Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Dog Is NOT EATING all of the sudden???

zydecohead
September 20th, 2005, 04:54 PM
My 10 year old labrador just went to the vet recently and had blood work done as he is a senior dog and the results were brilliant according to my vet. No problems at all. But in the past few days, he has not been interested in eating his dog food. This is a first, as he always eats in the morning and evening like clockwork, and practically inhales it down every time for 10 years now... so I am perplexed at this new nehavior, even more strange is the fact that he continues to eat treats or biscuits he gets and also continues to beg from me when I sit down to eat. I first tried switching his nutro senior brand to senior evolve thinking that might help as he liked that brand, that didnt work, I tried putting gravy on his food, and that hasnt worked either... I have sat with him and feed him out of my hand and he will gingerly take it maybe swallow a few kibbles then spit out the rest. So I am tottaly perplexed. All other behavior normal, no diarreha, no vomiting...nothing...just doesnt want his food... any guesses, or suggestions please.

Thankyou

dogznfish
September 20th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Make an appt with the vet for x-rays or MRI if they have the capability
My 11 year old BC/lab X was diagnosed with an aggressive tumour in the abdomen and she started off by not eating or being very picky. She lost a lot of weight in a very short period of time. We tested for cushings and practically every blood test under the sky which didn't indicate a problem. She passed away 3 months later.

coppperbelle
September 20th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Maybe a sore tooth. A friends 10 year old recently had to have a tooth removed as it was severely absessed. The only sign was that her nose looked like ski slope from the swelling. Dogs have a high tolerance for pain so you may not see any other signs.

Prin
September 21st, 2005, 12:07 AM
Have you recently switched to senior food? My friend's 13 year old poodle still absolutely refuses to eat senior food...

zydecohead
September 23rd, 2005, 08:03 PM
So I put some canned nutro senior in with the dry and mixed it, and he ate it right up... hes been back on schedule ever since! Thanks for the posts!

Relieved! :angel: