Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New kitty has aiming problems...

cutiepie_1980
September 21st, 2005, 11:32 AM
Hi all, I finally found my perfect little cat at a shelter in Ontario. She's a 4 year old female and is a total love-bug so she's absolutely amazing.

The only issue I'm having with her is when she poops. She goes in the litter box and picks a corner, however she then backs up so far that it goes over the edge and right on the floor (I actually saw her do it so I'm sure that's how the presents on the floor are happening). I figured I'd fix that problem easily and got her a covered box. The covered box is great, except when she picks the corners near the door, part falls inside, but part still finds it's way on the floor. I've also tried putting the door back on on her box at home, but she doesn't like the door and refuses to go at all.

I thought maybe it was that the litter box was too small for her, but then she did the same thing when we went to my parent's house, and they have a huge litter box. So basically what I'm figuring is that no matter the litter box, she likes the corners and just backs up too much.

It's not a huge issue in that I put a piece of fiberglass under the box to prevent anything getting on the wood flooring, but if anyone has any suggestions on how I could prevent this I would obviously appreciate it!

Lucky Rescue
September 21st, 2005, 01:11 PM
This is probably why this kitty was dumped at the shelter.

Don't know if it would help, but I've seen round litter boxes at pet supply stores - no corners!

OR (just thinking out loud here) if you could attach or hook a ledge of some sort all around the box under the lip, at least it would catch her misfires. Then you could just tip it back into the box without picking anything up.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea!

Thanks for giving this girl a home!!:)

jessi76
September 21st, 2005, 01:24 PM
maybe a box within a box?

or a box with higher sides, and a high step-in....high enough so she can't get her toosh to the edge (would she jump in & out?)

maybe a trash bag under the box? just throw it out if there's a mess, at least it's a quick & easy clean up.

Lucky Rescue
September 21st, 2005, 01:42 PM

That's a good idea!:)

You could get a very large Rubbermaid storage box and put the litterbox in it. You could put litter around the edges this way.

cutiepie_1980
September 21st, 2005, 04:56 PM

or a box with higher sides, and a high step-in....high enough so she can't get her toosh to the edge (would she jump in & out?)

maybe a trash bag under the box? just throw it out if there's a mess, at least it's a quick & easy clean up.

Oh wow that's a great idea!! I hadn't thought of that at all.. Time to run off an buy a large tupperware!

While I'm at it, since I just got my camera back, time to post some pics and introduce the little lady...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/cutiepie_1980/Nikita005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/cutiepie_1980/Nikita003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/cutiepie_1980/Nikita007.jpg

Lucky Rescue
September 21st, 2005, 05:33 PM
Oh what a pretty little calico! She looks sooooo happy!:)

doggy lover
September 21st, 2005, 05:37 PM
What about a litter box with the lid, thats what my cats use or I'd be forever picking up and wiping up puddles, they both have bad aim. What a sweet kitty.

jessi76
September 22nd, 2005, 09:10 AM
she's a beauty!