decide if we should really get one. Are 2 dogs alot more work than 1? We already have our Phil the American Eskimo who is 11 months old and 2 cats. Need advice please! Its such a hard decision.

Dogastrophe
September 21st, 2005, 01:32 PM
My experience has been that one dog was a lot of work, two dogs are four times the work, and three dogs are 16 times the work!! :crazy:

Actually, the biggest mistake we made was getting a 3rd dog before number 2 was both reliably trained AND out of her puppy antics. The two youngest feed off each other's foolishness. That said, had we adopted number 2 and 3 as older dogs rather than at 9 mos and 5 mos, respectively, the work would likely have been much less than we are presently experiencing.

jessi76
September 21st, 2005, 04:17 PM
what type of dog are you interested in for your 2nd? breed? age? any special needs/requirements? (might help people who have advice for you)

I don't have much advice, as I've always only had 1 dog at a time (thus far) but if I were to consider getting a 2nd I'd just be sure I had the time and resources to care for another animal.

if it fits your lifestyle, budget, and your other pets are accepting, then I say go for it!

SnowDancer
September 21st, 2005, 04:41 PM
KATY! I typed a long response and timed out. I also asked in first response what type of dog you are considering. As I seem to be the only other Eskie Mommy who posts I will have some idea of what you will be dealing with - and it might not be pretty - hard to say. At the moment we have only 22 lb. Elmo and the 22 lb. cat. But we have had as many as 5 dogs and 3 cats at one time. Problems occurred when Betas decided he/she was an Alpha-Want-To-Be and attacked the true, benevolent Alphas - happened twice so I had to start the separation thing - was a nightmare for 6 years. First and last dogs were the Alphas - who welcomed everyone. Also, have you ever had a dog that Phil plays with say at the park or at a socialization/training class actually visit you at home? A controlled - out of home environment - without you present to upset the dynamic is totally different than a new dog moving in. Elmo is not Alpha, but he is insecure and is always worried about the Eskie that lives in the mirror - and of course other Eskies have tried to attack him on the street. Phil's personality will definitely come into play here. Elmo's "teacher" at class had an Eskie and would never consider a second Eskie and if considering a second dog would be very, very careful in dog she selected - would also go for opposite sex - and probably older with a calm personality. Elmo is great friends with a Husky/Shepherd mix owned by the lady who babysits him when we are away. The play constantly at her house, cuddle together etc. She is going to bring him to our house. We both expect that when Elmo sees her van - which he recognizes - and her and Jake - outside of our house - he will get all excited. He will let her in with no problem - we both expect he won't be so happy to let Husky in. Could be wrong, but I don't think so. But we will try. It is the insecurity issue that will cause the problem. Elmo is a good natured Eskimo - many are not as you probably have found out. But back to first question - what breed of dog - I am assuming one that could withstand Eskie's rough play - so not a Yorkie!

BeagleMum
September 21st, 2005, 07:48 PM
I just got a second dog 2 weeks ago and it was really the best decision that I ever made. The two of them keep each other busy and they are company for each other when we are gone. I would say, if you can do it, go for it. For me, it is working out great mind you we went with a puppy (8 weeks old) and our other one is 10 months old (both beagles). It's really not much extra work other than the fact that I am getting up through the night for pees again.

Good Luck

katy82
September 21st, 2005, 09:41 PM
The dog we saw was actually another eskie. The dog we're looking at is 10 months old and is a spayed female. The only issues Phil has ever had with dominance are with myself and my fiance and we have fixed this. She has never shown any dominance what so ever to any other dogs in her training classes or trips to the park. She has had other dogs stay in our house. We babysat my parents 6 year old lhasa apso with no problems.

We have the financial means for a second dog and we are living in our new house now which has a fair sized fenced in back yard. My fiance is working straight midnights and i work during the day so the dogs are really never left alone that much.

Snowdancer: I have met a few other eskies although there don't seem to be a lot in London and some of them don't have the same super friendly personality as my Phil does but the one we read about is apparently very friendly to dogs, cat and strangers. If there is one thing Phil is not its insecure! I actually saw her "talking" to herself in the mirror and licking it one day.

As I said we're just thinking about it right now and haven't really decided on anything thats why I would like all the different opinions I can get!

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Prin
September 22nd, 2005, 12:44 AM
(sorry for the length...) :o

Depends on the doggy. If you have a laid back, easy to train doggy, then she'd be easy to pair up and you'd only have one dog to really worry about. If she is high strung and not as well trained as you would like, you could be setting yourself up for super stress...

I have only ever had two doggies at a time (unless one died), and I would say it's the best way. They do take care of each other to a certain extent but to have a really great bond is very lucky.

To have your dogs truly love each other is lucky too. Boo loves Jemma but not so much the other way around. I don't know if Boo could live without Jemma, while Jemma LOVES when she's alone with us. Depends on the doggy. Jemma does calm Boo's separation anxiety a lot though.

My old dogs, a yellow lab and a red dobie, were the opposite. The lab hated all doggies, but tolerated the dobie. The dobie just didn't care about any doggies at all. So it was really like having two separate dogs, not like having a little pack...

We always call Jemma and Boo "Team JemmaBoo" because when they run after something, they bring it back together and they gang up on us when we play football with them. My old dogs would NEVER do that.

It really depends on the personalities and the chemistry between them. If I was you, I would get a male... Not that females are bad, just that it seems to go smoother with a male and a female, and you also get more distinct bonds with each doggie.

As for easier, since money is not an issue, hmmm... If you walk one, you don't really have to walk farther with two (unless it's more energetic). You have to pick up two loads each time, and you have to fill up the water twice as often... You'll also have the potential destruction of two beasties instead of one... You'll have to keep an eye on two schemers instead of one... If you can handle that, then go for it... :D (I'm biased... I think two doggies are better than one...)

SnowDancer
September 23rd, 2005, 11:55 AM
Katy, Maybe ask your vet for opinion on a second Eskie she he/she will know Phil. There is an Eskie board and some people do have more than one Eskimo - in some cases they just ignore each other, in others the dogs must separated during the day and whenever Mom and Dad are out because there is some doubt as to what might happen when supervisors are not there and in others it is all out war. Eskies do not always do well in shelters and once settled in a new home can take control - control of Mom is one thing, control of another unwilling dog is another. There is a woman I meet on the street occasionally who used to have an Eskimo who definitely was a one Eskie in the house dog - unfortunately he died. Her vet called her when there was the huge rescue of over 200 dogs to tell her there was an Eskie there were nursing back to health. She took the dog and I have met her. Very friendly dog with people, and while this woman would like to get a second dog, not a chance would she get a second Eskie as a playmate. She would look for a dog with a much milder temperament - Eskies are high strung as a rule. There are exceptions of course. I would just hate to see you adopt this second Eskie and have it not work out. The odds just aren't as good as I would like - but again, it depends on the dogs. Since Phil is only 11 months, you are in for more high jinks - El will turn 18 months Oct. 1 and he has changed a lot in the past 7 months - improvements in some areas - but has developed other habits. Apparently after the age of 2 (or maybe 3) they mature into the dog that they will be until the next termperament change due to aging etc. I just can't see dealing with 11 and 10 month old Eskies at the same time. Frankly if we ever do adopt another dog, such dog will be at least 3. Good luck with your decision, but I do encourage you to speak with your vet and if you know anyone who has 2 Eskies who will tell you the truth - ask! And I must reiterate in case you do lurk on the Eskie board, read the posts carefully especially as it relates to being kept in crates. I am not a crate person.

LoNScamp
September 24th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Within the last year I lost my last two dogs within 4 months of each other they were 12 and 10. We got the second dog a GSD/Rotti X because the first dog a GSD who came from the THS had behavioural problems and always did better if there was second dog in the house (dogs visited from time to time).

It was a good decision on our part for a variety of reasons including they kept each other company and the GSD's behaviour did improve. The second dog came to use as an 8 week old puppy. She was a very laid back, calm dog and was really easy to train.

I now have a dog I fostered who became my forever dog. My friends' dog often stays with us for several days to a week at a time. They are great together and keep each other busy. The only reason I don't have a second dog is I can't afford one right now. I didn't have insurance for my last two and the last several years of their lives wiped me out financially.

There is a bit more work involved having two dogs, but in my opinion it is well worth it. One of the things I miss most, other than the dogs themselves, who I adored is the joy it gave me watching them interact.

If you choose to get another dog, it is important that the dog you have right now is fairly well trained to make things easier for you.

With no disrespect meant to the vet world, I don't think vets are always the best judge of whether or not a second dog is a good idea, unless of course there is an overt aggression issue. I say this because vets do not see the dog in their own environment and dogs often are stressed when they go to the vet and act very differently than at home.

katy82
September 27th, 2005, 12:27 PM
We are having such a hard time deciding on the whole second dog thing still. The dog we are looking at is still available and we can go meet her if we want too. The rescue seems very good I've read through there entire website. They also only send their dogs out on a trial basis so if something happens and the 2 dogs absolutely do not get along the rescue would take her back. This would obviously be something that we only consider as a last resort.

Snowdancer:
As for asking the vet for his opinion. I'm not sure how well he actually knows Phil as we don't see the same vet every time we go. And as for the eskie tempermant I love it! Its sometimes a challenge as they can be quite stubborn as I'm sure you know but thats one of the reasons I love them for their personality.

We've met a number of different eskies on our trips to the dog park all with different personalities and Phil has gotten along with all of them. Of course the dog park is different than bringing them home with us!

I also like the fact that they would be the same age so they would have about the same energy level. I am very happy with how Phils training has come along. Ever since we moved into our house she has done so much better with everything.

Every person I've talked to has agreed that Phil would do well with another dog in the house. I think its more about my fiance and I being ready for the commitment. Right now his number 1 concern are what the vet bills in the future would be. Has anyone set up a type of savings account for vet bills? Is this a good idea?

katy82
September 27th, 2005, 10:50 PM
My hubby to be and I had another long talk about the possible addition of a new dog and he's just not comfortable with it for the time being. Once he found out that we might actually get the dog I found for adoption he just got a little freaked out about having 4 pets! Better now than later I guess. I'm a little sad about it but it's probably for the best!

JanM
September 28th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Interesting to find this topic today - I've been away from the forum for a while. Just yesterday I arranged to get a baby Golden as a second dog. My husband and I had talked about getting a playmate for Bobby - now a 15-mo. Golden but our situation at the time didn't allow it. The puppy is just 6 weeks right now so she won't come for another 2 weeks. The whole idea of a second dog is to keep each other company and so they will both be playmates - given that they are both Goldens, one neutered male and one to-be-spayed female - I'm truly hoping they do develop a bond and become good friends. The new girl seems to be similar to Bobby in temperament - quiet and laid-back. She has the same facial features as Bobby - broad face and head so that might be an indicator too. Anyway, I really don't think two dogs is that much more work than one - once past the puppy stage that is!
I say do it... and I wish you luck..